July 21, 2018, 08:54:38 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 120150 times)

December 01, 2017, 01:48:29 PM
Read 120150 times

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah the appointment is done. He wasnít my first choice and hopefully there is a bigger plan to get the right man to move us forward when he does become available

I think the type of players that refuse to play for any manager, and the type of fans who would stay away from the game because of choice of manager are probably the ones that we want to weed out anyway

This doesnít mean that people arenít entitled to moan of course when things arenít going well, but Iím behind him and hoping he makes a success of his time here
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

December 04, 2017, 03:59:00 PM
Reply #1

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Early days but I do think heís got a good set up. Loves having a proper entourage doesnít he

Sammy Lee barking orders, Shakespeare in the stands communicating via his headset to get a different vantage point, has his own fitness and nutrition guys and gals, appointing a psychologist. Just trying to get every little advantage he can and leaving it upto experts in those fields so that he can focus purely on getting his message across to the players

Seems to be starting by trying to make the defence less leaky and the team more solid, and rightly so

I just hope he can lay a solid foundation and then add some attacking excitement into the mix to take us to the next step
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

December 12, 2017, 02:42:30 PM
Reply #2

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I think Sam is doing the first part of the job well, and everyone knew he would do really

And that is the steadying of the ship, making us a tighter defensive unit who dont concede many goals

Heís got to be given credit for this. Especially when that defence is forged from 2 youngsters, a veteran who we had all written off and a fairly poor quality right back, with no left foot who we are playing at left back

Itís not fair to judge our lack of winning ambition in the derby as sams blueprint for the future. The vast majority were expecting a defeat, a few weeks earlier we had conceded 5 and 4 in consecutive games, to have that defence solid and resilient after 4 games in charge deserves credit, against a side who traditionally hammer us, who we have a Strange mental block against, who had scored 5 and 7 in their previous 2 games

He outwitted his opposite number, despite it being really obvious what our game plan would be. Klopp had a couple of weeks to work on a plan for this really as the second Sam took over in the state we were in, there is only 1 way he was going to approach the game, and he couldnít out wit him

What is important is if he can reach the next stage, which for me will involve 2 things and will dictate whether he can have the job past this season. First of all to play more attacking football and take the game to teams more. Utilising Bolasie when he is back, plus giving game time to Lookman and Vlasic amongst others would be great. Also we need to start winning away games, and Newcastle would be a great place to start.

If he leaves though in the summer, after guiding us to 7th and heís managed to give plenty of game time to the younger players and we replace him with a more progressive manager, than I would have to say Iíve been happy with the appointment

December 24, 2017, 01:40:00 PM
Reply #3

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I think in order to keep the job past this season he will need to show signs of better football. But for now, a blueprint of beating all the shit teams and being solid and getting a point against the top 6 sides will be surprisingly effective at rocketing us up the table

Sam deserves the benefit of the doubt for now due to the sheer amount of games weíve had in such a short space of time, the appalling form we had going into his appointment, the amount of injuries we have, the individual form of big chunks of the squad and the total lack of shape and defensive organisation we had prior to his apppointment

At the moment we really couldnít have played open attacking football and beaten Liverpool away and Chelsea at home. A point was good in both games given how often weíve had a spanking at Anfield in recent years and how good the champions form has been in the last 10 matches

If Sam steers us to 7th and the team is more solid, with lots of young players having gained valuable first team minutes, then I think heís done a good job.

We will need to see better football if heís to take the job beyond next season though

January 02, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
Reply #4

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I really donít think he will stay beyond the summer. Itís a short term appointment that the board thought they had to make to ensure our survival.

Sam comes in to save teams from relegation. He doesnít tend to turn teams into ones that play good football. Itís not gonna be pretty to watch for the rest of the season, so no doubt it will be a barrel of laughs on the forum!

Not justifying the appointment by the way, itís just the way things are. We should still finish top half comfortably but itís such a shame after the pre season optimism that we are settling for a mediocre season again

January 15, 2018, 01:24:19 PM
Reply #5

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Ooh it's gone a bit bad after a good start hasn't it?

The problem with the style of football he has been playing is that when it's not going well it tends to be damage limitation exercises that don't offer anything.

No shots on target v Spurs sounds like we shut up shop to avoid an embarrassment, yet we still ended up being humiliated with a 4-0 drubbing

While the defence was clearly organised better in the first games of the reign, now it looks shaky again, but now with even less attacking threat.

Really there should be no reason to let him spend big money this window or have past the end of the season in charge. His job was to keep us safe from relegation, which he should still do, but that's more down to there being somehow still worse teams than us in the league

A trophy for our great football club feels even further away than ever. I realised a few months back that Koeman wasn't going to be the man for that, much earlier into Allardyces reign I've realised that about him. I hope we don't have to hound him out the way that we've done with the last 2 managers.

This appointment was made out of a perceived  necessity by the board.  I hope the next is more progressive and also not too far away

February 04, 2018, 03:38:15 PM
Reply #6

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Ultimately, if he keeps us up and then leaves in the summer, he has done the job that was expected of him, but it shouldn't be celebrated and it will be such a shame if it has meant the likes of Vlasic, Holgate, Lookman and Davies want out of the club as they are really who we should be building the team around.

We look like we are further and further away from competing with the top 6, I'd really like to see an emphasis on youth with the next appointment, both in terms of the manager appointed, someone with a more modern, progressive approach and also in terms of some of the older players being cleared out and more faith placed in our excellent youth system

February 13, 2018, 03:23:05 PM
Reply #7

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
We are 2 points off 7th now and since Allardyce took charge we are the 6th best side in the league in terms of points gained

This says a lot more about how bad everyone is outside that top 6 I think.

He's done the job asked and expected I suppose, but now it's time to give him his pay off and get a manager we don't all hate