July 17, 2018, 11:11:13 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 119454 times)

December 16, 2017, 03:39:45 PM
Reply #420

Major Clanger

This is more of a test of Walsh, surely.

Walsh championed Allardyce's appointment despite these questions.

Allardyce has outlined the recruitment process: Allardyce identifies areas he feels we're short. Walsh draws up a shortlist of players. They make a decision collectively.

There's no hiding behind the Walsh vs Koeman player dichotomy now. Let's judge the man who's employed to bring players in now, rather than blame everyone else for our recruitment failings, yeah?

Since Allardyce is Walsh's choice, sure, they go hand in hand. Any failure to bring in the right players is a failure of both.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 16, 2017, 03:48:14 PM
Reply #421

Mayor Farnum

Big Sam won't stand players earmarked for the first team being brought in over his head. He'll gladly take responsibility.

December 16, 2017, 04:33:50 PM
Reply #422

van der Meyde

Since Allardyce is Walsh's choice, sure, they go hand in hand. Any failure to bring in the right players is a failure of both.
Knowing we would be able to just rip up the whole structure and start again in 18 months if it doesn't work out really did help me accept Allardyce's appointment. (Even if I was something of an Allardyce fan on a short term basis anyway.)

December 17, 2017, 12:12:07 AM
Reply #423

Macca77

December 19, 2017, 06:33:21 AM
Reply #424

Shogun

Administrator
Made an unreal start to be fair.

You can point at the opposition and a bit of luck that has gone our way in matches but if I'd have told you that we'd concede two goals in five matches with Williams an Martina in defence then you'd throw me into the Mersey.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 19, 2017, 09:34:27 AM
Reply #425

Omar

I have to admit when Sam was appointed I was appalled. But shit, you can't complain about 13 out of 15 points.

Oh, and sorry for putting the jinx on.

December 19, 2017, 01:38:37 PM
Reply #426

therealdunc

I sat right next to the dig out last night

One major thing I observed

Big Sam doesnít say a lot during a game, he allows the staff team he has built to do a lot of the detail managing of players during the game.

Over 5 different people plus Sam gave instructions to the players during the game.

Sam only shouted instructions when deemed necessary and also shouted at the 4th official!

This is a sign of a strong leader, allows his team to manage and gets involved when he needs to.

Very impressive.

In contract Paul clement didnít stop shouting instructions but this becomes ineffectual as the players familiarise the sound of his voice and start to autopilot ignore it.
In contrast to Sam, when he shouts and itís not often, you bloody well know and listen.

Blue

December 19, 2017, 02:26:22 PM
Reply #427

Lazarou

I sat right next to the dig out last night

One major thing I observed

Big Sam doesnít say a lot during a game, he allows the staff team he has built to do a lot of the detail managing of players during the game.

Over 5 different people plus Sam gave instructions to the players during the game.

Sam only shouted instructions when deemed necessary and also shouted at the 4th official!

This is a sign of a strong leader, allows his team to manage and gets involved when he needs to.

Very impressive.

In contract Paul clement didnít stop shouting instructions but this becomes ineffectual as the players familiarise the sound of his voice and start to autopilot ignore it.
In contrast to Sam, when he shouts and itís not often, you bloody well know and listen.

Sign a of a quality manager that, in any profession. Good little insight.

December 19, 2017, 02:43:21 PM
Reply #428

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Echo has a little piece about Sam and his data.
if you can be bothered with the horrendous site:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-analysis-sigurdsson-shines-allardyces-14055461

If you cannot, it is here: the bit in bold is the most interesting to me for some reason:

Attention to detail

Sam Allardyce has always been big on analysis.
He was one of the first Premier League managers to use Prozone stats in his approach - and during his early days at Bolton he became almost slavishly devoted to data.
He developed a system of play based around a "fantastic four" - pillars of play which would serve Bolton well. And they did.
Some of the detail was verging on the absurd.
Allardyce once calculated that if Bolton scored first they had a 70% chance of winning.
And he worked out that his side had an 80% chance of avoiding defeat if they outran their opposition at speeds above 5.5m per second.
Last night he saw his team go behind, and look one-paced during a stodgy first-half.
But he has analysis to change that, too.
"Our analysis team has been on overtime since I've been here, delivering a fantastic amount of information for the players to look at and take onto the pitch," he wrote in his programme notes.

"We haven't been able to spend too much time on the training ground because we've had so many games, so the analysts have been delivering visuals on a constant basis and that's been working."
Sammy Lee spent an age giving detailed pre-match information to Ashley Williams.
Williams performed solidly.
Everton's midfield was told to use the ball positively and pacily. When they didn't, a midfielder who would was intrioduced in young Tom Davies.
Whatever information is being imparted is working. And Allardyce has only just begun.

December 19, 2017, 02:54:48 PM
Reply #429

Rodenplav64

Even before that, his first test will be the January transfer window. Will he bring in the usual lot of overpriced, good-in-a-relegation-dogfight mercenaries, or players who can take us forward, and be sold at a profit when we sell them?

For once in his career he doesn't have to do the former as I think he knew it wasn't a massive job to keep the team up given the players we have . I am not sure he has much experience of the latter though .

December 19, 2017, 03:01:48 PM
Reply #430

therealdunc

He has stated on the record at least twice he only wants players that improve the squad and as thatís difficult - it will be a difficult window in Jan.

Also itís clear he wants a striker, itís the one position he has mentioned on a few occasions. The only other position mentioned is left back and that was more the press asking direct questions
Blue

December 19, 2017, 03:30:40 PM
Reply #431

Trublue

I have been impressed, with what I have seen in terms of coaching from the sidelines. Using Craig Shakespeare in the stands, to see things from a different position. Sammy Lee to do the orders.

I actually think he is pinching himself. When he interviews and reals off the names of the players to come back from injury. He can't stop smiling, it's like he's waiting for Christmas.  Just shows thee difference between him and Koeman.

December 19, 2017, 05:06:06 PM
Reply #432

Lxxx

It actually looks like a co-ordinated setup now, everything looks tighter. Team motivation and organisation, instructions from the touchlines, noises coming out of the club... Whilst it's clearly too early to make a judgement on his appointment it seems to be working, even in the short term.

December 19, 2017, 05:09:32 PM
Reply #433

MmmBlueRamirez

I think I love him.

The big pie smashing oaf.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 19, 2017, 05:19:50 PM
Reply #434

Lincs Toffee

I think I love him.

The big pie smashing oaf.
MmmBlueAllardyce soon then ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:21:01 PM by Lincs Toffee »
ďI used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.Ē - Dixie Dean