January 21, 2018, 03:01:28 PM

Author Topic: Jonjoe Kenny  (Read 7379 times)

December 11, 2017, 03:12:28 PM
Reply #135

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone forget Colemanís poor form for several months prior to his injury?

He was our best player

December 11, 2017, 03:13:22 PM
Reply #136

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Then you are, in fact, suggesting otherwise. And you are, like we all have before when evaluating young players, undervaluing Coleman and overvaluing Kenny. The same thing happened in the cases of Oviedo, Garbutt, and Galloway when Baines had to miss games in the past, and with Holgate when Coleman missed games in the past.

I actually do think that Kenny is a better prospect than Oviedo, Garbutt, Galloway, or Holgate (at outside back). But you are making pretty huge claims based off of Kenny's very small sample size of work. And seemingly forgetting how great Coleman is (both going forward and on the defensive side of the ball). Otherwise, I can't see how you could justify your pretty crazy suggestion that Big Sam will actually hesitate to play Coleman (one of the top 3 RBs in the prem over the last 5+ years) over Kenny (a 20-year old with around 12 starts to his name).

Proper gone off on one here.

December 11, 2017, 03:29:44 PM
Reply #137

howard1334

I think he just means that Sam 'may' like the stability of keeping the back line the same, rather than bed Coleman in when he comes back from injury, as Kenny hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped.

Top marks for proper overcomplicating it though. 

Thank you.

December 11, 2017, 03:42:15 PM
Reply #138

Rodenplav64

We do this every time with young players. Coleman should and will start once he is healthy, assuming, of course, that his injury has not caused his ability to regress considerably.

It will be good to have 2 quality players in the same position . One of the best when he gets fit and a very good deputy for when he isn't . Look how that side was targeted by the opposition while the lad gained experience . Growing in confidence with every game and no need to waste any money covering that position .

December 11, 2017, 03:44:23 PM
Reply #139

howard1334

It will be good to have 2 quality players in the same position . One of the best when he gets fit and a very good deputy for when he isn't . Look how that side was targeted by the opposition while the lad gained experience . Growing in confidence with every game and no need to waste any money covering that position .

Don't disagree with any of that. Really happy to see how he is coming along. Thought he was not athletic enough for the prem, but he looks to be proving me wrong.

Just don't think it is even a question Coleman comes back in once healthy.

December 11, 2017, 04:01:24 PM
Reply #140

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He was our best player
Not having that. Certainly nowhere near the heights of his performance in Martinez first season.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

December 11, 2017, 05:10:29 PM
Reply #141

Lxxx

Don't get this obsession with our fans tying to shoehorn decent players into other positions for fear of having more than one boss player for the same spot. It's small time mentality.

Let Coleman and Kenny fight it out for the right back slot and may the best player win. It's what the bigger clubs do all the time and what makes players hungry to find that extra % in games to improve the team as a whole. Get that all round the park and success will come.

December 11, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
Reply #142

Rodenplav64

Don't get this obsession with our fans tying to shoehorn decent players into other positions for fear of having more than one boss player for the same spot. It's small time mentality.

Let Coleman and Kenny fight it out for the right back slot and may the best player win. It's what the bigger clubs do all the time and what makes players hungry to find that extra % in games to improve the team as a whole. Get that all round the park and success will come.

I think it comes from the fact that our previous Managers for whatever reason have shoehorned as a matter of course .

December 11, 2017, 08:15:09 PM
Reply #143

Rhys

Pochettino has been really good with full backs and knows he needs 4 good ones. He asks his full backs to put in a huge amount of energy game after game so rotates the wing back positions more often than he does his attacking positions so it would be nice to finally have an alternative right back.

A lot obviously depends on how Coleman comes back, but when he is fit and if he comes back to where he was before then he is our main right back because he's been a quality full back going forward and at the back for a long time. Kenny has done really well, growing every game defensively and in the West Ham and Huddersfield games he started to show he can offer something going forward whereas before he was focused on staying back.

It would be great if Kenny becomes a genuine alternative and long term replacement for coleman but when Coleman is back fit and ready to start regularly we should be looking to get him into the team because of the level he is at consistently.

But definite praise for Kenny not just the consistency he has been showing (aside from dropping deep a lot) he has handled some very tricky wide players with a lot of confidence. Richarlison couldnt get much joy out of him, Zaha as well barely got past him all game (I know both scored but neither Kenny's doing in my opinion) and mane yesterday. He seems to have that instinct of reading how people will go at him and generally times the challenge well.

December 12, 2017, 12:45:07 AM
Reply #144

ally2

Kenny has one job - make himself undroppable

December 12, 2017, 03:35:34 PM
Reply #145

Macca77

December 12, 2017, 05:25:13 PM
Reply #146

everton1952

I hope when Coleman comes back into the team Kenny is not switched to another position. Big clubs have top players for each position. Time is on Kenny's side.

December 12, 2017, 07:10:15 PM
Reply #147

Hawkandro

If Kenny continues with his form, then Coleman starts on the bench and bides his time.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

December 12, 2017, 07:59:48 PM
Reply #148

Bluenose 91

Woke up this morning feelin' fine
Got Jonjoe Kenny on my mind

December 12, 2017, 10:37:18 PM
Reply #149

Tofifee

Pickford
Coleman Keane Kone Kenny
Rooney Gana
Bolaise Barkley