May 24, 2018, 01:55:29 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 110515 times)

January 21, 2018, 03:12:17 PM
Reply #1470

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
...............what I noticed yesterday was how physically weak most of our team are. With the exception of Williams who is strong but clumsy ,we are constantly pushed off the ball. There was no desire yesterday ,no urgency in our play ,like the players have realised we're safe and that's enough.

Think we’ve been weak for ages.

Might be one of those things where you only remember your own failings and don’t notice the opposition’s but feels like we nearly always lose 50:50s.

Part of the reason why Lukaku and Barkley we’re frustrating as they’d only sparodically use their physique.

But can’t imagine any midfielder barging through a tackle or two.

January 21, 2018, 03:12:53 PM
Reply #1471

Ramjam

28 pts - we ain't safe yet

A few 6 pointers coming up, pardon the phrase.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:14:42 PM by Ramjam »
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

January 21, 2018, 03:16:44 PM
Reply #1472

BlueForYou

Last game, away at West Ham -

I dread to think........................(In Moyes We Trust)
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 21, 2018, 03:37:05 PM
Reply #1473

eyesalwaysblue

A few 6 pointers coming up, pardon the phrase.
Who regards us as a 6 pointer? cheeky gets...
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 21, 2018, 03:48:00 PM
Reply #1474

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
On a general point I think our lack of winning things for over two decades has started to impose itself on what people want from humdrum match to humdrum match.

In the 90s we’d just won something and the very real threat of relegation meant points at all cost was acceptable.

Moyes lifting us about 6/7 places on average up the table meant that some stylistic issues were ignored / not relevant.

But at the end, even when we were playing decent stuff, many people were saying it was dreadful etc. I think because we knew there were no chances of relegation but we still weren’t winning.

So “excitement” was used as a reason to complain.

RM went rapidly down hill in people’s eyes when results went south but also, in large parts of 14/15 we were sleep inducingly boring.

Again last year, even with better results than for the previous two years, there were consistent complaints of not being entertained.

Therefore appointing someone who, even if they do well, is likely to play “boring” football, was always likely to end up like this. Of course it’s worse as we’re not getting too many good results.

Some people claim that wanting entertainment is harking back to a non existent past, and that’s probably true bar the odd golden patch.

But it is a reality of the past quarter of a century (that seems a long time phrased in such a way) and modern life probably, that we are wanting something more than just results.

It doesn’t have to be passing football but it does, seemingly, have to be aggressive in terms of putting the opposition under pressure.

We’re passive at both defending (eg we sit deep rather than press high) and attacking (eg a lack of commitment of numbers forward).

It’s out of sync with what the crowd is wanting / expecting so fundamental changes are required for the situation to be tenable.

January 21, 2018, 04:17:22 PM
Reply #1475

Lxxx

...............what I noticed yesterday was how physically weak most of our team are. With the exception of Williams who is strong but clumsy ,we are constantly pushed off the ball. There was no desire yesterday ,no urgency in our play ,like the players have realised we're safe and that's enough.

I know it’s the obvious thing to slate Schneiderlin but he deserves a mention on this.

There was a point yesterday in the first half when he went into a 50/50 to the right in the centre circle, as clear favourite, and got steamrollered due to a pathetic dangling of a leg and the crowd howled.
Now I don’t know whether he’s soft in the head or just can’t be arsed anymore but he doesn’t deserve a place in the side at the minute if he’s not winning easy tackles or doing anything with the ball when he has it.
Our central midfield is completely ineffectual on every level and is the basis of where we’re losing the battle, every game.

January 21, 2018, 04:22:56 PM
Reply #1476

Jamokachi

From the BBC:

Everton had gone 251 minutes without registering a shot on target in the Premier League before Jonjoe Kenny ended that run.

January 21, 2018, 04:23:53 PM
Reply #1477

Jamokachi

I know it’s the obvious thing to slate Schneiderlin but he deserves a mention on this.

There was a point yesterday in the first half when he went into a 50/50 to the right in the centre circle, as clear favourite, and got steamrollered due to a pathetic dangling of a leg and the crowd howled.
Now I don’t know whether he’s soft in the head or just can’t be arsed anymore but he doesn’t deserve a place in the side at the minute if he’s not winning easy tackles or doing anything with the ball when he has it.
Our central midfield is completely ineffectual on every level and is the basis of where we’re losing the battle, every game.

I think it all boils down to confidence.

January 21, 2018, 04:26:36 PM
Reply #1478

Escla

NSNO Subscriber

Saw that too

January 21, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
Reply #1479

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Nah, not for me.

I remember what staring into the abyss of relegation really looked like, and this isn't it. We had awful, limited players and not a pot to piss in to hope to replace them.

We actually have a number of very good players now. It could take one good managerial appointment and say three astute signings to get this team really playing.

Well there was a lot of love for Silva on here a few weeks ago, we even offered to buy his contract out and now it appears he will be sacked within the week.

January 21, 2018, 04:31:38 PM
Reply #1480

Simon Paul

Administrator
I really liked it on here when Allardyce came in and got a few results and people were saying he was the answer and that he was going to save us and giving him all the credit

Now it's gone to shit he's not had enough time to change things and he deserves absolutely none of the blame

Wish people would make up their minds.  It was only six weeks ago and he'd worked his miracles, now it's unfair to expect him to work miracles. 

January 21, 2018, 04:32:13 PM
Reply #1481

Trowel

Silva has been sacked today! With the Watford board directly blaming Everton for unsettling him.

https://www.watfordfc.com/club/club-statement-marco-silva

This has been a difficult decision and one not taken lightly. The Club is convinced the appointment of Silva was the right one and had it not been for the unwarranted approach by a Premier League rival for his services we would have continued to prosper under his leadership.

The catalyst for this decision is that unwarranted approach, something which the Board believes has seen a significant deterioration in both focus and results to the point where the long-term future of Watford FC has been jeopardised.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

January 21, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
Reply #1482

Lxxx

Nah. I can accept the confidence part when we’re talking about his safety first approach when on the ball but when you’re going into easy tackles and losing them or not tracking runners, regularly, that smacks of something deeper.
Maybe he doesn’t want to be here, maybe he’s so mentally weak that he can’t be aggressive anymore, maybe it’s more deep rooted and he’s had his day now and he’s in decline as a footballer.... who knows but it’s painful to watch.

January 21, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
Reply #1483

UnsyisaRhino

I feel desire and attitude are bigger factors in that situation.

Work rate, desire and aggresion are the core of a defensive midfielders game and he showed a lack of all 3 yesterday.

January 21, 2018, 04:36:09 PM
Reply #1484

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Silva has been sacked today! With the Watford board directly blaming Everton for unsettling him.

https://www.watfordfc.com/club/club-statement-marco-silva

This has been a difficult decision and one not taken lightly. The Club is convinced the appointment of Silva was the right one and had it not been for the unwarranted approach by a Premier League rival for his services we would have continued to prosper under his leadership.

The catalyst for this decision is that unwarranted approach, something which the Board believes has seen a significant deterioration in both focus and results to the point where the long-term future of Watford FC has been jeopardised.

I didn't think he was a very good manager anyway, but that's pretty stupid, they're only 2 points behind us.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"