August 18, 2018, 08:03:30 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 123459 times)

January 24, 2018, 03:38:12 PM
Reply #1665

sirblue57

Give him a chance? Why?
This is the manager Who, after watching this lot ( I refuse to call them a team ) have 4, FOUR, shots on goal in 5 games. And then said we need to be more boring...

So how do you defend that kind of manager?
WHY  would you defend that kind of.manager?
Because I am Damn sure thatvis not the lind of statement i would expect.from the manager of the club i Support.
But then again the level of incompetence we get from the board seems to ensure this kind of fuck  up being appointed.
I was , and am not, Bills.biggest fan, and.maybe he got it lucky with Moyes, 
But since he left.we have lurched from one bad decision. To another.
We are a joke off the pitch. We have have no  semblance of.being a well run professional  AMBITIOUS club.
We spend money and get worse.
We neglect major positions when buying.players.
We have no identifiable style.of play.

Now.all this is not Sam's fault. But he has done little to address some and not given us hope he will or even can produce a style.of football that will be both winning and watchable.
So I will just bide.my time will the phoney,  and hope that one day we will get a board with the balls and drive to finally deliver the team we deserve.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

January 24, 2018, 03:52:21 PM
Reply #1666

Rodenplav64

I'm saying exactly the same thing I said then and I feel exactly the same way as when he came.
Even you said he needed time and the transfer window and I can't see how that can be assessed until end of season.

For the sake of the club he deserves till the end of the season and not 1 day longer . We need a proper forward thinking Manager with an attractive style of play to go with the money we are spending . We are an attractive proposition as a club and we should be attractive to watch .

January 24, 2018, 04:28:48 PM
Reply #1667

Waltzer

For the sake of the club he deserves till the end of the season and not 1 day longer . We need a proper forward thinking Manager with an attractive style of play to go with the money we are spending . We are an attractive proposition as a club and we should be attractive to watch .

I was all up for giving him a chance, and hes had that now. Time to move on. Like every fan Im desperate to win something, im not sure a change of manager will enhance our chances of achieving that or not, but what I do no is if im going to give over my hard earned money I expect a little bit back in entertainment, which is something we currently dont get. At the moment id settle for not winning anything but watching good football, over not winning anything and being served up shite every week.

January 24, 2018, 05:02:09 PM
Reply #1668

Macca77

Have things improved since he took over - No not at all
He was hailed as our saviour when we beat Huddersfield, Newcastle and Swansea, who all played better than us by the way. No wins since, we don't even look like winning anytime soon

January 24, 2018, 05:18:01 PM
Reply #1669

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
And that's sound. You're entitled to your opinion, and it's completely valid.

With respect, a lot of considered, thoughtful posters who aren't prone to rash judgements or diatribes disagree with you, didn't want him to be appointed, and feel like a lot of their preconceptions about him have been confirmed and reinforced. So people are coming to those conclusions completely rationally, and with justification.
I didn't want him and would have thought anyone suggesting that in July would be living in a weird world!
I agree there are some thoughtful posts and people have come to different conclusions and have different opinions - I respect that and I don't think I've ever shown disrespect to those views.
He's on an 18 month contract and I am assuming  the club thought there was a real chance of relegation. I still thought it was a remote chance. If so I suspect this season is about ensuring safety and laying foundations for moving on next year -basically we've gone back 2 years.
If I'm right then the correct time to review progress, or lack of, is the end of the season. There is no long term commitment to Sam so the club keeps its options open.
I don't think there is much doubt about the level of performance ( I've seen all apart from 2 ) but my opinion is now shaped by a belief that the playing side of the club  was in a far worse state than many realised with the only part of the team functioning on the pitch was the keeper position and God knows what was happening behind the doors of Finch Farm.
Perhaps the main difference of opinion is about when we judge Sam''s performance? I just think now is too soon.
I don't expect scintillating attacking confident play in a relegation fight, first I want safety at whatever cost.
He's signed two experienced forwards and I suspect there may be more ins and outs before the window closes.
57 days is too soon to judge. Simple as that
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:19:36 PM by Shropshire Blue »
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

January 24, 2018, 06:02:55 PM
Reply #1670

formerKHL

here's my take on sam....

at Bolton he came up with a "new approach" to coaching which was all based around psychology, statistics and "new" anaerobic methods of training and sports science.....he bought players that fitted his style of play and bought into his methods of coaching. He then surrounded himself with sports scientists and "new style coaches" who actually did the work for him.....he oversaw it...

It wasn't a new approach as a whole in football, Sven Goran Erikson had been doing it for years abroad.....but it was new in this country.
He had some success with this "new approach" with Bolton....top 6 finishes European cup progression etc....

