May 24, 2018, 01:31:36 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 110662 times)

January 04, 2018, 07:21:50 PM
Reply #765

gizzblue

No success anywhere, but was a massive factor in enabling Swansea to climb the FL to the Prem. Won the FA Cup with a distinctly average Wigan team.

The football under Martinez was some of the best i've ever watched as a blue. Even in his last season with us, we were in the two domestic cup semi-finals and could have conceivably won both (especially v United).

Obviously he was far from the finished article as a young manager, but we had a clear style of play and looked like we could actually win a trophy, despite our league form suffering as we finished mid-table twice. It looked like there was a plan in place for the future. Brought Stones and Barkley in to the first team, attracted Lukaku, Deulofeu. We'll never know now.

Belgium also appointed him to work with their 'golden generation' of players for the World Cup. 100% fraud though.
Yeah even when we got twatted countless times we were phenomenal allegedly .

He was awful and as has already been said touched lucky first season ...moyes defence and some attack ....but most of his play was sideways or backwards .imho....awful.

January 04, 2018, 07:23:32 PM
Reply #766

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No success anywhere, but was a massive factor in enabling Swansea to climb the FL to the Prem. Won the FA Cup with a distinctly average Wigan team.

The football under Martinez was some of the best i've ever watched as a blue. Even in his last season with us, we were in the two domestic cup semi-finals and could have conceivably won both (especially v United).

Obviously he was far from the finished article as a young manager, but we had a clear style of play and looked like we could actually win a trophy, despite our league form suffering as we finished mid-table twice. It looked like there was a plan in place for the future. Brought Stones and Barkley in to the first team, attracted Lukaku, Deulofeu. We'll never know now.

Belgium also appointed him to work with their 'golden generation' of players for the World Cup. 100% fraud though.

We didn’t look like winning a trophy as we lost vs only top sides we faced in either run (Chelsea finished one place above us that year).

Think 2 seasons of finishing 11th, with many of the same errors, was enough of a sample to see things weren’t getting better.

January 04, 2018, 07:24:29 PM
Reply #767

Bluenose 91

Getting relegated and conceding about a million goals in the process sort of negates a flukey cup win.

First season was great yeah but as the two that followed proved it was a complete anomaly with the football and results getting progressively worse.

It baffles me that anyone can still defend his time here to be honest.  He was absolutely shocking.

January 04, 2018, 07:32:43 PM
Reply #768

themilkycoffees

Personally don't think you can fluke whole seasons and anyone who says he 'benefited from Moyes defence' hasn't got a clue about football. Second season, we suffered in the league because we went for the Europa League IMO. Third season was admittedly not good enough, apart from two good cup runs. We drew a lot of games and lost leads often late in games. We lost to the better team in City, but should comfortably have beaten United if Lukaku had scored the pen and finished any of the other good chances he had that day.

January 04, 2018, 07:35:11 PM
Reply #769

eyesalwaysblue

Think it was after the Wolfsburg away we played Spurs Lukaku put us 1 up with a belter, it was when i remember a marked change in how we played and it was all down hill from there we lost 2-1 but he denied playing any differently than before, stubborn get.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 04, 2018, 07:35:17 PM
Reply #770

gizzblue

Personally don't think you can fluke whole seasons and anyone who says he 'benefited from Moyes defence' hasn't got a clue about football. Second season, we suffered in the league because we went for the Europa League IMO. Third season was admittedly not good enough, apart from two good cup runs. We drew a lot of games and lost leads often late in games. We lost to the better team in City, but should comfortably have beaten United if Lukaku had scored the pen and finished any of the other good chances he had that day.
Ooh hahaha  throwing the "don't know anything about football" line about while bigging up Martinez is a bit fucking rich 😅😅.

Everyone knew he never bothered with defence ...Jags did two pressers where he mentioned it .👍

January 04, 2018, 07:44:13 PM
Reply #771

themilkycoffees

Not bigging anyone up. I forgot you can't have an alternative opinion to the majority on this forum. My mistake.

January 04, 2018, 07:45:46 PM
Reply #772

eyesalwaysblue

Ooh hahaha  throwing the "don't know anything about football" line about while bigging up Martinez is a bit fucking rich 😅😅.

Everyone knew he never bothered with defence ...Jags did two pressers where he mentioned it .👍

Was reported Distin had a big barney with him at the time..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 04, 2018, 07:48:59 PM
Reply #773

Bluenose 91

Not bigging anyone up. I forgot you can't have an alternative opinion to the majority on this forum. My mistake.

Who has said this?

You're putting your point forward and so are others.  Nothing more.

January 04, 2018, 07:53:30 PM
Reply #774

ally2

January 04, 2018, 08:04:11 PM
Reply #775

themilkycoffees

You're right - my opinion is just an unpopular one. I don't think our defensive players at the time were good enough to take us to the next level and some of them are still here.

You won't see Guardiola or Klopp focus on defence too much either but they'll still win a lot of games, and in City's case trophies too. At the time, I felt our attacking players were being let down by our defensive players - a bit like the shite this season. 

January 04, 2018, 08:52:36 PM
Reply #776

Lincs Toffee

You're right - my opinion is just an unpopular one. I don't think our defensive players at the time were good enough to take us to the next level and some of them are still here.

You won't see Guardiola or Klopp focus on defence too much either but they'll still win a lot of games, and in City's case trophies too. At the time, I felt our attacking players were being let down by our defensive players - a bit like the shite this season. 

And there lies the problem/difference, we set up now to not concede and hope to nick a goal, whereas they set up to score and hope not to concede
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

January 04, 2018, 09:05:23 PM
Reply #777

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Look at City’s goals conceded.

It’s very low.

Liverpool’s isn’t great and that’s what holds them back.

You do need to bother about defending.

January 04, 2018, 09:08:13 PM
Reply #778

themilkycoffees

I agree- you do need to bother about defending. As I said, it has and is holding Liverpool back. City don't though, because they are so good going forward and they dominate possession pretty much every game.

January 04, 2018, 09:14:31 PM
Reply #779

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree- you do need to bother about defending. As I said, it has and is holding Liverpool back. City don't though, because they are so good going forward and they dominate possession pretty much every game.

Look at what they do without the ball.

They go after the ball (which is easier as they’re often close to it anyway) with ridiculous intensity.

Just because they’re not deep doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to stop the other team defending.