August 22, 2019, 05:15:32 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 163323 times)

March 04, 2018, 05:41:59 PM
Reply #2895

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
There are always fans who seem to enjoy being right about this stuff. Few people wanted Allardyce but to be fair he did OK for a bit. He's totally the wrong person for this club but I can still see why the club appointed him at the time. 

March 04, 2018, 05:43:29 PM
Reply #2896

Bluedylan

When Allardyce was appointed I wasn’t over the moon, but I took the attitude of supporting him as I would any player who pulls on the blue shirt. I know I’m not alone in admitting it hasn’t worked out, and I’m disappointed in this, but the gloating on this thread is totally unnecessary. I look forward to Sam achieving what he was brought in to do (keep us up) then move on with a new manager next season.

You could've kept us up, April. It's really not any sort of achievement.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

March 04, 2018, 06:06:46 PM
Reply #2897

Rodenplav64

When Allardyce was appointed I wasn’t over the moon, but I took the attitude of supporting him as I would any player who pulls on the blue shirt. I know I’m not alone in admitting it hasn’t worked out, and I’m disappointed in this, but the gloating on this thread is totally unnecessary. I look forward to Sam achieving what he was brought in to do (keep us up) then move on with a new manager next season.

Swansea didn't see the need to appoint a relic as Manager and they were in worse shit than us . I would much rather stay up like they will playing football than I would stumbling over the line like someone had cut my achilles . As for gloating we appointed the biggest gloater of them all when he gets 1 or more points per game .

March 04, 2018, 06:14:43 PM
Reply #2898

Dr. Sponge

The criticism that he got when he initially took over was unfair, especially when we went on a good run and we were looking solid at the back. Plus, the squad is a bit shit - striker?, left back, Schneiderlin, Williams etc

But we’ve come out of the January transfer window looking awful. The two disappointing results going into Christmas were ok with me as long as we sorted our shit out in the transfer market. But aside from probably the Leicester game we have been woeful.

Yeah some of the players still are shite, but Martina didn’t play too badly yesterday and our striker scored. Williams and Keane were terrible yesterday in both halves, but we didn’t react to them going 2 up front.

Oh and since when have we zonal marked on corners?

March 04, 2018, 06:23:57 PM
Reply #2899

Rodenplav64

The criticism that he got when he initially took over was unfair, especially when we went on a good run and we were looking solid at the back. Plus, the squad is a bit shit - striker?, left back, Schneiderlin, Williams etc

But we’ve come out of the January transfer window looking awful. The two disappointing results going into Christmas were ok with me as long as we sorted our shit out in the transfer market. But aside from probably the Leicester game we have been woeful.

Yeah some of the players still are shite, but Martina didn’t play too badly yesterday and our striker scored. Williams and Keane were terrible yesterday in both halves, but we didn’t react to them going 2 up front.

Oh and since when have we zonal marked on corners?

I am sorry mate but there was no good run of results and we never looked solid at any point . We beat Huddersfield , Swansea and Newcastle before the wheels came off . We scraped a draw with an all out defensive effort against Chelsea and WBA should have beaten us twice . The same WBA that have been rooted to the foot of the table . I hate him being given any credit whatsoever for keeping us up because in short he has done no such thing . He hasn't even taken us away from the relegation zone the league is that poor . I would argue looking at the upcoming fixtures that if we fail to beat Brighton and take a hiding off City and Liverpool we will right back in it . A few draws will see us just about stay up and he knows it . That is the time for thanks but no thanks if you want to be polite about it .

March 04, 2018, 07:03:13 PM
Reply #2900

Macca77

March 04, 2018, 08:35:08 PM
Reply #2901

blue1948

I am sorry mate but there was no good run of results and we never looked solid at any point . We beat Huddersfield , Swansea and Newcastle before the wheels came off . We scraped a draw with an all out defensive effort against Chelsea and WBA should have beaten us twice . The same WBA that have been rooted to the foot of the table . I hate him being given any credit whatsoever for keeping us up because in short he has done no such thing . He hasn't even taken us away from the relegation zone the league is that poor . I would argue looking at the upcoming fixtures that if we fail to beat Brighton and take a hiding off City and Liverpool we will right back in it . A few draws will see us just about stay up and he knows it . That is the time for thanks but no thanks if you want to be polite about it .
We really haven't played well once for a whole game .

March 04, 2018, 08:40:25 PM
Reply #2902

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The rest of the team were far from perfect, but it’s obvious that both the centre halves cost us the game today.

