December 14, 2018, 08:50:28 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 137306 times)

January 21, 2018, 03:07:19 AM
Reply #1440

Lxxx

He should take some responsibility for it, then

I think he was doing to be fair.

That we are at a stage where he’s despairing about the performances only 7 games in is another concerning matter entirely.

January 21, 2018, 03:19:33 AM
Reply #1441

sam of the south

I think he was doing to be fair.

That we are at a stage where he’s despairing about the performances only 7 games in is another concerning matter entirely.

I didn't hear much of that in there really.

He was like Basil Fawlty when the geezer complained about Manuel, and he just said "I know, do you see what I have to put up with!"

He also took full credit for the substitution, even though the saviour was a player he's keen to flog, and he made sure to underline the great job he did in stabilising the ship when he came in, pointing out that it is all the players fault that they have strayed from that early template.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 21, 2018, 03:40:31 AM
Reply #1442

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Aside from Martina all of those players today are better quality that West Broms

There is very sporadic quality in the squad, but as an example today we fielded two youth team players, an aging and badly out of form Williams (whose pinnacle was Swansea) and a makeshift LB.

Genuinely, I’d expect that combination to be horrendous. Easily bottom half of the league stuff.

Just because you stick an Everton badge on them doesn’t make them of a quality needed.

It’s not like we’ve not had benchmarks to compare them to either. Coleman, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines. All at peak ages. How are people seeing what we have now and thinking we have quality?

That’s just the defence too. You could go through most of the side in the same way.

Edit: feel like I should add I do like Kenny and Holgate, but we shouldn’t be relying on them so much at this point in their careers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:11:20 AM by blueToffee »

January 21, 2018, 03:58:14 AM
Reply #1443

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
In terms of transfers, I think Moyes had the best track record overall, Martinez was sorta 50/50 he did at least solve our striker issue for a while and Barry was a solid choice, Koeman...I’m starting to think he barely got any right, Allardyce...yet to be determined however I do like the initial impression of Tosun and I think Walcott is a quality addition.

I think the Koeman/Walsh pairing really has stunk up the squad though. All those players in the door...maybe 2 or 3 working out.

The manager is a problem but it’s as much about recruitment to me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:00:23 AM by blueToffee »

January 21, 2018, 04:07:54 AM
Reply #1444

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In terms of transfers, I think Moyes had the best track record overall, Martinez was sorta 50/50 he did at least solve our striker issue for a while and Barry was a solid choice, Koeman...I’m starting to think he barely got any right, Allardyce...yet to be determined however I do like the initial impression of Tosun and I think Walcott is a quality addition.

I think the Koeman/Walsh pairing really has stunk up the squad though. All those players in the door...maybe 2 or 3 working out.

The manager is a problem but it’s as much about recruitment to me.

That’s one of the problems with buying several players in one go.

If you’re just targeting a LB, it’s more focussed and you’re probably going to play them regardless.

If you buy 4 attacking midfielders, straight away there’s one missing out never mind if you already have some in the squad.

January 21, 2018, 04:17:09 AM
Reply #1445

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
That’s one of the problems with buying several players in one go.

If you’re just targeting a LB, it’s more focussed and you’re probably going to play them regardless.

If you buy 4 attacking midfielders, straight away there’s one missing out never mind if you already have some in the squad.

Right, squad management is an issue and Allardyce does have a point certain areas of our squad could use trimming.

We had a real problem this summer with the task of finding Lukaku’s replacement. However, we seemingly took the opportunity to overhaul the whole squad which did have issues but those issues were fairly focused. Add to that the glaring issues like a striker, a left back and seemingly we knew Barkley was off weren’t even addressed. That is just staggeringly inept. Although, possibly the forgotten man Klaassen may have been an attempt to replace Barkley?

While I agree Koeman shouldn’t have been sacked without a plan, but it can’t be understated that whoever was in charge of recruitment this past summer did a mind bogglingly bad job.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:27:45 AM by blueToffee »

January 21, 2018, 04:23:06 AM
Reply #1446

bacon sarnie

“The performance is a big blow for me,” he continued. “The first goal, I think an under-11s team could have scored against us, the defending was that bad.”

Fucking clown of the highest order.

January 21, 2018, 04:25:59 AM
Reply #1447

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
“The performance is a big blow for me,” he continued. “The first goal, I think an under-11s team could have scored against us, the defending was that bad.”

Well, in terms of the goal conceded, I don’t think he’s incorrect in this case.

Obviously he has a lot to answer for in that but that comment is a reflection of him doing a bad job as anything.

It was about as bad as Spur’s first goal the other week.

January 21, 2018, 04:26:32 AM
Reply #1448

Ridge

Do you mean he spent less money because he was here for a quarter of the time?

Just in terms of profit and value. Moyes signed some very good players for not a lot, but most his big signings weren't profitable. During his tenure, 2 of Moyes biggest 3 transfers out were Rodwell and Rooney, who came through youth team.

We still have several of RM's bigger signings, McCarthy, Mori, Niasse, youngsters like Holgate etc. But sales of Lukaku and Deulofeu have pretty much paid back all his signings already.

January 21, 2018, 04:31:33 AM
Reply #1449

bacon sarnie

Well, in terms of the goal conceded, I don’t think he’s incorrect in this case.

Obviously he has a lot to answer for in that but that comment is a reflection of him doing a bad job as anything.

It was about as bad as Spur’s first goal the other week.

Aye, depressing having the man in charge of our football team. He had me onside when scraping points but he can fuck off now the blowhard bollox. Seasons ended for me mate. Hopefully relegation isn't an option.

January 21, 2018, 05:05:24 AM
Reply #1450

Lxxx

To be fair he has a point. He wouldn’t expect his captain to go charging out and neglect his defensive duties like that.

On the other hand we had a warning a few minutes earlier.

His whole back four and midfield two aren’t up to scratch at this level unfortunately. He’s having to work with a very poor group of players defensively.

January 21, 2018, 05:36:01 AM
Reply #1451

bluestevie

To be fair he has a point. He wouldn’t expect his captain to go charging out and neglect his defensive duties like that.

On the other hand we had a warning a few minutes earlier.

His whole back four and midfield two aren’t up to scratch at this level unfortunately. He’s having to work with a very poor group of players defensively.

Think we seriously need to ditch the 4-2-3-1 for good now, It hasn't been in any way as effective since Martinez's first season nearly 5 years ago. In all honesty, boring as it is in this modern age, we need to go 4-4-2 and utilise two wingers with 2 strikers
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

January 21, 2018, 05:52:34 AM
Reply #1452

Ridge

Other than Barry, we've still got the same keeper, defenders, defensive midfielders we had last season.

Our problem is more to do with building play and creating chances. A boxer who can't throw a punch is going to get a pasting, not because his defence isn't good enough.

January 21, 2018, 06:19:14 AM
Reply #1453

toffee_scot

I'm wondering, now that we mostly only have 1 game a week and plenty of training sessions in between games, what the hell does the current manager and his coaching staff actually work on with the players?

January 21, 2018, 06:21:30 AM
Reply #1454

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Thought Big Sam said the right things today after the match. Clearly frustrated with the performance.

He says the same thing after every game though. Surely he should fix it then. I mean he is the master of sports analytics and getting the best out of players. He has only had three months to teach them to pass a ball and still hasn't been able to. 3 months for us to find a shot on target, 3 months and still no idea what our tactics or plan is. The man is a complete and utter fraud.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...