November 20, 2018, 12:07:05 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 71697 times)

June 26, 2018, 09:45:06 PM
Reply #2205

Glory

On the whole, though they don't give a fuck about it. And that's fine. I'd sooner football-mad nations do better, in whichever part of the world that happens to be.
Ridiculous sentiment. Ignores the millions in those countries that are football mad. Those that get up at 4am regularly to watch games.

June 26, 2018, 09:45:22 PM
Reply #2206

Ramjam

Still though, if you polled Australians as to their favourite/most important sport, would football come in the top 2?
Absolutely yes
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

June 26, 2018, 09:46:26 PM
Reply #2207

Bluedylan

😉

I think it's great how the whole country unites behind the team. Others could learn something from it.

Oh yeah, Aussies'll back any other Aussies doing anything. Agreed. There could be a world beheading championship and you'd fully get behind your beheaders. I like your competitive spirit, and you're great rivals in other sports. It's not meant to be a diss on Aus (or the US), more of a point about who cares/doesn't care about football.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 26, 2018, 09:47:59 PM
Reply #2208

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
How popular is football in countries outside of South America and Western Europe?

June 26, 2018, 09:48:17 PM
Reply #2209

Bluedylan

Absolutely yes

Over Rugby Union, League and Cricket? Football would be more popular? Not to mention Aussie Rules. If I'm wrong fair enough, but I find that very hard to believe.

June 26, 2018, 09:48:39 PM
Reply #2210

Ramjam

Oh yeah, Aussies'll back any other Aussies doing anything. Agreed. There could be a world beheading championship and you'd fully get behind your beheaders. I like your competitive spirit, and you're great rivals in other sports. It's not meant to be a diss on Aus (or the US), more of a point about who cares/doesn't care about football.
Diggings yourself a hole here BD
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

June 26, 2018, 09:48:48 PM
Reply #2211

Glory

No not really mate. I couldn't give two fucks about the Wallabies. In fact I like watching them lose. Posh bastards.

June 26, 2018, 09:48:53 PM
Reply #2212

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
France and Denmark look kinda ok with the draw.

June 26, 2018, 09:49:36 PM
Reply #2213

Bluedylan

How popular is football in countries outside of South America and Western Europe?

Massive. Middle East's obsessed with it, same with Scandinavia and Asia. Not sure about Indian subcontinent. That seems to be more cricket, with football growing massively.

June 26, 2018, 09:50:19 PM
Reply #2214

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I expect there's more people in the US who care about football than there are in the UK. Most kids play it now, there's tons of travel teams at school level, the MLS is getting better each season, and when the US is at the finals, there's a huge following. Not to mention the effect the prem is having over here, every single prem league game is broadcast over here.

Even at this world cup, the coverage has been second to none, and actually sounds much better than the UK's efforts.

And this is on the Fox network too!

When I was in Australia, it was probably fourth most popular sport behind rugby, Aussie rules and cricket. Sounds like it's getting bigger now according to the above.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 26, 2018, 09:50:24 PM
Reply #2215

Glory

Over Rugby Union, League and Cricket? Football would be more popular? Not to mention Aussie Rules. If I'm wrong fair enough, but I find that very hard to believe.
You've lived in Australia how long? Good to see you're so clued into what we do and enjoy over here so quickly!

June 26, 2018, 09:51:04 PM
Reply #2216

blue slug

Seriously ramjam, I would of thought cricket, rugby, aussie rules then football 4th

June 26, 2018, 09:51:23 PM
Reply #2217

Bluedylan

You've lived in Australia how long? Good to see you're so clued into what we do and enjoy over here so quickly!

So tell me, is football more popular than those sports?

June 26, 2018, 09:52:50 PM
Reply #2218

Bluedylan

Perhaps in your eyes. In mine, I'm giving a genuine opinion and I'm not arsed if it winds people up. If they disagree or think I'm wrong, they can argue the toss and that's fine.

June 26, 2018, 09:54:20 PM
Reply #2219

Ramjam

Average RL crowd is about 8000 for a game they’ve played competitively here since the 40s, cricket is fucked they can’t give the tickets away, Aussie rules is virtually a one state sport, Union isn’t popular except at national level however they are upgrading stadiums for football as the teams involved are having record requests for season tickets
WE ARE THE PEOPLE