February 22, 2018, 07:09:25 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 72833 times)

January 21, 2018, 12:33:35 AM
Reply #1410

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I have absolutely no faith in the people behind the scenes to make the right appointment.

Would you have been happy with Silva or Fonseca?

January 21, 2018, 12:35:48 AM
Reply #1411

loroloco

3 points from the last 6 games is impossible to defend, even if you like the bloke. especially when you have a look at who the last 6 games were against. awful stuff. hope things pick soon but patience is running low.

January 21, 2018, 12:36:07 AM
Reply #1412

Dr. Sponge

That does come back to the management too though, why are we not signing these players?

Why do we apparently not own a CM who can play a creative/forward pass..? A player whose instinct isn't to receive the ball, turn back and pass backwards or sideways?

This. If we done have this kind of player, which tbf we haven't had since Arteta had a spell there (aside from Barry at times) then we have to build from the fullback areas. But they're not good enough at the moment so the only bits of joy we have are long diagonal balls, long balls to the striker, or set pieces.

Horrible to watch.

January 21, 2018, 12:38:17 AM
Reply #1413

Lxxx

Nah, not for me.

I remember what staring into the abyss of relegation really looked like, and this isn't it. We had awful, limited players and not a pot to piss in to hope to replace them.

We actually have a number of very good players now. It could take one good managerial appointment and say three astute signings to get this team really playing.

It’s the good managerial appointment and astute signings which are the flaws in the plan.

January 21, 2018, 12:38:17 AM
Reply #1414

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Would you have been happy with Silva or Fonseca?

Silva would've just been another lazy appointment out the flavour of the month handbook that signed Walsh, Koeman and allardyce.

Fonseca would've been a good appointment, yes, but wasn't that more Mendes pushing for his client to get a premier league job?

January 21, 2018, 12:40:16 AM
Reply #1415

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
On a general point, what’s odd is that we’re not even doing classic Allardyce tactics.

Eg every free kick within 70 yards of goal being whacked upfield towards the CBs; or constantly sniding free kicks.

These types of things can get you goals even when you’re not in a game. 

It’s seems aimless at the moment.

January 21, 2018, 12:43:15 AM
Reply #1416

Lxxx

For what it has cost us to appoint Allardyce and his band of merry men we could have got Dyche and while I’m not saying he would have been the answer he’d have been a better appointment in terms of trying to implement some kind of stability around the place.

January 21, 2018, 12:45:19 AM
Reply #1417

therealdunc

Less than 2 months in the job, we are now in the top half and people are having a melt down

Blue

January 21, 2018, 12:45:27 AM
Reply #1418

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Silva would've just been another lazy appointment out the flavour of the month handbook that signed Walsh, Koeman and allardyce.

Fonseca would've been a good appointment, yes, but wasn't that more Mendes pushing for his client to get a premier league job?

Don’t know, but looked like it might happen if they’d let him go.

Re Silva, yes but there were plenty on full support of that decision. Unless we can attract top level (eg them with Klopp) then we’re likely to be at risk of the latest thing not being right.

It’s not easy, which is why I don’t think wild panning of Koeman is right.

If you (not you personally) think he was terrible for us then there’s going to be wild thrashing at most appointments unless they overachieve (rare in general).

Although re Mendes, if you’ve not got great knowledge etc then using agents like this is a safer bet, as they do have knowledge and rely on good deals as their business lifeblood.

January 21, 2018, 12:47:12 AM
Reply #1419

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
For what it has cost us to appoint Allardyce and his band of merry men we could have got Dyche and while I’m not saying he would have been the answer he’d have been a better appointment in terms of trying to implement some kind of stability around the place.

However if we do bin him in the summer for a manager more in line with current requirements then we’re better off.

January 21, 2018, 12:48:43 AM
Reply #1420

ajax_andy

Not a great fan of Allardyce, but fuck me, when do the players take some responsibility ? Allardyce, Unsworth, Koeman this year and Martinez the last year, I bet not one of them managers told the players to play shite, treat the ball like a hot potato and don't pass to each other. They also don't tell them not to shoot. Players need to be brave and make decisions, I think we are finding out a lot of our players are not and don't.

Buck lies with the manager imo and the board for a succession of poor appointments.  We have enough talent in that squad but negative ideas and philosophy means we might as well have a team of league one players.

To be successful you have to utilise the strengths in your team, which we constantly fail to do with odd selections, not buying players for key positions and playing players out of position

January 21, 2018, 12:49:29 AM
Reply #1421

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Less than 2 months in the job, we are now in the top half and people are having a melt down

I'm not having a meltdown I'm just fucking bored. There's no excuse for a team with those players not doing more

January 21, 2018, 12:51:07 AM
Reply #1422

therealdunc

I'm not having a meltdown I'm just fucking bored. There's no excuse for a team with those players not doing more

No excuses, but plenty of reason why.

And some of the players are simply not good enough.
Blue

January 21, 2018, 12:52:51 AM
Reply #1423

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
No excuses, but plenty of reason why.

And some of the players are simply not good enough.

Aside from Martina all of those players today are better quality that West Broms

January 21, 2018, 12:54:30 AM
Reply #1424

Lxxx

However if we do bin him in the summer for a manager more in line with current requirements then we’re better off.

No we’re not. We could have binned Dyche in the summer too if it hadn’t worked and the payoff wouldn’t be any more expensive. We wouldn’t have been paying him anywhere close to £6m/year and he wouldn’t have had a hundred expensive hangers on either.
He might have had a three year contract as opposed to Sam’s 18 months.

Point being there was a chance it might have worked too, whilst there was no chance Sam was ever going to.