May 25, 2018, 12:59:03 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 110756 times)

January 22, 2018, 06:26:27 PM
Reply #1560

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah at the time the Chelsea game was fine as it was a point after beating the dross.

However having only got 2 points in the 3 dross games since, its now added to the list of essentially poor performances / results.

The points against L’pool and Chelsea or fine in terms of the result but in terms of performance acceptability we’ve probably had 3 / 4 (including the cup game).

January 22, 2018, 06:52:53 PM
Reply #1561

formerKHL

as I saw it Saturday there was no...

playing out from the back......

no pressing from the front....

no pressing in midfield....

no support to the front man....

no winning of second balls......

no third man running...in any area of the pitch.....which brings no cohesive running off the ball

as our defenders drop deep it makes the pitch bigger...our midfielders cant get up and down enough..so he plays 2 holding midfielders which in turn drops our defenders even deeper.....creating more space for the opposition to play in midfield......

as we drop deeper it then isolates the centre forward and we don't get around the ball enough.....leaving spaces behind him....we need a centre forward who can play with his back to goal and hold up the play and bring our "attacking" midfielders into play.. but who also can play on half turn...and bring our wide men into play....

January 22, 2018, 07:00:18 PM
Reply #1562

Lincs Toffee

no third man running...in any area of the pitch.....which brings no cohesive running off the ball

as our defenders drop deep it makes the pitch bigger...our midfielders cant get up and down enough..so he plays 2 holding midfielders which in turn drops our defenders even deeper.....creating more space for the opposition to play in midfield......

as we drop deeper it then isolates the centre forward and we don't get around the ball enough.....leaving spaces behind him....we need a centre forward who can play with his back to goal and hold up the play and bring our "attacking" midfielders into play.. but who also can play on half turn...and bring our wide men into play....
Just a few tweaks then and we should be on top form again!...pretty much spot on with yours observations mate, think most of us can see it apart from the few that actually matter.
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

January 22, 2018, 07:02:43 PM
Reply #1563

Escla

NSNO Subscriber

Great analysis ! Sad but true.

January 22, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
Reply #1564

KoemansNumberTens

Vastly superior?

You sure?

We've made up about 10 points on them and gone past them. That's vastly superior isn't it. Granted it's a very low bar

January 22, 2018, 07:53:40 PM
Reply #1565

Bluenose 91

Proper shit at the minute like isn't it?

I don't even mind playing direct, long ball if you at least do it well.

West Brom on Saturday fired every ball in to Rondons chest and got players close to him for the second ball.

We just seemed to play a load of hopeless dinks down the channels.

January 22, 2018, 08:03:29 PM
Reply #1566

Gash

Global Moderator
We've made up about 10 points on them and gone past them. That's vastly superior isn't it. Granted it's a very low bar

When Allardyce took over they were six points ahead, now they're two behind. It's hardly vastly superior especially as over the last five games they're WLLDL and we're DLLLD.

January 22, 2018, 08:05:19 PM
Reply #1567

cantoffee

We've made up 6 points on them since Sam took over.

We actually made up as much ground under Unsworth as we did under Sam I believe.

January 22, 2018, 08:17:05 PM
Reply #1568

ajax_andy

26 December 201618   Watford   1–1   Crystal Palace   (D)
1 January 201719   Arsenal   2–0   Crystal Palace   (L)
3 January 201720   Crystal Palace   1–2   Swansea City   (L)
14 January 201721   West Ham United   3–0   Crystal Palace   (L)
21 January 201722   Crystal Palace   0–1   Everton   (L)
31 January 201723   AFC Bournemouth   0–2   Crystal Palace   (W)
4 February 201724   Crystal Palace   0–4   Sunderland   (L)
11 February 201725   Stoke City   1–0   Crystal Palace   (L)
25 February 201726   Crystal Palace   1–0   Middlesbrough   (W)
4 March 201727   West Bromwich Albion   0–2   Crystal Palace   (W)
18 March 201728   Crystal Palace   1–0   Watford   (W)
1 April 201729   Chelsea   1–2   Crystal Palace   
5 April 201730   Southampton   3–1   Crystal Palace   (W)
10 April 201731   Crystal Palace   3–0   Arsenal   (W)
15 April 201732   Crystal Palace   2–2   Leicester City   (D)
23 April 201733   Liverpool   1–2   Crystal Palace   (W)
26 April 201734   Crystal Palace   0–1   Tottenham Hotspur   (L)
29 April 201735   Crystal Palace   0–2   Burnley   (L)
6 May 201736   Manchester City   5–0   Crystal Palace   (L)
14 May 201737   Crystal Palace   4–0   Hull City   (W)
21 May 201738   Manchester United   2–0   Crystal Palace   (W)

