June 22, 2018, 05:11:13 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 116237 times)

December 15, 2017, 05:04:35 PM
Reply #405

Lazarou

Whatís easy for one may not be easy for another

Is that Confucius?

December 15, 2017, 06:37:19 PM
Reply #406

cantoffee

Done what he is known to do so far which is make us more organized and harder to beat.

The real test will be once we have our confidence back and he needs to get us playing better football, can he do that against the sides that will come to Goodison and park the bus?

Been good so far, but will reserve judgement to see what kind of football we are playing when we are more settled. Right now I'm still happy to see us be organized and hard to beat as we are still a little fragile.

December 15, 2017, 07:48:58 PM
Reply #407

therealdunc

Newcastle hit the woodwork twice. Anything you want to say about the missed West Ham penalty applies there.

There is insufficient improvement over 90 minutes from the west ham game to any subsequent one not to suggest Unsworth was the one that turned the corner "got back to basics" and Allardyce has benefited from it.

I am not for one minute arguing that Unsworth should have been given more time. Allardyce will, 100%, perform better over the rest of the season.
But i just don't like to hear the digs levelled at Unsworth when i think he's the one that actually turned the ship around.

Speechless

How anyone can give that football dinosaur unsworth any credit is beyond me?

Way way out of his depth, keep him with the kids and well away from adult football
Blue

December 15, 2017, 08:07:01 PM
Reply #408

Dr. Sponge

Speechless

Way way out of his depth, keep him with the kids and well away from adult football

A football dinosaur that has progressed some of our brightest young future stars?

December 15, 2017, 08:28:54 PM
Reply #409

dazfrancis

I know this is the digital age but why is everything so binary?

It has to absolutely all Unsworth's work or absolutely all Allardyce's work.

I kind of feel that the West Ham game was a combination of Unsworth finally finding a decent team selection and shape, the confusion around the manager situation being resolved just before the game and the players understanding they have to perform for the new manager.

I think Allardyce would have figured this out over the course or 3 or 4 games but it basically fell straight into his lap and he has worked and improved it further

December 15, 2017, 08:59:33 PM
Reply #410

KoemansNumberTens

Speechless

Think he did a poor job but not sure where you get dinosaur from. If anything he was trying to be too experimental and too open and neglected too many of the basics

December 15, 2017, 10:04:45 PM
Reply #411

Paddockoldie

The one big difference with Allardyce is his communications with fans. I feel I know more about how he will do things than Koeman ever did. Even the issue with Barkley in that he can't say how it will go and if the board say sell or get nothing he's ok with that. He seems to know how this club should be managed with our fan base and I like that.

December 16, 2017, 01:44:19 AM
Reply #412

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I know this is the digital age but why is everything so binary?

It has to absolutely all Unsworth's work or absolutely all Allardyce's work.

I kind of feel that the West Ham game was a combination of Unsworth finally finding a decent team selection and shape, the confusion around the manager situation being resolved just before the game and the players understanding they have to perform for the new manager.

I think Allardyce would have figured this out over the course or 3 or 4 games but it basically fell straight into his lap and he has worked and improved it further

Summed it up quite well the mate

December 16, 2017, 01:54:23 AM
Reply #413

blue slug

Unsworth was dropped in at the deep end with no previous premier League management experience, he did his best give the guy a break

December 16, 2017, 01:58:37 AM
Reply #414

Major Clanger

Done what he is known to do so far which is make us more organized and harder to beat.

The real test will be once we have our confidence back and he needs to get us playing better football, can he do that against the sides that will come to Goodison and park the bus?

Been good so far, but will reserve judgement to see what kind of football we are playing when we are more settled. Right now I'm still happy to see us be organized and hard to beat as we are still a little fragile.

Even before that, his first test will be the January transfer window. Will he bring in the usual lot of overpriced, good-in-a-relegation-dogfight mercenaries, or players who can take us forward, and be sold at a profit when we sell them?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 16, 2017, 03:23:16 AM
Reply #415

therealdunc

Unsworth was dropped in at the deep end with no previous premier League management experience, he did his best give the guy a break
He said he wanted the job, he said he was ready for the job

Iím sorry but he put himself in the firing line and screwed up
Blue

December 16, 2017, 03:25:52 AM
Reply #416

Major Clanger

Yeah, and the board basically shrugged and said "you can try, but we won't give you any authority". It's like someone coming up to you and saying he's a good racing driver and you going "fine, but you'll have to do it without a car".

Don't get me wrong, getting someone else in was absolutely the right decision but the point is, we still don't know whether he'd be a good manager on a full time basis because as a caretaker with no power to decide players' future you're set up to fail. He should never have been given more than two or three games.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:36:25 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 16, 2017, 03:29:45 AM
Reply #417

blue slug

Iím sorry but he put himself in the firing line and screwed up

Come on mate youíre being very harsh

December 16, 2017, 03:30:23 AM
Reply #418

therealdunc

Maybe a bit harsh ,

I will accept your point

Blue

December 16, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Reply #419

van der Meyde

Even before that, his first test will be the January transfer window. Will he bring in the usual lot of overpriced, good-in-a-relegation-dogfight mercenaries, or players who can take us forward, and be sold at a profit when we sell them?
This is more of a test of Walsh, surely.

Walsh championed Allardyce's appointment despite these questions.

Allardyce has outlined the recruitment process: Allardyce identifies areas he feels we're short. Walsh draws up a shortlist of players. They make a decision collectively.

There's no hiding behind the Walsh vs Koeman player dichotomy now. Let's judge the man who's employed to bring players in now, rather than blame everyone else for our recruitment failings, yeah?