They got absolutely terror’d by Ashley Barnes all game and it was always coming. Why does he insist on picking them both over Holgate? And why wasn’t Jags even on the bench.. am I missing something?

Worst back four and striking options in the league for the majority of the year frankly.

Quality wise and athletically.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 04, 2018, 08:57:24 PM
Reply #2903

Evertonian in NC

For what it's worth, I'm happy to have all hands on deck for "Allardyce out."  I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make the best of it, or flat out rationalizing away how awful the appointment was - just because I wasn't able to do so.

Shit, it's probably just a barometer of my own emotional health.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 09:16:53 PM
Reply #2904

Nick

March 04, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
Reply #2905

Dr. Sponge

Stopped reading after the first sentence.

March 04, 2018, 11:00:05 PM
Reply #2906

Alanvideo

A bit of light relief from yesterday's Guardian..........

BIG SAM’S SCHOOL OF SCIENCE

A cynic could conceivably argue that Everton are not having a great season. Under Ronald Koeman, the Merseyside club finished seventh and went on an expensive summer trolley dash. Supporters were buoyant with optimism for a brave new dawn, with hopes high that their team would once again finish seventh, but in a swashbuckling style befitting a club that had spent the thick end of £180m on the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson, Michael Keane, Davy Klassen and Jordan Pickford, as well as bringing in Wayne Rooney, Sandro and Cuco Martínez.

Sam Allardyce claims Everton in ‘very good position’ and hits back over style
 Read more

Having assembled these expensive new acquisitions, Koeman set about putting them together with all the dexterity and skill of a drunk trying to assemble an Ikea kitchen cabinet without instructions and was soon sent packing, making way for “Unzy”, who it soon became apparent was hopelessly out of his depth. With the very real prospect of relegation looming, there was only one thing to do and the Big Sam insignia could soon be seen lighting up the sky over Goodison Park. Now Everton are ninth, playing the kind of agricultural percentage football for which Big Sam has long been renowned despite his dogged insistence, in the face of all available evidence to the contrary, that it is not the kind of agricultural percentage football that his teams play.

“At the moment we are in a very good position,” said Sam earlier, when it was put to him that his team is not in a very good position and that he might be ordered to do one at the end of the season. “I am slightly surprised about the [speculation] but you can look at the two differences between us: good at home and not good enough away from home.” Sam also put forward the tenuous argument that Everton must be having a good season, because they’re only three points behind Burnley and everyone seems to think they are doing great. That’s the same Burnley, who spent about £30m last summer and have failed to win any of their past 11 top-flight games.

While there is every chance that Everton will reel in Burnley and finish seventh again, the fact of the matter is that they are currently 13 points worse off than at the corresponding time last season. While the blame for this cannot be laid at the door of a manager who only took over in late November, the style in which they are going about their business most certainly can. “Style of play is only brought up by previous people making out from many years ago we were playing this type of football, which is 10 years ago past,” sniffed Sam, accusing those who take umbrage at his overly-cautious approach of yearning for halcyon, long gone days of yore. Indeed, who can forget the samba-style tiki-taka approach of Tony Hibbert, Nuno Valente and Steven Pienaar under David Moyes, at a time when Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur were both bobbins and the Scot led them to the dizzy heights of fifth.

We are special ,we are Everton.

March 05, 2018, 12:10:33 AM
Reply #2907

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Indeed, who can forget the samba-style tiki-taka approach of Tony Hibbert, Nuno Valente and Steven Pienaar under David Moyes, at a time when Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur were both bobbins and the Scot led them to the dizzy heights of fifth.

What the hells that bit about?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 05, 2018, 12:46:14 AM
Reply #2908

Paddockoldie

Allardyce rode the new manager bounce but the facts are now evident that he's no good. He can bluff and blagg his way but time catches up with him. That time is now. We're not going down so put Unsy or Dunc in til the end of the season. Go all out for Fonseca or Nagelsmann and clear out the dead wood ie Williams, Shit house, Martina. Tell Rooney it's centre mid or nothing. Make Sig the number 10 he should be. Give Klassen a good run in pre season to make it break him. Get lookman back and Doyle to boost the squad.
Most of all have more realistic expectations... it's gonna take 2 seasons to put us back together... minimum

March 05, 2018, 12:50:52 AM
Reply #2909

dunkster

He took credit for the win that unsworth provided!!
We are getting outplayed by West Brom (home and away) Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley. And absolutely hammered by the better teams
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER