September 22, 2018, 02:53:18 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 127149 times)

February 02, 2018, 02:47:17 AM
Reply #1830

eugene

Or we could just stop hiring cunts.
But do we hire cunts or turn good managers into cunts? How fickle

February 02, 2018, 02:48:27 AM
Reply #1831

KoemansNumberTens

Thereís no certainty with any manager.

Issue with Martinez was that we hung on too long.

Koeman wasnít a flash in the pan appointment and he did good job in the full season (following on from his own previous two seasons) but didnít do well in particular circumstance this.

Most managers last 3/4 years and thatís if theyíve done really well.

If weíre prepared to buy good (theoretically) players then that should lessen the risk on managers working out.

Koemans reputation at Southampton seemed to be based on the various rebuilds he'd had to do. Only thing was he wasn't responsible for transfers. Then we let him be responsible for transfers and he was really shit at it. Think he got credit for work that wasn't his at Southampton

Obviously no manager is a certainty but we do seem to just want whoever is doing well at that moment. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of thought goes into it

For example we were convinced of silva a couple of months ago so surely we should still be? Doubt we are though

Not sure what the point in sacking allardyce if he's done quite well to take another punt. People seem to be saying they want rid regardless of how he does and regardless of who we can attract. That seems daft

February 02, 2018, 02:48:45 AM
Reply #1832

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
FLUKE?  A fluke is one or maybe a couple of results. 38 games is a season. That is not a fluke. You may fluke an FAcup,  bit I doubt the premiership .
It's insulting to Leicester to say it was a fluke. They worked hard and got some amazing results week in and week out..
Unexpected yes. And maybe some time before it happens again. That does not make it a fluke. That depicts lucky. They earned it and deserve respect for that achievement.

Yeah I didnít mean their performance in that season.

But their performance level was way above anything before or since (from them or anyone else of a similar standing) for about 40 years.

So you canít say the league is competitive on the basis of something as you said, which was completely unexpected.

February 02, 2018, 02:55:43 AM
Reply #1833

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Indeed it was a fluke but nonetheless it happened. When was the last time an unexpected team won La Liga or Bundesliga?

When was the last time a team like Celta Vigo, Real Sociedad, Nurnburg or 1860 Munchen won their top flight?

Yes Leicester was a fluke but it doesn't change the fact that on any given day a struggling team like West Brom can beat one of the top 6 whereas in La Liga or Bundesliga its a real shock when Barca, Bayern or Real get beat by one of the struggling teams in their division

When the last time before that? Itís the exception that proves the rule.

If City lost to a bottom 3 team that would be a shock.

BarÁa lost to espanyol two weeks ago.

Itís years since anyone unexpected finished top 4 even.

There are differences between leagues but theyíre much of a muchness.

February 02, 2018, 03:03:51 AM
Reply #1834

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Honestly think people arenít seeing things straight if they reckon Moshiri is firing Allardyce even if we finish 7-9th (which Iíd say weíre more likely than not to do).

February 02, 2018, 03:04:16 AM
Reply #1835

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Koemans reputation at Southampton seemed to be based on the various rebuilds he'd had to do. Only thing was he wasn't responsible for transfers. Then we let him be responsible for transfers and he was really shit at it. Think he got credit for work that wasn't his at Southampton

Obviously no manager is a certainty but we do seem to just want whoever is doing well at that moment. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of thought goes into it

For example we were convinced of silva a couple of months ago so surely we should still be? Doubt we are though

Not sure what the point in sacking allardyce if he's done quite well to take another punt. People seem to be saying they want rid regardless of how he does and regardless of who we can attract. That seems daft

Issue with SA is that lots of people donít want it to work longer term so quite well isnít good enough as - it wonít work if thereís always an undercurrent of discontent.

Yes thereíd be potential issues with whacking out £15m on managers without solid guarantees (whatever they are) but weíre likely to be more successful if everyone is in the same boat.

