October 16, 2018, 11:11:41 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 30269 times)

January 01, 2018, 04:24:07 PM
Reply #540

Simon Paul

Administrator
So I guess you wanted to keep Roberto Martinez??

Are they the only two managers left in the wild?

How bad was that car park fire FFS?

January 01, 2018, 07:23:29 PM
Reply #541

everton1952

This seems to be developing into a discussion between those who "believe" Sam will succeed and those who don't. You will probably have to scratch around to find anyone who really believes he will turn us into an attractive attacking side. The fact is we have him, even though possibly he was the choice of very few. He deserves to be backed and not condemned outright by some who seem to be hoping to be proved right that he will make a mess of it. I hope when he goes in 18 months he will leave us in far better shape than when Koeman left. That is why I support him and want to give him the full benefit of the time he has left.

January 01, 2018, 07:27:13 PM
Reply #542

therealdunc

He’s a quality experienced manager , most Evertonians are clueless, on this forum the majority wanted Unsworth as manager  lolol lolol  lolol

Let’s leave the professionals like Sam to get on with managing the team and the real fans amongst us can get on with supporting the boys in the royal blue shirts.

See you all in the taxi club at 4pm for pre match refreshments
Blue

January 01, 2018, 07:38:19 PM
Reply #543

ally2

This seems to be developing into a discussion between those who "believe" Sam will succeed and those who don't. You will probably have to scratch around to find anyone who really believes he will turn us into an attractive attacking side. The fact is we have him, even though possibly he was the choice of very few. He deserves to be backed and not condemned outright by some who seem to be hoping to be proved right that he will make a mess of it. I hope when he goes in 18 months he will leave us in far better shape than when Koeman left. That is why I support him and want to give him the full benefit of the time he has left.

I agree with most of that.  I don't 'believe' anything though.  I don't want to be proved right or wrong.  What I want is for our manager to be given plenty of time and his own signings to see what he can do.  I reject the prevailing thought that what we are seeing now is what we will see in the future.  It will be different.  If it is felt that we need to be defensive and pragmatic in the intervening period then so be it.  If people don't like watching it then boo hoo.  I have no idea idea where this pompous attitude came from.  We've been shit for decades.

January 01, 2018, 07:47:05 PM
Reply #544

Juanito

Its highly likely he is a stop gap. The moment Moshiri finds someone that appeals to him, Allardyce will be gone. Unless of course, Allardyce does something outstanding but the reality is, he is not an outstanding manager or coach.

January 01, 2018, 07:49:18 PM
Reply #545

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Sam is here for the short term. He has 18 months on his contract. It likely means he'll only be here til summer and be given a 6 million handshake. In the time leading up to that, I hope to hell the board are sourcing a manager who will take us forward and be installed as manager well before the transfer window opens. Or at least, do a Man City where he is able to see the last few games of the season and get to know the players so he can plan transfer activity in and out etc.

In that time, we should be stable. We'll know who is the future and who isn't. We'll get rid of some dead wood this month and sign a few players who can make a difference in the future.

We're now safe, we won't be getting relegated. The first part of the mission is pretty much done. We've taken several steps backwards, but hopefully we can move forward.

Fuck knows who it will be to take us forwards though.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

January 01, 2018, 08:00:15 PM
Reply #546

KoemansNumberTens

I agree with most of that.  I don't 'believe' anything though.  I don't want to be proved right or wrong.  What I want is for our manager to be given plenty of time and his own signings to see what he can do.  I reject the prevailing thought that what we are seeing now is what we will see in the future.  It will be different.  If it is felt that we need to be defensive and pragmatic in the intervening period then so be it.  If people don't like watching it then boo hoo.  I have no idea idea where this pompous attitude came from.  We've been shit for decades.

The last line is exactly the point. We've been shite as long as some of us have been alive and yet people talk as if allardyce doesn't understand the Everton way.
We've had 3 managers this season and not played well in both defence and attack in any game. We've probably not played well more than a couple of seasons in the last 10

January 01, 2018, 08:32:53 PM
Reply #547

Dr. Sponge

The last line is exactly the point. We've been shite as long as some of us have been alive and yet people talk as if allardyce doesn't understand the Everton way.
We've had 3 managers this season and not played well in both defence and attack in any game. We've probably not played well more than a couple of seasons in the last 10

True. We had good results for the first 5 games last season, but then we were shit up until around Christmas time/when Bolasie got injured. Then we went on a good run, until the start of this season when we were shit again.

I think we're just a bit shit tbh lads. We need a few fullbacks, a couple of strikers, a playmaker and some pace in the final third.

As for style of play, I wouldn't mind playing off a target man and then high tempo in the final third. I don't see the problem with that, but that's certainly not our current style as we don't have the players for it. Nor do we have the players to play like Arsenal. If you attempt an Arsenal-type style with players of lower quality, then this league will destroy you, especially with the high pressing tactics that a lot of teams play now.

