December 10, 2018, 10:58:54 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 136457 times)

February 01, 2018, 10:30:24 PM
Reply #1800

dax78

How?

Only 3 weeks back he was singing his praises at the AGM, he’s just backed him to the tune of £60m in his first transfer window while handing him carte Blanche on who stays or goes from the current squad and he’s backed him with a full squadron of his own staff which he’s actually still looking to add to.

Doesn’t look like he’s a man who’s going anywhere to me.

This. No way is Sam leaving in the summer. Barring a disaster he will be here till summer 2019. And I for one (prepares to be lynched) am happy with that.
In the short time he has been here, he has completely changed the balance of the squad and actually addressed areas that needed improving in a practical manner.

Onwards and upwards.
Hans segers is a legend ;)

February 01, 2018, 10:51:13 PM
Reply #1801

BlueForYou

If we manage a decent season next year, what's to say we won't agree a new 3 year contract extension until 2022? He'll only be 67 by the end of it!
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

February 01, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
Reply #1802

Bluedylan

How?

Only 3 weeks back he was singing his praises at the AGM, he’s just backed him to the tune of £60m in his first transfer window while handing him carte Blanche on who stays or goes from the current squad and he’s backed him with a full squadron of his own staff which he’s actually still looking to add to.

Doesn’t look like he’s a man who’s going anywhere to me.

The less than enthusiastic endorsement when he was appointed. The fact that they rejected Allardyce initially, and threw ridiculous money at Silva. Allardyce is very much a stop gap, and completely at odds with all the messages Moshiri's sent out since he got here about having a small window to catch up with the big boys etc.

I also think the way we've spent money, he would've given anybody money to spend in January, including Unsworth and Koeman.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 01, 2018, 11:02:52 PM
Reply #1803

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Spending the money wisely is a big, big part of the equation. That is why Koeman is gone as much as anything. I think if we end up 7th this season and the 3 new signings (ok, 1 is a loan...but it's about identifying the right players) bed in well I'm all but certain he'll get another summer transfer window and some amount of leeway going into next season.

There has been about 300 mins of half decent attacking football from us this season. 45 mins or so of that was last night. Like it or not, if he can show more of that, and show progress in other areas of the field I'm all but certain Moshiri will give him another season.

February 01, 2018, 11:03:06 PM
Reply #1804

sirblue57

I think the 18 month contract is the clue to this. It's a get out for the club but a chance for him to prove what he believes he can do when given significant resources.
Again,  without making a case for him staying or going I do believe we will end up with a squad that knows exactly where they are and what is expected of them and any club needs that before it can move on.
I think it's a bit of a shame that the appointment of Sam has completely blocked most discussion on the bad place we were/are in and how we actually get out of it. Most attempts to try and discuss it are completely blocked by the anti-Sam comments. Opinions of Sam are everyone's own choice to make but it shouldn't stop us talking about the various stages we need to go through to rebuild and move forward.

The club needs rebuilding from the very top. To many mistakes, poor judgement across the board. Add to this a malaise affecting the club, which manifests as a lack of passion, desire and professionalism. It's been a succession of missed opportunities, bad decisions and plain mismanagement.
The club deserves better and the supporters absolutely deserve better .

So wether Sam is here or not, the board have to demand vast improvements, in players, in attitude and in performance. But they must also show improvement.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

February 01, 2018, 11:09:55 PM
Reply #1805

Macca77

Not a chance he'll be here next season

February 01, 2018, 11:14:47 PM
Reply #1806

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Whatever we think of Walsh - as far as the club is concerned (you’d assume) he’s there to have significant input on transfers, theoretically so that whoever the manager is the signed players aren’t rubbish.

Eg doubt any manager is going to hate having Tosun and Walcott.

So if anything this window has made it easier to change to whoever, if we want.

February 01, 2018, 11:32:05 PM
Reply #1807

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Whatever we think of Walsh - as far as the club is concerned (you’d assume) he’s there to have significant input on transfers, theoretically so that whoever the manager is the signed players aren’t rubbish.

Well again it depends who pushed those transfers, I think 2 out of 3 have the whiff of Allardyce about them. I don't think Walsh is the strong personality in these relationships...he's just a facilitator of sorts.

Personally I think we'll have a new director of football before we have a new manager.

