September 26, 2018, 12:39:34 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 63638 times)

March 30, 2018, 05:36:29 PM
Reply #75

Cereal Killer

No British referees picked for the world cup pretty much sums up the standard we're subjected too each week.

This was already decided in 2016..... usual media trying to make sensationalist headlines out of nothing

March 30, 2018, 06:49:33 PM
Reply #76

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
This was already decided in 2016..... usual media trying to make sensationalist headlines out of nothing

Just goes to show how long the poor standard has been going then.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

March 30, 2018, 07:00:51 PM
Reply #77

Major Clanger

There's a Russian guy in our hostel (formerly homeless), who was in the Soviet Army in Afghanistan and he's a serious fella, but he's endlessly fascinating. I'm constantly asking about his life and experiences.

His opinion is that the World Cup will be absolutely fine, as long as people going to Russia are respectful and clued up. His basic advice is, never, ever fuck with any police or 'officials', under any circumstances. And then in terms of the normal Russian populace, he stresses that people are very proud and very keen to entertain guests. So the hospitality will be excellent, but that visitors need to be respectful of their hosts. Anyone that comes into the country with the typical 'I'm gonna get fucked up and fuck shit up' attitude will be in for a rude awakening.

I'd fucking love to go to Russia personally, but won't be able to afford it this summer. Definitely on the to-do list eventually.

Oh, absolutely. I know all nations love to be proud of their own but Russian hospitality is genuinely a thing.

And yeah, don't fuck with the police. Though they'll probably get extra training to soften them up a bit, but old habits die hard.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 30, 2018, 08:17:09 PM
Reply #78

Ridge

It's the youngsters who have been doing MMA training that I'd be worried about.

Would expect most countries won't have many issues, but no way would I be going as an England fan.

March 30, 2018, 10:07:05 PM
Reply #79

Big Nev

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with Bluedylan's mate. I've been to Russia a few times for swimming.
They love visitors, provided you behave yourself.
They're always ready to help if you're in the street trying to read a map for instance. You'd have no end of people trying to help.

When dealing with authority, e.g at passport control at the airport, just have a smile on your face and don't get pissed off if something seems to take ages.
Rotterdam \'85
I was there!!!

March 30, 2018, 11:04:28 PM
Reply #80

bacon sarnie

I agree with Bluedylan's mate. I've been to Russia a few times for swimming.
They love visitors, provided you behave yourself.
They're always ready to help if you're in the street trying to read a map for instance. You'd have no end of people trying to help.

When dealing with authority, e.g at passport control at the airport, just have a smile on your face and don't get pissed off if something seems to take ages.

Same in the Caribbean. Soon come etc. I work with Russians and most of the time they keep to themselves and have a great sense of humour if they like you. Wouldn't be seen dead at the world cup with union jack clobber etc etc.

Note: Russian women are hot except for her in the Mike Myers movie.

March 31, 2018, 01:12:11 AM
Reply #81

Ridge

They love some bureaucracy and I've always liked every Russian I've ever met.

A bit like Americans, those who travel tend to be the more decent ones.

But I fully expect England fans to get an absolute pasting, hope no families or decent people travel.

April 01, 2018, 03:38:41 PM
Reply #82

dangermouse

Not entirely off topic but.....Does anyone know where I can get a hardcover  Russia 2018 Panini sticker album?
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

April 16, 2018, 11:27:53 PM
Reply #83

Major Clanger

They're crazy enough to do this in the World Cup, you know.

The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

April 17, 2018, 03:54:24 AM
Reply #84

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
They're crazy enough to do this in the World Cup, you know.

That's horrible.

April 17, 2018, 03:55:52 AM
Reply #85

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
yeah awful :(
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

April 17, 2018, 04:46:34 AM
Reply #86

Jamokachi

It's just a guy in a suit....

:whistle:

April 17, 2018, 02:32:56 PM
Reply #87

Bally

Administrator
It was Chelsea
It's the roll I way

May 10, 2018, 03:09:05 AM
Reply #88

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Don't think I've ever been as unexcited by a World Cup as this one. Really weird.

Suppose we should savour it as after this one and the next they'll be increasing it from 32 to 48 teams, and then the tournament is truly fucked.

May 16, 2018, 09:52:56 PM
Reply #89

Omar

Don't think I've ever been as unexcited by a World Cup as this one. Really weird.

Well, there is Qatar up next. So..........
I WANT MY $2!