September 20, 2018, 06:19:24 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 29414 times)

November 18, 2017, 04:48:20 PM
Read 29414 times

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
We can't just throw money around constantly over paying for people. It's shows desperation on our part and it's something Moshiri continues to do.

Only so far a club can do this for before it all falls apart.

You can also view it as part of a learning curve for Moshiri.

The man has never owned a football club before, and all his previous success has come through his relationship with Usmanov. Whilst Everton may not be the biggest project he has taken on from a financial perspective, it is without doubt his most challenging and one that he is (so we are led to believe) doing entirely on his own. He was never going to get every decision right.

In a venture like this mistakes are going to be made, and you'd like to think he recognised it wouldn't all be plain sailing when he came on board. City didnt get it right when they first got rich. These things can take time.

Whilst no one wants to see us get it wrong, the more important thing is that Moshiri has deep pockets, is hopefully in it for the long term, and learns from his mistakes.

November 18, 2017, 05:33:10 PM
Reply #1

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Bit off topic and I don't really want to derail your main point, which I generally agree with, but that is one hell of an assuption to make about a self-made billionaire accountant.

Yeah it is. But he got rich entirely off of Usmanovs success and has ridden his coattails for a number of investments after that. He mostly operates in the natural resources sector and, in that space, money and connections talk.

Whereas his money and connections don't put him at any advantage compared to the competition in the Premier League. So I do think it's his biggest challenge, by far, to date.

November 18, 2017, 06:27:55 PM
Reply #2

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
This is a ridiculous argument.

Is anyone saying that they would take Silva for free, but not for 8m?

I'd be amazed if so.

November 18, 2017, 09:59:55 PM
Reply #3

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
i know i chose silva in the poll, but i ve changed my mind.. i'd rather have Tuchel or Simeone, until that point stick with Unsworth...
Silva is good, but i fear after 2 years with us, he will be looking at us as a stepping stone, he doesnt seem to care about sticking with a club..

What makes you think he'd give us two years? If he comes, that'll be his last four clubs he's given less than a year.

November 19, 2017, 10:27:11 PM
Reply #4

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I don't get the arguments about not wanting him as he'd probably want to leave in 2 years, or he's not done a long period at a club. Jose has never done more than 3 years anywhere but he's done well everywhere he has been to a point.

The average length of tenure for football league managers is now under a year, including the pl it's a year and a quarter. Watford have a policy of not really looking to keep managers longer than 2 years regardless how they do. Manages like guardiola in the past have said its hard to do longer than a 3 year cycle at a club because the players stop taking on messages after a certain point. Not many managers stay at clubs longer than 3 years now, simeone is one of the anomolies however even atletico are starting to slip a bit, concede more goals, win less games, points per game dropping etc.

I think we should stop worrying about whether a manager will want to be here for longer than 2 years and look to build something long term. If we got silva he is great for 2 years and moves on so be it, we get another good manager and try to move on from there.

It's not two years though, if he comes he will have lasted less than a year at each of his last 4 clubs.

And all due respect to Guardiola but Alex Ferguson among others might beg to disagree.

November 19, 2017, 10:29:53 PM
Reply #5

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
It's only a minor issue for me though. The bigger one is I don't think his track record merits the position. As the BBC just put it:

"Watford - a club never seemingly more than a month or two away from sacking a manager - are battling to prevent boss Marco Silva from beinglured to Goodison Park.

"Silva has only been in charge for a dozen games, which include a 6-0 home defeat, a home defeat to a Championship side and losses in each of his last three games. He probably can't believe his luck."

November 22, 2017, 02:39:02 AM
Reply #6

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Very hairy man.

Wouldn't get away with that on tv these days.

December 13, 2017, 07:32:13 PM
Reply #7

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
All a bit Martinez isn't it.

December 16, 2017, 10:24:03 PM
Reply #8

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Losing 3-0 now at home to Huddersfield, a team that have scored about 2.6 goals all season.

Where's everyone who was so insistent we get Silva now?

Honestly, it's as if we hadn't already tried out having a manager who can't defend for shit and whose only PL achievement is getting a club relegated.

December 17, 2017, 12:29:29 AM
Reply #9

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
There's 12 clubs in the league (13 if you include the opinions of most of our fans) whose squad are not very good.

A high quality manager should be able to get near the top of the pile of that shit heap.