February 21, 2018, 09:56:15 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 72002 times)

January 04, 2018, 05:22:32 PM
Reply #750

ally2

Yeah that first season under Martinez was something else. I remember sitting there thinking this was just like watching Brazil. Oh little did we know the wheels were falling off

January 04, 2018, 05:25:49 PM
Reply #751

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I look back on the Martinez reign with mainly fondness tbh.

January 04, 2018, 05:27:07 PM
Reply #752

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

It was good until Wolfsburg away.

Was pretty awful bar the odd spark after that for me.

January 04, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
Reply #753

Lxxx

Yeah that first season under Martinez was something else. I remember say there thinking this was just like watching Brazil. Oh little did we know the wheels were falling off

So frustrating. Watching Barkley and Lukaku blossom, fleeting bits of skill from Geri, seeing Stones coming through, watching McCarthy play like we've never seen again... The future looked rosy.  Now three have gone, one has a foot out the door and the other is a waste of space. We've also recouped £150m but haven't replaced them either.

January 04, 2018, 05:51:23 PM
Reply #754

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

It was fun at times. I’d probably have fonder memories if I hadn’t have bought into him so heavily.

January 04, 2018, 06:03:45 PM
Reply #755

ally2

He let us dream. However he was a shyster.

January 04, 2018, 06:24:10 PM
Reply #756

Bluenose 91

I fucking hate him to be honest.

Literally couldn't even be arsed to get his players fit the baldy twat.

January 04, 2018, 06:29:58 PM
Reply #757

themilkycoffees

I guess Guardiola can't be arsed getting his players fit either. It's worked out pretty well for him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15126/10505903/the-top-five-innovations-of-pep-guardiolas-coaching-career

Martinez was stubborn, but a lot of top managers are. Badly let down by the players, when we were on the brink of something special IMO. They literally gave up in his last season, which meant his sacking was inevitable.

January 04, 2018, 06:38:48 PM
Reply #758

Bluenose 91

He's a dreadful and completely unprofessional manager with a pie in the sky philosophy that will never have any success anywhere.

Any issues that come about with the players were down to his shite management.

January 04, 2018, 06:46:38 PM
Reply #759

Lxxx

He was a complete fraud though. The stars aligned on every possible level for him for one season only and it looked magical.

I'd take another one of those seasons next season. Not going to happen under Allardyce though.

January 04, 2018, 06:54:49 PM
Reply #760

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
He was a complete fraud though. The stars aligned on every possible level for him for one season only and it looked magical.

I'd take another one of those seasons next season. Not going to happen under Allardyce though.
As Martinez benefitted from Moyes' defensive organisation, maybe Silva (or someone) can benefit from Allardyce's.

January 04, 2018, 06:57:44 PM
Reply #761

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I guess Guardiola can't be arsed getting his players fit either. It's worked out pretty well for him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15126/10505903/the-top-five-innovations-of-pep-guardiolas-coaching-career

Martinez was stubborn, but a lot of top managers are. Badly let down by the players, when we were on the brink of something special IMO. They literally gave up in his last season, which meant his sacking was inevitable.

Guardiola’s teams are light years ahead of what we were in terms of fitness.

January 04, 2018, 07:08:43 PM
Reply #762

themilkycoffees

No success anywhere, but was a massive factor in enabling Swansea to climb the FL to the Prem. Won the FA Cup with a distinctly average Wigan team.

The football under Martinez was some of the best i've ever watched as a blue. Even in his last season with us, we were in the two domestic cup semi-finals and could have conceivably won both (especially v United).

Obviously he was far from the finished article as a young manager, but we had a clear style of play and looked like we could actually win a trophy, despite our league form suffering as we finished mid-table twice. It looked like there was a plan in place for the future. Brought Stones and Barkley in to the first team, attracted Lukaku, Deulofeu. We'll never know now.

Belgium also appointed him to work with their 'golden generation' of players for the World Cup. 100% fraud though.

January 04, 2018, 07:12:24 PM
Reply #763

themilkycoffees

Guardiola’s teams are light years ahead of what we were in terms of fitness.

True. Just saying, that was clearly the idea. There is a huge degree of trust there as players are required to work hard independently and clearly standards slipped, especially in his final year.

January 04, 2018, 07:19:12 PM
Reply #764

plumber

Obviously he was far from the finished article as a young manager, but we had a clear style of play

Yeah, don't move, pass sideways and don't defend.