September 20, 2018, 08:08:07 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 126754 times)

February 24, 2018, 05:42:39 PM
Reply #2415

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Just watched the prematch interview and his answers are of a man who is perfectly happy with mediocrity ,happy to win one of six away games ,happy to finish seventh ,happy to lose to Arsenal and Spurs ,what the board think is only for them to know but if they are happy with him ,we are fucked .Will we go down no but we probably wouldn't have anyway ,the oaf is basking in the glory of being Everton's manager but never says anything that portrays a fondness for the club . Cannot wait to see the end of him.
To be fair he's been plain that the first task is to avoid relegation and he's entitled to feel happy when he reaches that milestone. Nowhere has he said that reaching that point is the end product, once achieved then the club can start building for next season is what he says.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

February 24, 2018, 06:18:53 PM
Reply #2416

Mayor Farnum

Just watched the prematch interview and his answers are of a man who is perfectly happy with mediocrity ,happy to win one of six away games ,happy to finish seventh ,happy to lose to Arsenal and Spurs ,what the board think is only for them to know but if they are happy with him ,we are fucked .Will we go down no but we probably wouldn't have anyway ,the oaf is basking in the glory of being Everton's manager but never says anything that portrays a fondness for the club . Cannot wait to see the end of him.
I know. Fuckin' Allardyce. We've bought all the players the top six didn't want and the rest can't afford an all he looks capable of doing is finishing seventh.

February 24, 2018, 06:29:54 PM
Reply #2417

Ross

I know. Fuckin' Allardyce. We've bought all the players the top six didn't want and the rest can't afford an all he looks capable of doing is finishing seventh.

If thatís just how football works how did Leicester win the league the year before last?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 24, 2018, 06:33:10 PM
Reply #2418

Mayor Farnum

If thatís just how football works how did Leicester win the league the year before last?

I don't know but to be fair I don't think they know themselves. We'll get through a few managers in the next few years if we sack them each time they finish outside the top six.

February 24, 2018, 07:19:43 PM
Reply #2419

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder how they will get rid? Fan base will want day one of the summer, Sam gone...but canít see that?

Mutual termination?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 24, 2018, 07:35:35 PM
Reply #2420

Bluedylan

I don't know but to be fair I don't think they know themselves. We'll get through a few managers in the next few years if we sack them each time they finish outside the top six.

It's not just that though is it, and you know it. It's about his small time approach, his willingness to write off games altogether, his inability to stick with a winning team, his shameless self-aggrandisement.

If you're going to criticise an argument which you oppose, you should at least to attempt to reflect the argument properly. This misrepresentation is a bit cheap.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 24, 2018, 07:46:05 PM
Reply #2421

Mayor Farnum

It's not just that though is it, and you know it. It's about his small time approach, his willingness to write off games altogether, his inability to stick with a winning team, his shameless self-aggrandisement.

If you're going to criticise an argument which you oppose, you should at least to attempt to reflect the argument properly. This misrepresentation is a bit cheap.

Really? I didn't address the points were the poster claimed Big Sam was happy to lose to Spurs and Arsenal and happy to win one game in six because no-one, apart from those unwilling to give him a chance, think that at all.
Happy to finish seventh? Yes. Happy at the circumstances that mean it'll be that way for a while? No.
Make an argument for us to finish in the top six and then we can see if he's up to the job. 

February 24, 2018, 08:31:44 PM
Reply #2422

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Really? I didn't address the points were the poster claimed Big Sam was happy to lose to Spurs and Arsenal and happy to win one game in six because no-one, apart from those unwilling to give him a chance, think that at all.
Happy to finish seventh? Yes. Happy at the circumstances that mean it'll be that way for a while? No.
Make an argument for us to finish in the top six and then we can see if he's up to the job. 

With the financial backing we have, and the squad of players our ambition should be to get into the top six.

Or do you believe we should just accept mediocrity, keep Sam in and just be happy we're still in the premier league?

February 24, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
Reply #2423

Mayor Farnum

With the financial backing we have, and the squad of players our ambition should be to get into the top six.

Or do you believe we should just accept mediocrity, keep Sam in and just be happy we're still in the premier league?

When I see proof of the financial backing I may change my mind. But we have zero pull for top quality players so unless we can financially compensate them in the same way Chelsea and City did in their early days of being big boys we won't be challenging the current top clubs.
A case in point is Lukaku. We offered him 110 grand a week, post Moshiri joining, and that is nowhere near his market value.
Show me the money!

February 24, 2018, 09:15:01 PM
Reply #2424

Bob Sacamano

Preposterous. The market is saturated with cash, absolutely noting like when city and Chelsea started their spending. We could offer Rom 50k more than Utd and heíd still go there. We offered him a wage that he was 99.9% happy with, end of. Even if the Sig transfer was offset by the Rom money I still think itís clear as day weíre willing to pay a level above for a player that we want these days.

Fuck this Bolton Wanderers Allardyce bullshit. 

