July 18, 2018, 02:46:12 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 27661 times)

November 22, 2017, 03:26:46 AM
Reply #420

Cozzie

Old hairy hands.

It's just banter Keysie!

November 23, 2017, 08:46:00 PM
Reply #422

Macca77

Silva refuses to comment on Everton speculation
Newcastle United v Watford (Saturday, 15:00 GMT)

Marco Silva has been repeatedly linked with the Everton job, but the Watford manager is certainly not in the mood to give any information away today.

"I will answer straight, I'm here to talk about our match, Newcastle v Watford and nothing more," says Silva.

"I won't give one more word about this situation. Newcastle-Watford. If you want I will answer 10 or 20 questions for you on that.

"The most important thing for me is Newcastle-Watford. The fans know what is most important for us. We are fully focused on our next game."

November 23, 2017, 09:21:58 PM
Reply #423

everton1952

Good man. Stick to your guns.

December 05, 2017, 08:30:59 AM
Reply #424

BlueMaquis

Watford manager Marco Silva says Everton boss Sam Allardyce's comparison of the pair's track record "does not make sense".

Everton failed in an approach for Silva before appointing the ex-England boss.

Allardyce, 63, said Silva's record had no comparison with his as "he got Hull City relegated last season".

"Go and see what he [Allardyce] was doing when he was 40 years old, or see what he was doing in his first seven seasons as a coach" said Silva.

"Then look at what I am doing at the same age - or you can wait until I am 63 years old, and then we can compare what I have done."

Silva started his managerial career with Estoril and guided them to promotion into Portugal's top division before joining Sporting and leading them to Portuguese Cup success in 2015.

He moved to Olympiakos and claimed a Champions League group-stage victory at Arsenal in September 2015 in a season which ended with him guiding the side to the Greek top-flight title.

Allardyce began his managerial career as player-manager of League of Ireland side Limerick in 1991 aged 36 and he led them into the Republic of Ireland's top flight after winning the first division.

He went on to become caretaker manager of Preston before becoming Blackpool boss just before his 40th birthday.

"I read what he said, but when he made this comparison it does not make sense," added Silva, speaking to the Mirror.

"It's like me comparing the five goals [Watford forward] Richarlison has scored in the Premier League with [Stoke striker] Peter Crouch.

"Crouch is nearly 37, Richarlison is 20 - Crouch has played so many games and Richarlison far less."

Have to say I think Silva is wrong here. He thinks Sam is judging him, but it's really about his suitability for the position.

It just seems a bit of an oversensitive thing to say. Not too fussed we didn't get him based on these comments.

December 05, 2017, 11:11:46 AM
Reply #425

Bluedylan

Have to say I think Silva is wrong here. He thinks Sam is judging him, but it's really about his suitability for the position.

It just seems a bit of an oversensitive thing to say. Not too fussed we didn't get him based on these comments.

Nah, Sam was judging him and was massively on the defensive, referencing Silva's relegation with Hull for no reason at all. He does have a massive chip on his shoulder about the way he's perceived (the 'Allerdici' thing), rightly or wrongly.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 05, 2017, 11:57:21 AM
Reply #426

BlueMaquis

Nah, Sam was judging him and was massively on the defensive, referencing Silva's relegation with Hull for no reason at all. He does have a massive chip on his shoulder about the way he's perceived (the 'Allerdici' thing), rightly or wrongly.

You don't think a relegation on your CV is relevant when appointing someone to escape relegation? I seem to recall quite a few people on this very forum worried about his Hull relegation, so it's not just Sam.

December 05, 2017, 12:43:05 PM
Reply #427

Bluedylan

You don't think a relegation on your CV is relevant when appointing someone to escape relegation? I seem to recall quite a few people on this very forum worried about his Hull relegation, so it's not just Sam.

No but it was the way Sam said it. Like he was waiting to set the record straight about not being appreciated like sexy, younger, European managers. He'd have been better not rising to the bait, but he can't resist.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 05, 2017, 01:03:27 PM
Reply #428

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No but it was the way Sam said it. Like he was waiting to set the record straight about not being appreciated like sexy, younger, European managers. He'd have been better not rising to the bait, but he can't resist.

Similarly Silva, it seems!

December 05, 2017, 02:00:58 PM
Reply #429

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think sams truculent interviews could go either way with Everton fans. Will end up getting on my nerves I think, thumbs stuck in his braces, chewing away gunning for other managers or opposition players he thinks are ‘fairies’ etc. etc.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 05, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
Reply #430

Lxxx

Think Silva was well within his right to mention something and what he said was reasonable. He didn't start this debate, it was our new manager trying to get on the front foot for no reason which kicked it off. It was in poor taste and totally unnecessary.

December 05, 2017, 03:01:35 PM
Reply #431

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Think Silva was well within his right to mention something and what he said was reasonable. He didn't start this debate, it was our new manager trying to get on the front foot for no reason which kicked it off. It was in poor taste and totally unnecessary.

Both sticking up for each other’s point of view / career.

Allardyce would have been asked direct about Silva (in comparison to himself), as in “you’re not as good”. 

Doesn’t need to respond (like that) but then neither does Silva.

It’s not a big deal, I don’t think.

December 05, 2017, 03:10:42 PM
Reply #432

Lxxx

Both sticking up for each other’s point of view / career.

Allardyce would have been asked direct about Silva (in comparison to himself), as in “you’re not as good”. 

Doesn’t need to respond (like that) but then neither does Silva.

It’s not a big deal, I don’t think.

It's not a big deal but it clearly sets a tone which was completely unnecessary. The perception of Allardyce as having a fairly large chip on his shoulder has been reinforced within days of starting a new job and he's experienced enough to know better. I didn't like the man when he wasn't our boss and acting like a petulant kid at 63 years old isn't a great way of ingratiating yourself to your new fanbase. Of course I'm slightly biased.

December 05, 2017, 03:28:16 PM
Reply #433

Jamokachi

They're both only responding to loaded questions from the media. No need for there to be a song and dance.

December 05, 2017, 04:25:02 PM
Reply #434

MrWhite

They're both only responding to loaded questions from the media. No need for there to be a song and dance.

That's a fair comment. I often get quite irritated by the way the press questions are not included with the widely reported quotes of what people say. Context is king.