January 01, 2018, 09:24:31 PM
Reply #548

Simon Paul

Administrator
He's a quality experienced manager , most Evertonians are clueless, on this forum the majority wanted Unsworth as manager  lolol lolol  lolol

Let's leave the professionals like Sam to get on with managing the team and the real fans amongst us can get on with supporting the boys in the royal blue shirts.

Nope. The majority on here didn't want Unsworth to have the job permanently.

"Real fans" - yeah, because there's such a thing as a distinction between "levels" of supporter. There's not, just levels of idiot, which you score highly on. Or lowly. Whichever you take as the bigger insult.

Enjoy the taxi club, although you've probably just lost them some business now people know whoppers like you drink in there.

January 01, 2018, 09:50:26 PM
Reply #549

sam of the south

He’s a quality experienced manager , most Evertonians are clueless, on this forum the majority wanted Unsworth as manager  lolol lolol  lolol

Let’s leave the professionals like Sam to get on with managing the team and the real fans amongst us can get on with supporting the boys in the royal blue shirts.

You lost me at 'the majority wanted Unsworth as manager trollollol'

A fair few wanted him to succeed (I wanted him to do well in the caretaker position but I definitely didn't want him appointed as permanent manager) because he's a good lad and a passionate Evertonian, but after the first two or three games nearly everyone on this site conceded that it rightly wasn't going to happen for him.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 01, 2018, 09:57:36 PM
Reply #550

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
True. We had good results for the first 5 games last season, but then we were shit up until around Christmas time/when Bolasie got injured. Then we went on a good run, until the start of this season when we were shit again.

I think we're just a bit shit tbh lads. We need a few fullbacks, a couple of strikers, a playmaker and some pace in the final third.

As for style of play, I wouldn't mind playing off a target man and then high tempo in the final third. I don't see the problem with that, but that's certainly not our current style as we don't have the players for it. Nor do we have the players to play like Arsenal. If you attempt an Arsenal-type style with players of lower quality, then this league will destroy you, especially with the high pressing tactics that a lot of teams play now.

We’re not awful otherwise we wouldn’t finish 7th / be 9th now.

Our problem is that we’ve never been firmly in the top 4 previously or the top 6 now.

We’ve been doing well to be close but still some way off.

Even in 13/14 we finished 5 points off 4th.

We’re (a bit) better than the rest of the league but not by enough that when we’re poor, we’re poor.

The top 6, when they are bad, are average at worst.

We’re swimming against the tide (quality wise) in comparison to the top six in that it takes real effort to get close and that when we need a breather we slip right back out again.

Arsenal don’t have to play well to finish in the top 6 for example and they’re viewed as a weak link every season.

January 01, 2018, 10:30:38 PM
Reply #551

Dr. Sponge

We're not awful otherwise we wouldn't finish 7th / be 9th now.

Our problem is that we've never been firmly in the top 4 previously or the top 6 now.

We've been doing well to be close but still some way off.

Even in 13/14 we finished 5 points off 4th.

We're (a bit) better than the rest of the league but not by enough that when we're poor, we're poor.

The top 6, when they are bad, are average at worst.

We're swimming against the tide (quality wise) in comparison to the top six in that it takes real effort to get close and that when we need a breather we slip right back out again.

Arsenal don't have to play well to finish in the top 6 for example and they're viewed as a weak link every season.

Yeah fair enough. Shit in relative terms, to the top 6.

But my point is that we're carrying a lot of average players, ageing players or players too young. Sigurdson and Rooney being the only players capable of winning a game or taking control.

So whenever we've tried to play expansive football this season, we've been found out. Our best form has come playing defensively, because we have to. Although the midfield against Bournemouth was a bit over the top.

January 01, 2018, 10:40:40 PM
Reply #552

KoemansNumberTens

Yeah fair enough. Shit in relative terms, to the top 6.

But my point is that we're carrying a lot of average players, ageing players or players too young. Sigurdson and Rooney being the only players capable of winning a game or taking control.

So whenever we've tried to play expansive football this season, we've been found out. Our best form has come playing defensively, because we have to. Although the midfield against Bournemouth was a bit over the top.

I don't think even rooney and Sigurdsson are capable of controlling a game. We spend half of every game moaning about Rooneys careless passing and Sigurdsson has had a few decent game and he's not had 1 where he's looked like a playmaker never mind a 45m playmaker

January 01, 2018, 10:56:10 PM
Reply #553

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think the quality of the squad has definitely slipped as well. Genuinely only think Gueye and maybe Pickford would get into top 6 squads, let alone first team. Previously we’ve always felt like 3-4 top players away, now we’re 8-9.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 01, 2018, 11:16:01 PM
Reply #554

KoemansNumberTens

I think the quality of the squad has definitely slipped as well. Genuinely only think Gueye and maybe Pickford would get into top 6 squads, let alone first team. Previously we’ve always felt like 3-4 top players away, now we’re 8-9.

Totally agree. We are a million miles away. I think you can kind of compete defensively with lesser players and great organisation. However we'd still need a lot more threat from full back then we currently have and a whole near set of attacking players

It's not so much that we are short. It's that everyone in the top 6 have at least 1 great attacking player. We don't even have a good 1.