September 23, 2018, 03:54:30 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 127451 times)

February 04, 2018, 10:19:59 PM
Reply #15

kramer0

ok, maybe we should hire Dyche after all

Eh. I think there’s a ceiling to what you can achieve with his style. You could make the “with better players...” argument but managers don’t change significantly. Or there’s little evidence to suggest that they change significantly. So what you see is usually what you get and you’re betting against long odds if you expect otherwise.

I still think that, given promises of backroom stability and a big salary, we could lure someone like Favre, who has been very good for multiple clubs in “Big 5” leagues. This class of manager might not win us the PL but would almost certainly be enough to establish us as “best of the rest” domestically and a strong team in Europe.

We can attempt to jump up a tier after we position ourselves there. Walk before you run and all that.

February 04, 2018, 10:52:02 PM
Reply #16

kramer0

If he adds lightning counters through the middle to his playbook we'd be in a fantastic position with Dyche imo.

Part of my point is that those “ifs” almost never happen.

And “almost” is probably being kind.

February 04, 2018, 11:36:46 PM
Reply #17

kramer0

I presume we are talking to the likes of a Fonseca or Tuchel/Favre behind the scenes. If they aren't ready to sign on the instant the season ends, then I snap Silva up immediately.

My interview process includes 3 questions:

1) Will you commit to Mason Holgate at CB, and leave him the fuck alone?

2) Will you commit to Tom Davies is midfield, and leave him the fuck alone?

3) Will you commit to making young players (Lookman, Onyekuru, hopefully DCL too) a key part of your attacking rotation, and teach them in a positive manner?

I don't think you can ask managers to play certain players in exactly that way.

But I do think we need someone who actively wants to integrate youth and make them an important part of the team whenever possible. Koeman's interest in youth was fleeting, Allardyce seems to have no interest at all. That's a problem given how much potential we have lurking around the edges of the first team right now.

February 05, 2018, 12:07:33 AM
Reply #18

kramer0

Are you all that convinced by our young players. I think only lookman looks a good bet to a top 6 standard player. The others I'm not so sure any of them will ever be more than decent premier league players

They're young so of course I'm not "convinced." With that said, Davies, Holgate, and Calvert-Lewin* generally have a positive impact on the team when they start in their natural positions and that's promising. Lookman and Vlasic need work off the ball but they're a lot brighter in possession that the other creative players at the club. Both have earned the right to at least play for 20-30 minutes off the bench each week.

* You can wonder about his "lack" of goals but the fact is that we hardly create any chances for our forwards. He's better at holding the ball and dribbling into space than Niasse with a similar willingness to chase lost causes. I think he and Niasse are a good double act -- DCL for 60', Niasse for 30' when the defense has been softened up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:08:34 AM by kramer0 »

February 05, 2018, 12:07:49 AM
Reply #19

kramer0

Give an 8 year deal asap.

You never know, Ram. We just might.

February 05, 2018, 12:30:25 AM
Reply #20

kramer0

2 all. Life is good

Harry Kane is great.

Don't like him very much when we're playing against him, mind you.

February 19, 2018, 09:05:20 PM
Reply #21

kramer0

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Allardyce to get another next year, get more 7th place results, and buy us time to figure out what we want to do long-term. The club could use some calm behind the scenes and having a manager see out his contract would help in that regard.

With that said, I can see the arguments against it. Another season with a 7th place ceiling will be near-impossible to sell to supporters, especially given the general feeling towards Allardyce right now. Also, what are the chances that Moshiri and his advisors do anything meaningful with extra time to plan? Maybe we're better off with Farhad buying as many raffle tickets as he can until he lucks out and finally picks someone worth a shit.

The difficult thing about where we are right now is it's hard to pick out anybody at the club with any sort of long-term footballing vision that might see us out of this boring, frustrating mid-table rut we're in.

February 26, 2018, 01:45:16 AM
Reply #22

kramer0

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/damning-statistics-underline-sam-allardyces-14335390

Everton have had the fewest shots of any side in the Premier League during Allardyce's time in charge, while also creating the fewest chances from open play. The Toffees have actually faced the second most shots during that time - all damning statistics.

That just goes to show he hasn't really made us any better since he come in

Currently, we're bottom 10 in shot ratio ((shots taken)/(total shots in our matches)) in the time that Opta has been collecting data (since 2009-10).

Same if you change it to shots on target.

https://objective-football.blogspot.com.es/2014/12/the-enlightened-era-2009-2014.html?m=1

(TSR and SoTR, if you want to sort the link above.)

Pure shot totals aren't everything (shot quality matters a lot) but it's not a good sign for a club with "ambition.” We profile out more like Burnley than the teams we say we want to compete with. And this is not just an indictment of Allardyce. Koeman was crap too and we've spent a ton of money on players who don't contribute to enough to chance creation (shakes fist at Walsh).

Something behind the scenes is rotten. We're basically an expensive, less effective Burnley. It's grim. No surprise that none of us really want to watch this team right now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:23:19 AM by kramer0 »

February 27, 2018, 10:20:47 PM
Reply #23

kramer0

The only thing separating Koeman from the boring, old-school English managers is his nationality and pedigree as a player. Same emphasis on defending, same reliance on crossing and individual quality for goals, same lack of ideas when things go wrong. Maybe he wants to "press” a little more without the ball but his approach to possession/attack is as sporadically effective as Allardyce's.

Southampton had a team with quality players that was built to put crosses into the box and feed off of long balls. Sort of like Moyes' Everton. It seems great when it works but there's a limit to how much a team can achieve that way (barring a sustained run of luck).

I'll freely admit that I was duped by Koeman's Southampton results and thought he had the potential to do more. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:39:42 PM by kramer0 »

February 28, 2018, 05:01:31 PM
Reply #24

kramer0

Do we have to conduct our business through the media?