This coincided with the introduction in this country of the Football Academies....sams style was quickly "adopted" by the FA as the way forward and he was seen as very innovative in his methods.......yet remember he introduced it but didn't actually do it...I have attended many FA seminars where he was guest presenter......When you listen to him talk football he is very convincing and talks a good game and I've had many conversations with him over the years both professionally and privately....(no we're not mates)

Here is the problem..... this new innovative approach is now old hat and as many people have stated football has moved on...sports science in football has moved on.... but sam is still surrounded but the same team of people doing the same stuff.........his reputation as recognised... is now "a saviour" of relegation and his style is that of don't lose rather than try to win games.......it has in the main always been like that with him for me...

sam is now just a figurehead of a team of coaches and sports scientists....who talks a good a game...(sometimes) He is the overseer/frontman for want of better phrase........and now him and his team being found out.....

January 24, 2018, 08:27:59 PM
Reply #1671

Bluedylan

I didn't want him and would have thought anyone suggesting that in July would be living in a weird world!
I agree there are some thoughtful posts and people have come to different conclusions and have different opinions - I respect that and I don't think I've ever shown disrespect to those views.
He's on an 18 month contract and I am assuming  the club thought there was a real chance of relegation. I still thought it was a remote chance. If so I suspect this season is about ensuring safety and laying foundations for moving on next year -basically we've gone back 2 years.
If I'm right then the correct time to review progress, or lack of, is the end of the season. There is no long term commitment to Sam so the club keeps its options open.
I don't think there is much doubt about the level of performance ( I've seen all apart from 2 ) but my opinion is now shaped by a belief that the playing side of the club  was in a far worse state than many realised with the only part of the team functioning on the pitch was the keeper position and God knows what was happening behind the doors of Finch Farm.
Perhaps the main difference of opinion is about when we judge Sam''s performance? I just think now is too soon.
I don't expect scintillating attacking confident play in a relegation fight, first I want safety at whatever cost.
He's signed two experienced forwards and I suspect there may be more ins and outs before the window closes.
57 days is too soon to judge. Simple as that

57 days, plus a couple of decades worth of previous club management. More than enough time and evidence to form a reasonable opinion.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 24, 2018, 08:45:50 PM
Reply #1672

Macca77

57 days is 57 days to long

January 24, 2018, 09:11:38 PM
Reply #1673

gizzblue

Wba (first game)and Bournmouth games should have showed the Sam lovers what we are in for for his entire tenure.
But like the board they're blind to anti football .

January 24, 2018, 10:51:25 PM
Reply #1674

Toddacelli

It's not all Sam's fault.
But I don't care about the fault - I want to know about the solution and I don't think he's it.

I really disliked him before he came here.
I've seen a different side since - but I still don't really like him and I don't want him here at Everton - he's not good enough.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 24, 2018, 11:20:51 PM
Reply #1675

plumber

Wba (first game)and Bournmouth games should have showed the Sam lovers what we are in for for his entire tenure.
But like the board they're blind to anti football .

I haven't noticed any Sam lover here except one a bit weird gentleman who is probably a wum.

There are some level-headed people who understand what a load of crap this squad is and know that it will take time to fix it and that it's silly to get their knickers in a twist about something what is inevitable anyway (i.e. Sam staying at least until summer).

That doesn't make them Sam lovers.

January 24, 2018, 11:23:52 PM
Reply #1676

gizzblue

I haven't noticed any Sam lover here except one a bit weird gentleman who is probably a wum.

There are some level-headed people who understand what a load of crap this squad is and know that it will take time to fix it and that it's silly to get their knickers in a twist about something what is inevitable anyway (i.e. Sam staying at least until summer).

That doesn't make them Sam lovers.
Look harder there is way more than one lover....and we know his contract says he's here till summer, but he wouldn't be the first gone before a contract was up yes ?.

Leve some of us to live in hope at least 👍

January 24, 2018, 11:52:34 PM
Reply #1677

Evertonian in NC

The day he was appointed was a dark and shameful day in Everton history, and the sooner we go about correcting that, the better.  Won't fix everything, no - but a necessary predicate.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 25, 2018, 01:20:01 AM
Reply #1678

eyesalwaysblue

The day he was appointed was a dark and shameful day in Everton history, and the sooner we go about correcting that, the better.  Won't fix everything, no - but a necessary predicate.
Is that from Hamlet?
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 25, 2018, 02:03:09 AM
Reply #1679

Ridge

57 days might not sound long, 2 months, and christmas period is busy. 11 games over that period is busy, but comparable to every other team.

Koeman had 2 international breaks, with 2 fortnights without football and 9 cup games, 18 in total, we'd played as many games in his 3 months at start of the season, that we'd normally play by christmas time.

Unsworth had 4 games in 11 days, twice, with an international break in the middle. And 5 of those 8 games were away games.