November 13, 2018, 06:49:28 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 133802 times)

February 19, 2018, 04:30:47 AM
Reply #105

KoemansNumberTens

Have we got better though?

Maybe slightly, but there certainly hasn't been a big enough upturn in performances.

He's produced the worst Everton performance for years at Arsenal, Spurs a close second, lost to Bournemouth and drew with West Brom twice.

If we somehow manage to finish 7th it will be at the expense of the other teams below us rather than Allardyce pushing the team on. Burnley haven't won in 11 games and still find themselves 7th for example.

Southampton was our worst performance. This was a team that had scored about 3 goals from open play before us and they could have got 7 or 8 against us. I didn't see the second Arsenal game but if that was genuinely worse against a much better team they should have knocked on 10 plus

February 19, 2018, 08:05:40 PM
Reply #106

KoemansNumberTens

We were a shambles under unsworth to suggest otherwise is a bit daft

February 19, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
Reply #107

KoemansNumberTens

What part of the Arsenal Wba two games or Bournemouth game weren't a shambles exactly ?....everyone said we were better second half at Arsenal but they had won the game already ...so conceivably slowed second half ...the other games were as bad as anything an Unsworth side saw.....so have we improved significantly since ...
I don't see it ...at all.

We were consistently crap under unsworth. Saying someone is worse isn't saying that allardyce has been great every game

February 20, 2018, 01:18:43 AM
Reply #108

KoemansNumberTens

I really don't get people criticising Unsworth and praising Allardyce. Give something other than your personal reassurance, anxiety as reason.

We are far worse going forward and concede marginally less. We've got similar points per game. Allardyce inherited better situation, has had a window, time to build something, support of board.

The only period we were any good under Allardyce, was after he took over from Unsworth.

I voted for unsworth and I genuinely think he'd probably would have relegated us had he stayed on. He was an extremely lucky manager. Performances were infinitely worse than the results. The Southampton game was shambolic. We were incredibly lucky against Watford and palace too

I get nothing out of criticising unsworth. I wanted it to work. He was a lot worst than allardyce though he looked completely out of his depth

February 20, 2018, 03:32:19 AM
Reply #109

KoemansNumberTens

I think nearly everyone thought he'd get us relegated, that was part of the problem.

Unsworth has a long career ahead of him, but I'll eat my hat if he's not rated as a much better manager than Allardyce.

Plenty of people outside the club realise he's achieved great results with youth teams and is most impressive young manager not in first team role.

What's the point in having U23's if inexperience rules out inclusion?

Time will tell. I don't think he'll ever be a successful manager though. We were extremely bad under him. Hope I'm wrong though

February 20, 2018, 03:57:33 AM
Reply #110

KoemansNumberTens

You can't go from a team who can't create, to total football in 4 weeks and 8 games.

We were shit before Unsworth and shit since, we did improve but that's been undone and we are useless in attack again.

I think we're also seeing players wanting to leave, DCL, Lookman etc. Think we'll look back with bemusement at what we've done this season.

Of course you can't and I didn't expect us to play total football. We were worse under unsworth though. I don't think he'll ever be a successful manager. I'm not even overly confident that he'll even try to be now

February 20, 2018, 06:03:06 PM
Reply #111

KoemansNumberTens

Niasse is comfortably our most productive striker, we've just signed tosan who everyone insists should be playing and people are enraged that DCL considered a loan move. They can't all play. Had tosan hit the ground running the best place for DCL would have been out on loan. People are pissed off with everything allardyce does and doesn't do now. It's the default setting
We even had a few pissed off with his take on foodbanks

February 20, 2018, 10:53:31 PM
Reply #112

KoemansNumberTens

But this door swings both ways ....yes there are those of us who hate him and see everything he does as wrong ....
But there are also those of you who see nothing wrong in anything he does. ..even when he fucks up royal .
And while I and im sure othersdon't dispute the fact Niasse is our best form striker ...the problem lies in a much anticipated striker being brought in to sit on the bench when he was twice as expensive. ..but surely that can't be the managers fault or his buddy Walsh ?.

It is very early days with tosan. Obviously if it continue it's very wrong. I think saying he's fucked up is to assume tosan has no chance of working out. Bit early for that conclusion in my opinion

February 21, 2018, 12:52:16 AM
Reply #113

KoemansNumberTens

Big Sam only ever does anything to make himself appear in a good light. He's an incredibly vein, insecure man. It's one of his defining characteristics.

🙄

February 21, 2018, 12:54:19 AM
Reply #114

KoemansNumberTens

I'm not commenting on him playing/not playing Tosun. I'm speaking generally. He cares massively about he's perceived. I'd imagine even most of his fans would acknowledge that.

Totally agree. So he really wants to be a success here not just get 40pts. Not just here for the money. His reputation and his insistence that he hasn't had the chances he's deserved in his career stand or fall on his time here. So all them daft shouts of him not giving a shit are just crazy

February 24, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
Reply #115

KoemansNumberTens

I'm not really a romantic, I'm a cynical bugger at heart. But I believe that development wins with most things in life, you'll get pretty far on knowledge and dedication. Marco Silva turned round the initial perception at Hull, everyone wrote off Pochettino when he arrived, Leicester didn't want Ranieri, but they all had contracts and time to prove otherwise. When Unsworth was replaced, he'd got most our PL goals and nearly half our points.

Did education at same place as Ferguson, Sacchi, Capello, Mourinho, Moyes, Silva. Awarded UK talent development coach of the year 2017. Won the U23 league and is still in chase for title this season despite disruption. I wouldn't have been a big fan of promoting a youth coach for sake of it, I'm a fan of promoting a talented, respected, decorated youth coach when all our other options were shit.

The scale of the tasks were vastly different with fixture congestion. Unsworth was spoilt for excuses and used none of them. Allardyce's legacy as a pioneer is self promotion, yes he used technology and data, as did most big clubs. He just modernised Bolton, not football.

The best managers in league are around 40-45, Unsworth's age, not 65. He's stayed in education longer than others, but he's built his own team in youth football and he's now looking to go into senior football. Ideally he wants to do at Everton with players from U23's, but if he has to start somewhere else then he will.

He beat Moyes, Silva, he made positive changes that played us back in with a chance after going behind against Conte and Puel etc. We were more open at the back at times, but it also meant we were building a side that play with the ball and create attacks, that should be expected, not a luxury, but it was never going to happen overnight or without teething problems. And the poor performances have been replicated before and since.

Fonseca, Tuchel, Guardiola came through as youth coaches. Here's an article about what's been happening in Germany from last year.

Unsworth did a shambolic job all be it short term and in testing circumstances. I genuinely can't believe anyone still thinks he's the answer

February 24, 2018, 10:46:10 PM
Reply #116

KoemansNumberTens

And yet, he's got a better PL win percentage than Allardyce has ever achieved at any club.

Each to their own. I thought we were shambolic. I think most would agree. We got a couple of very lucky results but in terms of actually being good at the job and a long term success not a chance for me.