February 02, 2018, 04:09:34 AM
Reply #1836

KoemansNumberTens

Issue with SA is that lots of people donít want it to work longer term so quite well isnít good enough as - it wonít work if thereís always an undercurrent of discontent.

Yes thereíd be potential issues with whacking out £15m on managers without solid guarantees (whatever they are) but weíre likely to be more successful if everyone is in the same boat.

Should the board pander to us if it is working? If we finish 7th he's absolutely done as well as he could have. Surely we shouldn't then sack him because people are sulking that he wasn't a fancy enough pick?

I've zero issue with us changing if we can get someone deemed substantially better but not just for the sake of it cos fans didn't want him

February 02, 2018, 04:56:23 AM
Reply #1837

AllyBlue14

Even if we were to win the league with Allardyce, people wouldn't be happy. And we'd hear how he only wants the trophy so he can see his reflection in it or fill it with gravy.

As you say, rightly or wrongly the board have chosen him but if we're going to change again, it has to be for someone who is recognised as being an upgrade. Not just because some/a lot of/most the fans have a stick up their arse about Allardyce.

Personally, I think people have been too quick to criticise, and it's largely the contingent who didn't want him here in the first place. Hopefully now we've got most of the squad back together, and along with the new additions, we can start to produce more football like the first half yesterday.

I just want us to win and as such, I want Big Sam to do well. If we start to play more enterprising football and string together a few results between now and the end of the season, surely he deserves to stay on? If not, we review the situation and see if there are any upgrades available.

February 02, 2018, 05:11:56 AM
Reply #1838

kramer0

Even if we were to win the league with Allardyce, people wouldn't be happy.

Nah.

We'd all be ecstatic with that.

February 02, 2018, 06:41:31 AM
Reply #1839

gizzblue

Even if we were to win the league with Allardyce, people wouldn't be happy. And we'd hear how he only wants the trophy so he can see his reflection in it or fill it with gravy.

As you say, rightly or wrongly the board have chosen him but if we're going to change again, it has to be for someone who is recognised as being an upgrade. Not just because some/a lot of/most the fans have a stick up their arse about Allardyce.

Personally, I think people have been too quick to criticise, and it's largely the contingent who didn't want him here in the first place. Hopefully now we've got most of the squad back together, and along with the new additions, we can start to produce more football like the first half yesterday.

I just want us to win and as such, I want Big Sam to do well. If we start to play more enterprising football and string together a few results between now and the end of the season, surely he deserves to stay on? If not, we review the situation and see if there are any upgrades available.
If he won us the league ...id be his very own gravy slave .. or bisto kid if you prefer.

February 02, 2018, 08:55:53 PM
Reply #1840

Lxxx

I think Moshiri may have to put the rebuild of the club on hold as he's got himself in a pickle here with the Allardyce appointment. I can foresee him doing okay from here on in and staying next season, but changes happening above him and a mutual parting of the ways in 18 months. If we have to wait then so be it, we saw what a new manager and DoF starting at the same time did recently, we won't want to be making that mistake again anytime soon.

February 02, 2018, 10:25:52 PM
Reply #1841

civemark

I am not going to judge Big Sam or any other manager until he has a summer transfer window and pre-season to get his own players in.

February 02, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
Reply #1842

bacon sarnie

Celtic not winning the league is a fluke - Leicester beat big teams to achieve what they did and a big congrats to them for doing so.

February 03, 2018, 12:15:51 AM
Reply #1843

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I think Moshiri may have to put the rebuild of the club on hold as he's got himself in a pickle here with the Allardyce appointment. I can foresee him doing okay from here on in and staying next season, but changes happening above him and a mutual parting of the ways in 18 months. If we have to wait then so be it, we saw what a new manager and DoF starting at the same time did recently, we won't want to be making that mistake again anytime soon.
I think an 18 month contract shows exactly the opposite - keeps loads of options open, room to manoeuvre and buys time to sort out the mess that was Koeman.
5 year contract and loads of money = in a pickle!!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

February 04, 2018, 01:23:03 AM
Reply #1844

Bob Sacamano

Get fucking rid.