October 20, 2019, 09:19:39 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 40067 times)

November 17, 2017, 04:39:24 AM
Read 40067 times

ally2

Is that manager and assistant? Never heard of them.

Unfortunately the release clause is a piss-take.  Back to square 1 it is

November 18, 2017, 12:17:42 AM
Reply #1

ally2

November 18, 2017, 05:06:13 PM
Reply #2

ally2

This is modern football.  Like it or lump it.  I'm near lumping it, but that is more because of fans than owners and players.

November 19, 2017, 02:58:12 PM
Reply #3

ally2

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watfords-marco-silva-faces-having-11544030

Watford want 15 million according to this. They can certainly keep him for that. I see nothing in him that justifies that outlay.

He'll resign probably, or the threat of it will bring down the fee. We need a manager though, and we'll have to pay for it.

November 20, 2017, 01:04:09 AM
Reply #4

ally2

He can battle his position out with Rooney, Sig, Klaassen, Barkley & Vlasic then.

And Dowell

November 20, 2017, 01:12:02 AM
Reply #5

ally2

December 17, 2017, 05:36:41 AM
Reply #6

ally2

I am continually impressed with Allardyce's hair actually!  Great hair line and coverage for his age.

December 31, 2017, 10:44:25 PM
Reply #7

ally2

We don't need stabilising. Stabilising is going massively backwards.

Also having vast swathes of the club's fanbase despising the hoofball that we play does nothing to stabilise anything. It's massively destabilising and divisive.

I see you've gone down the route of typing 'hoofball' in every post. Mud sticks I suppose but it's real lowest common denominator stuff.

December 31, 2017, 10:48:03 PM
Reply #8

ally2

When the hoofball stops, I promise I'll stop typing it.

We haven't been playing it

December 31, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Reply #9

ally2

Dunno what you've been watching if you think that

There's a difference between making defensive clearances as a part of defending, and using long balls as a primary way to attack. If you want to criticise the team for being defensive (and therefore having to make more clearances) then I've no issue with that, and I'd like us to attack more as well but if you think this is long ball football a la Wimbledon c.1988 then you're wrong.

December 31, 2017, 11:16:43 PM
Reply #10

ally2

90% of our attacks start with a Pickford long ball up the pitch.

Granted it's been that way for most of the season, but we've regressed offensively under allardyce and there's been no desire to get the ball on the deck and play.

I don't actually have a problem with being direct and playing long. My issue is having no one within 30 yards of the striker because we defend so deep.

I'm also confused why our striker is always left so isolated.

90% is a big exaggeration though. And anyway a keeper kicking to a centre forward also does not constitute hoofball - it's either a necessary clearance under pressure or a goal kick. And I agree that playing these pieces short to likes of Williams and Jagielka would be a bad idea.

January 01, 2018, 07:38:19 PM
Reply #11

ally2

This seems to be developing into a discussion between those who "believe" Sam will succeed and those who don't. You will probably have to scratch around to find anyone who really believes he will turn us into an attractive attacking side. The fact is we have him, even though possibly he was the choice of very few. He deserves to be backed and not condemned outright by some who seem to be hoping to be proved right that he will make a mess of it. I hope when he goes in 18 months he will leave us in far better shape than when Koeman left. That is why I support him and want to give him the full benefit of the time he has left.

I agree with most of that.  I don't 'believe' anything though.  I don't want to be proved right or wrong.  What I want is for our manager to be given plenty of time and his own signings to see what he can do.  I reject the prevailing thought that what we are seeing now is what we will see in the future.  It will be different.  If it is felt that we need to be defensive and pragmatic in the intervening period then so be it.  If people don't like watching it then boo hoo.  I have no idea idea where this pompous attitude came from.  We've been shit for decades.