February 01, 2018, 11:46:18 PM
Reply #1808

bacon sarnie

The less than enthusiastic endorsement when he was appointed. The fact that they rejected Allardyce initially, and threw ridiculous money at Silva. Allardyce is very much a stop gap, and completely at odds with all the messages Moshiri's sent out since he got here about having a small window to catch up with the big boys etc.

I also think the way we've spent money, he would've given anybody money to spend in January, including Unsworth and Koeman.

That makes wayyyyyyyyyy to much sense like.

February 01, 2018, 11:50:52 PM
Reply #1809

Ross

Well we’ll see soon enough but I can’t see how a “stop gap” can be given so much backing and power over longer term strategic planning and even now with only 13 games to play be looking to add to his back room staff.

Seems like it’s people dealing in wishful thinking rather than looking at the reality of the situation and what’s going on and the more it gets repeated the more people are believing it. 
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 02, 2018, 12:00:00 AM
Reply #1810

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
The club needs rebuilding from the very top. To many mistakes, poor judgement across the board. Add to this a malaise affecting the club, which manifests as a lack of passion, desire and professionalism. It's been a succession of missed opportunities, bad decisions and plain mismanagement.
The club deserves better and the supporters absolutely deserve better .

So wether Sam is here or not, the board have to demand vast improvements, in players, in attitude and in performance. But they must also show improvement.
I understand what you mean (may not agree with it totally) but one can't rebuild from the top down. If the foundation isn't sound then the top is irrelevant and lasts only until the underneath crumbles.
I think it does illustrate what I mean when I say more discussion about rebuilding and less about just Sam (new thread needed?) as your comment about the 'top' has merit but how one does that when the money and power is firmly within that 'top' would make for interesting discussion?
In addition more thought-through argument about how one moves a club from where we are to the 'elite'. That is a major factor and, in my lifetime, only Chelsea and Man City have achieved it from the ranks of the also rans and that by unlimited personal wealth from 2 individuals.
One thing I'm realising more than ever is how difficult it is to bridge that gap. I never thought it was easy but being in a position where we now appear to have more financial clout we are seeing that money in itself is not the only thing. The players good enough to be called elite don't want to move down a step in order to help us make the transition. Etc etc etc!!!
So, is a new thread a good idea or is it just another thread to continue the obsession with Sam?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

February 02, 2018, 12:19:39 AM
Reply #1811

KoemansNumberTens

Just frightens me that we'll take another punt on the next Martinez, koeman or silva and cross our fingers

February 02, 2018, 12:45:26 AM
Reply #1812

gizzblue

Funny really......
It does seem to be two sides of a coin ....the Sam loathers 'myself included' see it as the squad needed forwards in the summer and missed the boat badly back then ,so have now got them in finally although a window late.

The Sam followers or believers (for want of a better term)see it as,  he has now been backed by the board with the two new attackers and will be offered en extension .

Suppose the truth could actually be in the middle somewhere and everything depends on how we do as a team between now and the summer .
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:47:43 AM by gizzblue »
Born not made a blue .

February 02, 2018, 01:01:22 AM
Reply #1813

Mayor Farnum

We're not going to get anyone who is currently in a decent job just because we've steadied the ship. So we're back to another period of scratching around the maybes.
Unless someone at a top club is sacked with perfect timing and falls into our lap; providing we can convince him we're his best option of course.

February 02, 2018, 01:09:53 AM
Reply #1814

MarcusFenix

Both Germany and Spain have better leagues than here.
If you consider the potential for any team to beat any other then Holland, Italy and France are all similar.

If you dont think there is a huge gulf between the top 6 in this league and the other 14 then you're not paying attention (odd aberration of a result aside)

A good indicator of how good a depth a league has is looking at the Europa league. The only time England does well in that is when some of our top 6/champs league teams find themselves in it.

There is clearly a difference between the top 6 and the other 14 PL teams however that difference is even clearer in La Liga and The Bundesliga.

The  EL has as far as I'm aware only been won by one of the big teams in the Spanish, German or English top flight in recent years.

I don't recall many occassions when the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern where beaten by a team like Eibar, Getafe, Koln, Mainz etc....but just last night Bournemouth beat the reigning PL champions and whilst a shock to some degree it happens far more in the PL than La Liga or Bundesliga.

That is why the PL is the best and most competitive league
Whats the difference between lust,love and true love? Spits,swallows and gargles