April 24, 2018, 12:33:12 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 104383 times)

December 14, 2017, 02:02:19 PM
Reply #360

Bwana

It's weird but having Big Sam and him being able to organize us just a little bit kind of goes to show why we didn't really need him in the first place.

I think he himself said it the best. "You need to have a big character to tell these players..." and so on. He is/was absolutely the man we needed and still need. No player in the dressing room could've (well, except Rooney maybe) undermined him. The disease we had needed a tough remedy too.
Well there may be no score, but there's certainly no lack of excitement here. As you can see, Nietzsche has just been booked for arguing with the referee. He accused Confucius of having no free will, and Confucius he say, "Name go in book". And this is Nietzsche's third booking in four games.

December 14, 2017, 02:17:57 PM
Reply #361

Lazarou

Just watched his interview for EvertonTV . Asked about how pleased is he with Mason Holgate and he says "Very pleased apart from the fact he's too good looking to be a centre half." I'm warming to him

Thought Holgate was quality tonight, quality footballer still so young for a centre half in premier league as well.

December 14, 2017, 03:20:28 PM
Reply #362

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
It was strange listening to his approach the other night in the pre match press conference.
He was saying that all he does is embed the basics and he gives the team the freedom to let their individual qualities come out. I always had him down as someone who micromanages everything, but it doesn't look that way.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 14, 2017, 03:22:51 PM
Reply #363

JordanianEmbassy

It's weird but having Big Sam and him being able to organize us just a little bit kind of goes to show why we didn't really need him in the first place.

Or shows how much better he is than most others.

And how the simple things are (a) the fundamentals and (b) often the hardest to get right.

December 14, 2017, 03:29:29 PM
Reply #364

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
It was strange listening to his approach the other night in the pre match press conference.
He was saying that all he does is embed the basics and he gives the team the freedom to let their individual qualities come out. I always had him down as someone who micromanages everything, but it doesn't look that way.

I suspect he does micromanage the basics though. He definitely prefers percentage football. I think i remember hearing Kevin Davies talking about he was going to get shouted at for having a low-percentage shot from outside the area, even though he scored. Tongue in cheek obviously, but the reason behind the joke was there.

I reckon training at the moment is polar opposite to Martinez. Won't be much ball work (as is evident by our inability to string passes together at the start of games) and will just be drilling them to death.

December 14, 2017, 03:48:30 PM
Reply #365

Lazarou

I suspect he does micromanage the basics though. He definitely prefers percentage football. I think i remember hearing Kevin Davies talking about he was going to get shouted at for having a low-percentage shot from outside the area, even though he scored. Tongue in cheek obviously, but the reason behind the joke was there.

I reckon training at the moment is polar opposite to Martinez. Won't be much ball work (as is evident by our inability to string passes together at the start of games) and will just be drilling them to death.

Hope he isn't doing drills, that is not the FA way these days. We call them practices's now.

December 14, 2017, 04:18:12 PM
Reply #366

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Yeah apparently doesn’t even coach that much himself, his team does all that.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 14, 2017, 05:29:53 PM
Reply #367

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
It would be interesting to see what the (so called) top managers could do with lower teams and the task of getting the most out of players who aren't quite at the 'elite' level and not spending zillions on replacements every summer.
What we do have is the chance to see the reverse where Sam has never really had a big budget but has now. It frustrates me that some people still judge him (and others like him) just on trophies alone without even considering the raw material they have to work with. The same people that look at Man City and Huddersfield and say 'it's just 11 v 11'.
 Very unusual to see an 'older' manager getting this opportunity. Hope it works.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

December 14, 2017, 05:31:48 PM
Reply #368

dazfrancis

The move for the goal was yesterday actually quite good, about 15-20 passes out from the back and a couple of nice flicks.

It's definitely risk averse percentage football though.

December 14, 2017, 05:54:35 PM
Reply #369

mikey_blue

The move for the goal was yesterday actually quite good, about 15-20 passes out from the back and a couple of nice flicks.

It's definitely risk averse percentage football though.

It's definitely what we need. Until we get some real quality throughout the team, there's no point trying to play champagne football.

December 14, 2017, 05:58:21 PM
Reply #370

Major Clanger

Yeah apparently doesn’t even coach that much himself, his team does all that.

Just like Ferguson :)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 14, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
Reply #371

Simon Paul

Administrator
Amazing what introducing players to each other can achieve

Throw in a reminder of what position they play and you've got a winning formula

Against Huddersfield and Newcastle like

Reckon we'll bladder Swansea as well even

December 14, 2017, 06:44:42 PM
Reply #372

KoemansNumberTens

Stop fighting it. You know you're falling in love with big Sam too

December 14, 2017, 07:07:08 PM
Reply #373

Gary1878

Its amazing - playing players in their actual positions, with the same formation, and keeping the same starting eleven every week! The players might even get to know how eachother plays!

December 14, 2017, 07:22:42 PM
Reply #374

JordanianEmbassy

Just like we bladdered Southampton and Leicester.