October 23, 2019, 10:13:39 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 40156 times)

November 19, 2017, 08:18:45 PM
Reply #300

Ridge

Don't think cost is an issue, just think its a bad fit at any price, in scenario.

There's a few ways to improve or change things, personnel, formation or reduced ambition.

Silva is not going to get big improvement from individuals, he's not a 3 at back manager, and style wise, he's ambitious.

November 19, 2017, 08:20:13 PM
Reply #301

Ross

Fair point.

The plus side is beginning to look a little light of substance.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 19, 2017, 08:26:18 PM
Reply #302

Rhys

I don't get the arguments about not wanting him as he'd probably want to leave in 2 years, or he's not done a long period at a club. Jose has never done more than 3 years anywhere but he's done well everywhere he has been to a point.

The average length of tenure for football league managers is now under a year, including the pl it's a year and a quarter. Watford have a policy of not really looking to keep managers longer than 2 years regardless how they do. Manages like guardiola in the past have said its hard to do longer than a 3 year cycle at a club because the players stop taking on messages after a certain point. Not many managers stay at clubs longer than 3 years now, simeone is one of the anomolies however even atletico are starting to slip a bit, concede more goals, win less games, points per game dropping etc.

I think we should stop worrying about whether a manager will want to be here for longer than 2 years and look to build something long term. If we got silva he is great for 2 years and moves on so be it, we get another good manager and try to move on from there.

November 19, 2017, 08:27:23 PM
Reply #303

GrantyBoy78

Allardyce and West Brom are a perfect match, both shite at everything they do
People in glass houses...

November 19, 2017, 08:30:11 PM
Reply #304

kramer0

I don't get the arguments about not wanting him as he'd probably want to leave in 2 years, or he's not done a long period at a club. Jose has never done more than 3 years anywhere but he's done well everywhere he has been to a point.

The average length of tenure for football league managers is now under a year, including the pl it's a year and a quarter. Watford have a policy of not really looking to keep managers longer than 2 years regardless how they do. Manages like guardiola in the past have said its hard to do longer than a 3 year cycle at a club because the players stop taking on messages after a certain point. Not many managers stay at clubs longer than 3 years now, simeone is one of the anomolies however even atletico are starting to slip a bit, concede more goals, win less games, points per game dropping etc.

I think we should stop worrying about whether a manager will want to be here for longer than 2 years and look to build something long term. If we got silva he is great for 2 years and moves on so be it, we get another good manager and try to move on from there.

Agreed. I think we need someone better, and more influential, than Walsh to make it work, though.

November 19, 2017, 08:37:49 PM
Reply #305

MmmblueBernard

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

November 19, 2017, 08:42:03 PM
Reply #306

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

November 19, 2017, 09:02:16 PM
Reply #307

Evertonian in NC

and surely if he moved on in 2 years time, what is left behind would be a lot more palatable than the ashes of, say, Sam Allardyce's "just keep 'em up and graft 10% off the top" short terming.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 19, 2017, 09:23:09 PM
Reply #308

Rhys

and surely if he moved on in 2 years time, what is left behind would be a lot more palatable than the ashes of, say, Sam Allardyce's "just keep 'em up and graft 10% off the top" short terming.

It's like with west brom, when they sack pulis whoever takes over will take over a set of players who will have had probably on average 30-35% possession a game over a few year period. If they think the fans are bored of his style and want a manager who will play more football that's a tough job for someone to transform how a team play quickly who are so used to playing without the ball and focussed pretty much everything on defensive setup.

November 19, 2017, 09:56:02 PM
Reply #309

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

That's true and I'm one of the ones concerned about his inability to stick around. If we get him, give him no more than a 2 year contract then.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 19, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
Reply #310

Evertonian in NC

NBCSN sure thinks he's coming.  "Everton's former manager shaking hands with perhaps its next manager."

Got $200 on the Hammers winning this...
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 19, 2017, 10:16:50 PM
Reply #311

Lxxx

I don't think anyone is arguing that point to be honest. I've read a few doubts about whether he might be the right man for the job but none really querying his past length of tenure (unless I haven't read back over the thread enough).

November 19, 2017, 10:17:08 PM
Reply #312

sam of the south

Watching Watford here, they press well and in the right areas.

Also, for the goal, they really used the full width of the pitch, with both the winger and wing-back combining well, and they had the box filled with options for knock downs and rebounds.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 19, 2017, 10:19:14 PM
Reply #313

Lxxx

It's like with west brom, when they sack pulis whoever takes over will take over a set of players who will have had probably on average 30-35% possession a game over a few year period. If they think the fans are bored of his style and want a manager who will play more football that's a tough job for someone to transform how a team play quickly who are so used to playing without the ball and focussed pretty much everything on defensive setup.

Which makes it all the more important we have some kind of vision for the club as a whole. Some sort of identity of who we are as a club to ensure we have consistency of recruitment, both player and manager.

November 19, 2017, 10:27:11 PM
Reply #314

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

It's not two years though, if he comes he will have lasted less than a year at each of his last 4 clubs.

And all due respect to Guardiola but Alex Ferguson among others might beg to disagree.