September 25, 2018, 10:48:42 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 128116 times)

February 19, 2018, 04:30:47 AM
Reply #2340

KoemansNumberTens

Have we got better though?

Maybe slightly, but there certainly hasn't been a big enough upturn in performances.

He's produced the worst Everton performance for years at Arsenal, Spurs a close second, lost to Bournemouth and drew with West Brom twice.

If we somehow manage to finish 7th it will be at the expense of the other teams below us rather than Allardyce pushing the team on. Burnley haven't won in 11 games and still find themselves 7th for example.

Southampton was our worst performance. This was a team that had scored about 3 goals from open play before us and they could have got 7 or 8 against us. I didn't see the second Arsenal game but if that was genuinely worse against a much better team they should have knocked on 10 plus

February 19, 2018, 05:57:30 PM
Reply #2341

Lxxx

We've done nothing since he came in that I wouldn't have expected Unsworth to do once he'd found his feet. We've not improved our general play, we still don't know our best team, we still get spanked against the better sides, we concede way too many chances against us and we've also spent the best part of £50m.

It's such a poor league under the top 6 that it's amazing we're still in with a shout of 7th, after our form has stayed roughly the same. I'm at a loss what we're getting for our £6m/year to be honest. 

February 19, 2018, 06:36:07 PM
Reply #2342

BlueMaquis

We've done nothing since he came in that I wouldn't have expected Unsworth to do once he'd found his feet.

Unsworth wouldn't have regressed the team to playing a neanderthal style of football.

February 19, 2018, 07:36:53 PM
Reply #2343

formerKHL

Unsworth wouldn't have regressed the team to playing a neanderthal style of football.

Although I thought rhino was out of his depth somewhat I also think the panic button in terms of getting someone else in was pushed a tad too early.

Having said that if rhino would have "failed" would we now be screaming for someone like sam to bail us out the relegation dogfight we may have been in ?

February 19, 2018, 08:01:32 PM
Reply #2344

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Although I thought rhino was out of his depth somewhat I also think the panic button in terms of getting someone else in was pushed a tad too early.

Having said that if rhino would have "failed" would we now be screaming for someone like sam to bail us out the relegation dogfight we may have been in ?

Yes we would be deffo.

I’ve no issue with the man being hired, better to make a decisive decision like we did and just put the relegation chatter to bed ASAP.

But none of that makes Sam a viable choice for next year because the aims for next year will not be the aims we suddenly had around Christmas this year.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:17:21 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 19, 2018, 08:05:40 PM
Reply #2345

KoemansNumberTens

We were a shambles under unsworth to suggest otherwise is a bit daft

February 19, 2018, 08:41:16 PM
Reply #2346

gizzblue

We were a shambles under unsworth to suggest otherwise is a bit daft
What part of the Arsenal Wba two games or Bournemouth game weren't a shambles exactly ?....everyone said we were better second half at Arsenal but they had won the game already ...so conceivably slowed second half ...the other games were as bad as anything an Unsworth side saw.....so have we improved significantly since ...
I don't see it ...at all.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:42:41 PM by gizzblue »

February 19, 2018, 08:48:32 PM
Reply #2347

formerKHL

I was talking to me mate about BFS the other day whilst we were waiting to get lunch in the canteen...

my mate said" you evertonians should give sam a break..."

a person behind us in the queue who shall remain nameless said..."preferably his fkkin neck..."

I nearly choked with laffin...

February 19, 2018, 09:05:20 PM
Reply #2348

kramer0

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Allardyce to get another next year, get more 7th place results, and buy us time to figure out what we want to do long-term. The club could use some calm behind the scenes and having a manager see out his contract would help in that regard.

With that said, I can see the arguments against it. Another season with a 7th place ceiling will be near-impossible to sell to supporters, especially given the general feeling towards Allardyce right now. Also, what are the chances that Moshiri and his advisors do anything meaningful with extra time to plan? Maybe we're better off with Farhad buying as many raffle tickets as he can until he lucks out and finally picks someone worth a shit.

The difficult thing about where we are right now is it's hard to pick out anybody at the club with any sort of long-term footballing vision that might see us out of this boring, frustrating mid-table rut we're in.

February 19, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
Reply #2349

KoemansNumberTens

What part of the Arsenal Wba two games or Bournemouth game weren't a shambles exactly ?....everyone said we were better second half at Arsenal but they had won the game already ...so conceivably slowed second half ...the other games were as bad as anything an Unsworth side saw.....so have we improved significantly since ...
I don't see it ...at all.

We were consistently crap under unsworth. Saying someone is worse isn't saying that allardyce has been great every game

February 19, 2018, 10:27:54 PM
Reply #2350

gizzblue

We were consistently crap under unsworth. Saying someone is worse isn't saying that allardyce has been great every game
But are we actually any better now either ?....i dont think we are ...as soon as we play anyone of note we will go to pieces again .
And BFS will be back on camera slating players ....of he took any of the blame as manager when "he" fucks up like Unsworth did, at least we could have a modicum of respect for him.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:30:17 PM by gizzblue »

February 19, 2018, 11:26:59 PM
Reply #2351

Heisenberg

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Allardyce to get another next year, get more 7th place results, and buy us time to figure out what we want to do long-term. The club could use some calm behind the scenes and having a manager see out his contract would help in that regard.

With that said, I can see the arguments against it. Another season with a 7th place ceiling will be near-impossible to sell to supporters, especially given the general feeling towards Allardyce right now. Also, what are the chances that Moshiri and his advisors do anything meaningful with extra time to plan? Maybe we're better off with Farhad buying as many raffle tickets as he can until he lucks out and finally picks someone worth a shit.

The difficult thing about where we are right now is it's hard to pick out anybody at the club with any sort of long-term footballing vision that might see us out of this boring, frustrating mid-table rut we're in.

Nah fuck that we have loads of good players and young players who need developing now, he needs to go. We've got enough time to sort something before summer. Then again, we did for the striker situation...

February 20, 2018, 12:55:31 AM
Reply #2352

Ridge

I really don't get people criticising Unsworth and praising Allardyce. Give something other than your personal reassurance, anxiety as reason.

We are far worse going forward and concede marginally less. We've got similar points per game. Allardyce inherited better situation, has had a window, time to build something, support of board.

The only period we were any good under Allardyce, was after he took over from Unsworth.

February 20, 2018, 01:18:43 AM
Reply #2353

KoemansNumberTens

I really don't get people criticising Unsworth and praising Allardyce. Give something other than your personal reassurance, anxiety as reason.

We are far worse going forward and concede marginally less. We've got similar points per game. Allardyce inherited better situation, has had a window, time to build something, support of board.

The only period we were any good under Allardyce, was after he took over from Unsworth.

I voted for unsworth and I genuinely think he'd probably would have relegated us had he stayed on. He was an extremely lucky manager. Performances were infinitely worse than the results. The Southampton game was shambolic. We were incredibly lucky against Watford and palace too

I get nothing out of criticising unsworth. I wanted it to work. He was a lot worst than allardyce though he looked completely out of his depth

February 20, 2018, 01:27:07 AM
Reply #2354

Dr. Sponge

We all wanted Unsworth to do well, but he needs to do it at a lower league team first. Prove you can do it and then the board and fans will give you more time when things donít go right.

As it happened though, we got torn apart by Leicester because of bad tactics, then hammered by Lyon and only beat Watford coz they missed a last minute pen. Then the next two games were Atalanta 5-1 and home and possibly our worst performance 4-1 away against a struggling Southampton. That bad run and no previous track record of success for a professional team meant he was never gonna get the rest of the season.