I though it would be interesting to look at his record and see when Palace started picking up points under him, it looks like he had the opposite start to us with not having an immediate impact... it took him about 9 games before his changes took effect and they had an upturn in fortunes.

I think the most concerning thing about this is that I thought it would make me feel more confident that it might just take a little while for his methods to start working, however it seems we're about where Palace where in terms of games yet things aren't getting better. 

I'm deeply concerned that he's just totally out of his depth with us, we won't go down but nothing in those stats above make me feel he's going to improve us much unless it happens very soon

January 22, 2018, 08:31:22 PM
Reply #1569

everton1952

So, what is the crisis if we stay up (more than likely) and he goes with a payoff in May? Nobody as far as I know has predicted he would take us into the distant future. Koeman and/or Unsworth might have done worse. The board had to act and did. This season is irrecoverable, so steady the ship, and go again next season with or without my friend Sam depending on our shape and form in the last 3 months of the season.

January 22, 2018, 08:40:25 PM
Reply #1570

gizzblue

So, what is the crisis if we stay up (more than likely) and he goes with a payoff in May? Nobody as far as I know has predicted he would take us into the distant future. Koeman and/or Unsworth might have done worse. The board had to act and did. This season is irrecoverable, so steady the ship, and go again next season with or without my friend Sam depending on our shape and form in the last 3 months of the season.
The longer he stays the harder it's gonna be for the next manager to clean the decks of his anti football no?...you and his other biggest fan on here still blame the departed managers for the shite were in now yes? ....so how long after Sam will you give the new man to rid the club of his shithouse tactics ?....after he finally fucks off or is hopefully binned .

January 22, 2018, 08:49:38 PM
Reply #1571

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I stand by my statement that I've made several times before, that we are the worst "footballing" side in the Prem. We have probably the 7th best squad in the League, but we are the 20th best footballing side. So the obvious problem imo, is our coaching staff, or lack thereof. Moyes' style stagnated us, but at least he had a passion, Roberto's sides tried to play good football, but we just didnt have enough about us at the time. The first 6 games/results really fucked up Koeman and his relationship with the players, so fuck knows where we would have been with a better start, but sorry, Big Sam is just fucking shite - playing sunday league stuff may get us a few points here and there, but once we are safe, fuck him the fuck off to fucksville, as soon as fucking possible. This absolute pile of shite football, is just not good enough, but people need to start realising its not just about players but who coaches them, our tactics, how we respond, our man-management, team spirit, team unity, etc. We are so shit, it fucking hurts.

January 22, 2018, 08:52:51 PM
Reply #1572

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Part of his problem is that, as at Newcastle, there’s little appetite for him to work out in the long term (as an extra to wanting Everton to win anyway).

Somewhere like Palace will have patience. We don’t.

Therefore 1-1s “feel” worse here, boring 1-0 wins are part of the problem rather than something that nearly every team has a fair share of.

It’s hard to shake that.

January 22, 2018, 08:55:59 PM
Reply #1573

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

A 1-1 feels a LOT worse? Understatement of the year. It feels worse especially at Goodison against a team 2nd from bottom, who come here and play better football than us, and should have won. With the money we have spent, we should be bumming West Broms at Goodison.

January 22, 2018, 09:01:26 PM
Reply #1574

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
A 1-1 feels a LOT worse? Understatement of the year. It feels worse especially at Goodison against a team 2nd from bottom, who come here and play better football than us, and should have won. With the money we have spent, we should be bumming West Broms at Goodison.

Yes I know.

But if it’s with a manager that everyone is behind (because the end idea is appealing) then there more patience with a “poor” draw.

But this is especially so in comparison to other clubs and therefore the atmosphere is worse / more hostile which makes the next game more difficult etc.