February 24, 2018, 09:21:32 PM
Reply #2425

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
How does a club in our position get those players the top clubs DO want? If we can't get them who is left EXCEPT the players the top clubs don't want?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

February 24, 2018, 09:23:43 PM
Reply #2426

Mayor Farnum

How does a club in our position get those players the top clubs DO want? If we can't get them who is left EXCEPT the players the top clubs don't want?

We don't. That's my point. Whoever is the manager he will be faced with the same, currently insurmountable, problems Sam faces.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:25:28 PM by Mayor Farnum »

February 24, 2018, 09:31:11 PM
Reply #2427

Ridge

I was surprised and disappointed at Oxford rejection but I like the idea thereís something bigger in the offing.

Iíll be honest, I love your romantic view of him, that heís a highly rated young coach with fresh ideas etc. And I would love to buy in to it, but I struggle tbh.

I think allardyceís legacy as a pioneer with the Bolton side puts him untouchable to unsworth tbh.

But if somehow unsworth cracks the top 6 or wins a cup or has a 10-15 year career in the prem then yeah Iíd give you that.

Just personally very surprised at the idea youíd think unsworth is nailed on to far surpass allardyce.

I'm not really a romantic, I'm a cynical bugger at heart. But I believe that development wins with most things in life, you'll get pretty far on knowledge and dedication. Marco Silva turned round the initial perception at Hull, everyone wrote off Pochettino when he arrived, Leicester didn't want Ranieri, but they all had contracts and time to prove otherwise. When Unsworth was replaced, he'd got most our PL goals and nearly half our points.

Did education at same place as Ferguson, Sacchi, Capello, Mourinho, Moyes, Silva. Awarded UK talent development coach of the year 2017. Won the U23 league and is still in chase for title this season despite disruption. I wouldn't have been a big fan of promoting a youth coach for sake of it, I'm a fan of promoting a talented, respected, decorated youth coach when all our other options were shit.

The scale of the tasks were vastly different with fixture congestion. Unsworth was spoilt for excuses and used none of them. Allardyce's legacy as a pioneer is self promotion, yes he used technology and data, as did most big clubs. He just modernised Bolton, not football.

The best managers in league are around 40-45, Unsworth's age, not 65. He's stayed in education longer than others, but he's built his own team in youth football and he's now looking to go into senior football. Ideally he wants to do at Everton with players from U23's, but if he has to start somewhere else then he will.

He beat Moyes, Silva, he made positive changes that played us back in with a chance after going behind against Conte and Puel etc. We were more open at the back at times, but it also meant we were building a side that play with the ball and create attacks, that should be expected, not a luxury, but it was never going to happen overnight or without teething problems. And the poor performances have been replicated before and since.

Fonseca, Tuchel, Guardiola came through as youth coaches. Here's an article about what's been happening in Germany from last year.

February 24, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
Reply #2428

KoemansNumberTens

I'm not really a romantic, I'm a cynical bugger at heart. But I believe that development wins with most things in life, you'll get pretty far on knowledge and dedication. Marco Silva turned round the initial perception at Hull, everyone wrote off Pochettino when he arrived, Leicester didn't want Ranieri, but they all had contracts and time to prove otherwise. When Unsworth was replaced, he'd got most our PL goals and nearly half our points.

Did education at same place as Ferguson, Sacchi, Capello, Mourinho, Moyes, Silva. Awarded UK talent development coach of the year 2017. Won the U23 league and is still in chase for title this season despite disruption. I wouldn't have been a big fan of promoting a youth coach for sake of it, I'm a fan of promoting a talented, respected, decorated youth coach when all our other options were shit.

The scale of the tasks were vastly different with fixture congestion. Unsworth was spoilt for excuses and used none of them. Allardyce's legacy as a pioneer is self promotion, yes he used technology and data, as did most big clubs. He just modernised Bolton, not football.

The best managers in league are around 40-45, Unsworth's age, not 65. He's stayed in education longer than others, but he's built his own team in youth football and he's now looking to go into senior football. Ideally he wants to do at Everton with players from U23's, but if he has to start somewhere else then he will.

He beat Moyes, Silva, he made positive changes that played us back in with a chance after going behind against Conte and Puel etc. We were more open at the back at times, but it also meant we were building a side that play with the ball and create attacks, that should be expected, not a luxury, but it was never going to happen overnight or without teething problems. And the poor performances have been replicated before and since.

Fonseca, Tuchel, Guardiola came through as youth coaches. Here's an article about what's been happening in Germany from last year.

Unsworth did a shambolic job all be it short term and in testing circumstances. I genuinely can't believe anyone still thinks he's the answer

February 24, 2018, 10:32:57 PM
Reply #2429

Ridge

Unsworth did a shambolic job all be it short term and in testing circumstances. I genuinely can't believe anyone still thinks he's the answer

And yet, he's got a better PL win percentage than Allardyce has ever achieved at any club.