December 14, 2018, 06:58:46 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 137403 times)

December 24, 2017, 12:09:43 AM
Reply #495

Heisenberg

Love him screaming at the side of the pitch organising everyone. It's like having a 12th player at times

December 24, 2017, 12:14:08 AM
Reply #496

therealdunc

Great result in terms of a clean sheet against the champions

Blue

December 24, 2017, 01:57:18 AM
Reply #497

BlueForYou

Gritty, not pretty - results first, entertainment second

Apart from City, who plays it pretty?

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

December 24, 2017, 02:34:44 AM
Reply #498

mikey_blue

Someone on Twitter called big Sam the Count of Monte Bisto

December 24, 2017, 03:24:36 AM
Reply #499

ajax_andy

Great point again today, I'm impressed by what he's achieved in such a short space of time

One thing that's nagging away at me though is will we still be happy if next season we play the same style against the big boys with only aiming for a 0-0 a draw being our game plan?

I remember Moyes getting criticism for not winning against the top 4, how would a manager be received if he approached those games with no desire to try and win them?

It'll be interesting to see next season, I'm not saying it's 100% he'll approach then this way, but if he does I wonder if people will slate him too or have our levels of expectation dropped substantially?

December 24, 2017, 03:32:55 AM
Reply #500

Mayor Farnum

Great point again today, I'm impressed by what he's achieved in such a short space of time

One thing that's nagging away at me though is will we still be happy if next season we play the same style against the big boys with only aiming for a 0-0 a draw being our game plan?

I remember Moyes getting criticism for not winning against the top 4, how would a manager be received if he approached those games with no desire to try and win them?

It'll be interesting to see next season, I'm not saying it's 100% he'll approach then this way, but if he does I wonder if people will slate him too or have our levels of expectation dropped substantially?

The two transfer windows between now and then will determine that.

I doubt we will ever have the type of investment that means we will be involved in the type of game between Arsenal and Liverpool the other night. However, a couple of flying full backs and a powerful striker will mean we have more to offer against the teams above us by this time next year.

December 24, 2017, 03:33:36 AM
Reply #501

TheTone

it's gone perfect for him hasn't it

he definitely has something about him, if I was a player i'd deffo want to play for him

we'll have to wait and see what he recruits over the next 2 transfer windows to see if he can add more players to improve our attacking play and also wait to see if he can get a tune out of the injured guys due back

loving the way he winds up opposition managers, it's been a while since we were snidey cunts

December 24, 2017, 03:52:40 AM
Reply #502

Everton Mint

I know Sam's done some job since he's come in, organising and making us hard to beat... but he hasnt half brought some luck as well.

Just about everything has gone our way - getting penalties, saving penalties, opposition teams hitting the woodwork loads of times - quite amazing really.

A 'lucky manager' is better than a good one they say...

December 24, 2017, 04:04:14 AM
Reply #503

eyesalwaysblue

Someone on Twitter called big Sam the Count of Monte Bisto

On the gravy train?
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 24, 2017, 04:07:47 AM
Reply #504

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Jury's out for me still.  It's not a surprise that he could organise us defensively, although I will give him credit for how quickly he seems to have done it.  But make no mistake about it, we've had a lot of luck to get the points that we have had and to not concede more than we have.

We need to get through in to the new year and hopefully a couple of signings in January and then he needs to move things forward, and that for me is where the big question mark is as far as his management ability goes.  It's all about whether what we're seeing now is the end game, or whether he can make us a more potent attacking force as well as improving the standard of football on show.  Not going to knock him for what we've seen so far, but things need to move forward at some point.

December 24, 2017, 05:22:23 AM
Reply #505

Martip

Let's call a spade a spade....hes done a wonderful job given that we were  the 2nd worse team in the league when he took over.

Defensively we are much more compact and the spirit is good so the force is strong.

Of course people will say today was negative but truth be told Chelsea are a much better side than us so he did what he had to do....neccessity is the mother of invention and is rather play like that and get a draw than be open and lose 4 - 0.

December 24, 2017, 05:48:01 AM
Reply #506

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Think we need to accept it will take an immense amount of money and luck to be able to compete with the top clubs. Even spurs fail often.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 24, 2017, 05:55:18 AM
Reply #507

Jamokachi

I don't earn anywhere near £6m a year but I take a very good wage and don't donate a penny to charity.

What an odd thing to post.

December 24, 2017, 06:42:35 AM
Reply #508

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Let's call a spade a spade....hes done a wonderful job given that we were  the 2nd worse team in the league when he took over.

Defensively we are much more compact and the spirit is good so the force is strong.

Of course people will say today was negative but truth be told Chelsea are a much better side than us so he did what he had to do....neccessity is the mother of invention and is rather play like that and get a draw than be open and lose 4 - 0.
Where we 19th when he took over?
Simply simply lovely

December 24, 2017, 09:43:10 AM
Reply #509

Bluedylan

I can tell you now, I'll slaughter him.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.