November 21, 2018, 11:31:39 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce appointment marks new low point in Everton history  (Read 14726 times)

November 29, 2017, 09:40:53 PM
Read 14726 times

Lxxx

Bit of a sensationalist headline. Granted it's not great but a new low? In our history?  Come on.

November 29, 2017, 10:38:54 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

This is the kind of appointment I would have expected after Moyes, very much in keeping with our club at the time. Since then we've finished 5th and 7th, played in Europe twice, flirted with top 4 for a while last season and spent more money than ever in our history. We were moving in the right direction it seemed, away from the old self limiting era, albeit with a few hiccups along the way. It's now feels like we've being tempted by a very fit lady only to get back to hers and for her to pull her cock out.

November 29, 2017, 11:18:14 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Watching Allardyce will probably be very much like a Koeman side, only without the maverick talents of Lukaku and Barkley he had last season. Struggle to see how he can turn this bunch into anything other than 7th at best, which is probably what he'll do. If he gets us back there and does a decent job of replacing Jags, Williams and Baines then I think we can all accept that's a good job.

November 29, 2017, 11:27:38 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

I think all we can hope is that this is Allardyce's career peak. It's unlikely but it's not completely impossible

At £5m a year it is way way past where he could have ever expected his peak to be.

November 29, 2017, 11:52:44 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

He's often complained he has been overlooked for bigger jobs, this is his only chance to prove everyone (and that include the majority of us) completely wrong. That's what I am clutching at.

I know. This is about as good as it gets for him and his band of merry men. There's the platform Sam, the floor is yours.

November 30, 2017, 04:38:11 AM
Reply #5

Lxxx

I think this is a very good question.

Whilst I’m hugely disappointed with the beyond lazy appointment, I’m not quite sure what doing well would be with Allardyce.

He’s probably averaged out at about 14th (generous) in his career. Is “doing well” 10th/11th?

I’m genuinely confused. Apart than “not get relegated” I’m not quite sure why this dinosaur has been brought in. Can’t figure it out.

If we finish 7th and end the season playing like a proper team again, with some additions in January to sort the front and back out, then I think that'd be as good as we can expect.

November 30, 2017, 04:24:53 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/936155874183217157

Not that I am any great fan of Elstone and Kenwright but since this 'power shift' we've had four managers in 18 months, wasted £150m, been on the fringes of the bottom three, assembled the most disjointed squad for years and just appointed the most underwhelming manager in living memory.

November 30, 2017, 04:50:17 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

Power shift is now isnít it?

Anyway, the underlying point needs to be that there is unity of thought / purpose.

Think the Sigurdsson episode (and Schneiderlin before that) was down to old ways of working where every pound really mattered.

Paying an extra couple of £m for Sigurdsson at the start of the saga would have left weeks to sort everything else out etc; and thatís just one minor thing.

You canít have confusion at the top.

I think the power shift started the day Moshiri acquired his share of the club, it's an ongoing process while the old guard still remain in key positions.

At some point though there has to be a clear statement of intent, a clearly definable strategy put in place moving forwards. If, as expected (and demanded by many) we get a 5th manager in about two years in the summer there needs to be some kind of plan for it. Are we going to go down the route of continuous change or do we try to develop like Sevilla or Atletico for example, whereby it doesn't matter if the manager/head coach/star player leaves as the club still works and plans around an ethos and a model which means personnel change doesn't affect the direction the club heads in.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:52:22 PM by Lxxx »

November 30, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

We've pulled the bonus for staying up haven't we when we've realised we're nowhere near the drop, and he's not happy about it.

November 30, 2017, 09:56:33 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

Is he really that bad. His teams are often better than the sum of the parts. I kind of thought that was the main thing

I honestly think he'll do a very good job here. Think he'll be extremely motivated to prove himself now he's got his big chance

I think there's probably something in that. Whether a 'very good job' takes us where we hope to get to or not I'm unsure but I certainly think we'll improve no question. I reckon if we finish 7th again for the second season running it should be considered back on par and a decent job done under the circumstances.

November 30, 2017, 10:12:56 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

7th would be a resounding success, given where we are. Just curious (and in no way a loaded question); what would you consider a failure, apart from the obvious?

8th.

December 02, 2017, 04:41:27 AM
Reply #11

Lxxx

December 02, 2017, 05:10:30 AM
Reply #12

Lxxx

Beat me to it, what a fucking stupid thing to say

He has an ego which isnít commensurate with his achievements. Which are non existent.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:19:28 AM by Lxxx »

December 02, 2017, 03:01:38 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

Just think heís got a long held grievance that heís under appreciated as a coach (hoof ball as opposed to data driven / survival merchant as opposed to good manager).

Biggest job of his career now. The floor is yours big man.