December 12, 2018, 08:46:58 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 73623 times)

June 25, 2018, 12:02:13 AM
Reply #1950

Omar

If Poland vs Columbia is a draw later. Be exciting knowing any of the 4 can qualify from this group.

And even could finish with all 4 teams on 4 points.

That would be rough for two of those
You come at the king, you best not miss.

June 25, 2018, 12:05:34 AM
Reply #1951

Bluedylan

This is the first time I've invested more of me in England since 1996. Probably a mixture of the arrogance of the golden generation, slowly losing my national identity and the fact I (like most on here) find it hard to support an England full of rs players.

It's crazy really, we had far better players a decade ago, with a high profile manager, yet always did poorly when it mattered. Now we have Gareth Southgate, average at best in club football who has come across well in the few times I've seen him interviewed and is doing a very decent job on the international stage and players who don't have the big egos, everything seems down to earth. I even like Harry Kane now. I want him to beat Rooney's record now.

Of course, I'm also not exposed to the same media coverage of the national team either which makes it a lot easier to "come back" as well. I didn't even know there was a media attack on Sterling until I saw the thread on here about him the other day. I don't like Sterling because he's ex rs and not a very good goal scorer.

I feel like I've been out in the wilderness for years regarding the national teams, and while I technically have the four nations (three in this tournament) to get behind, it's really one I can have a true depth of interest in. I can't invest heavily like someone who would support two teams, Everton and Celtic say lol. It's good to see England off to a good start at least as a decade ago Tunisia would have been a draw and Panama perhaps a 2-0 sluggish win.

Yeah, people have their own reasons and national identity is a personal thing in a way. I couldn't be any less bothered about 'Englishness' or whatever that means. Not in a self loathing leftie way, I just don't see it as a big deal either way. We've done good and bad in the world, and it is what it is (to quote Harry Kane). It's an accident of birth where you happen to be born and emerge on the Earth's surface, in my eyes, so I don't attach a massive significance to that.

Probably my main dislike is just England fans, and the kinds of people that it can sometimes attract. Of course there are sound England fans within that. Anyone who wants to talk about empires or insinuate some kind of cultural superiority or whatever would be my issue, and I dare say all national teams have people like that following them. We seem to have quite a lot like that, but maybe I see it more than with other nations.

As for this team, overall it's likeable, it's progressive and the manager has got a brain in his head and has conducted himself immaculately in my opinion, when plenty of England fan morons were slaughtering him without any justification.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 25, 2018, 12:17:47 AM
Reply #1952

Bluedylan

Poland looked old and leggy in the first game, and Columbia did well with 10 men for almost all the game. Think the Columbians might turn up tonight and remind people of their quality. Not a team I'd particularly want England to play.

June 25, 2018, 12:20:13 AM
Reply #1953

blue slug

Who has said its shit? Madness.... its been fantastic.

Also starting to get pissed off at people mocking England fans for celebrating. Get a fucking life.

Itís ridiculous how we think as fans, itís like we want to be wank cos we prefer to criticise

June 25, 2018, 12:20:50 AM
Reply #1954

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, people have their own reasons and national identity is a personal thing in a way. I couldn't be any less bothered about 'Englishness' or whatever that means. Not in a self loathing leftie way, I just don't see it as a big deal either way. We've done good and bad in the world, and it is what it is (to quote Harry Kane). It's an accident of birth where you happen to be born and emerge on the Earth's surface, in my eyes, so I don't attach a massive significance to that.

Probably my main dislike is just England fans, and the kinds of people that it can sometimes attract. Of course there are sound England fans within that. Anyone who wants to talk about empires or insinuate some kind of cultural superiority or whatever would be my issue, and I dare say all national teams have people like that following them. We seem to have quite a lot like that, but maybe I see it more than with other nations.

As for this team, overall it's likeable, it's progressive and the manager has got a brain in his head and has conducted himself immaculately in my opinion, when plenty of England fan morons were slaughtering him without any justification.

Sounds like England rugby fans
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

June 25, 2018, 12:23:01 AM
Reply #1955

Macca77

Iím seeing people saying this tournament has been shit so far.

Honestly donít know what people want from a football tournament.

Personally think itís been the best I can remember. Quality, goals and drama throughout.

The fact there hasnít been one 0-0 yet tells its own story.

Who said this? Tell me and I will hunt them down and end them all

June 25, 2018, 12:27:22 AM
Reply #1956

Bluedylan

Iím seeing people saying this tournament has been shit so far.

Honestly donít know what people want from a football tournament.

Personally think itís been the best I can remember. Quality, goals and drama throughout.

The fact there hasnít been one 0-0 yet tells its own story.

I think that's people who don't actually like watching football. The sort of people, if you watch a game in the pub with them, they talk non stop about other stuff during the game, and then stop for goals and sending offs and then start to give opinions on the game based on that one event, without having actually watched it.

People love all the pageantry and soap opera element, but some people just don't like football all that much and so their default position unless it's 4-3 with two reds will say 'that was a bit shit'. And that's fine for those that don't like it, of course. Just don't pretend you do, and then pontificate about it like you know what you're on about.

June 25, 2018, 12:44:55 AM
Reply #1957

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Think it's been brilliant so far. Haven't taken this much interest in a WC for a while. Loved 1990. This is almost as good.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

June 25, 2018, 12:46:21 AM
Reply #1958

blue slug

Think it's been brilliant so far. Haven't taken this much interest in a WC for a while. Loved 1990. This is almost as good.

86, 90 and 98, been shite since then

June 25, 2018, 12:46:45 AM
Reply #1959

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Who does Senegal's CB who wasn't Koulibaly play for?  He looked decent today.
My momma says I'm special.

June 25, 2018, 12:48:02 AM
Reply #1960

blue slug

Napoli I think

June 25, 2018, 12:50:08 AM
Reply #1961

Ross

Remember when we were in for him and ended up with Big Ash!
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 25, 2018, 12:51:07 AM
Reply #1962

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's actually nice the US isn't in the competition this time, because all the coverage I have seen has been very neutral. No over the top bandwagon stuff, in fact most games have a pundit from the country playing representing the analysis. And this is all on Fox of all channels. In fact I wouldn't even know the world cup was on unless I actually tuned in.

For me, that's helping a lot as well, it's a unique position I've never experienced which allows me to form my own opinions and generate my own excitement and interest.

The perception I am seeing is that it's a world cup where nations aren't only competing but people of different nations are coming together as one. Whether that's really happening or not, I don't know, but there's a real unified feeling. Maybe it's a stark contrast of the disunity in the world in general at present.

Now I want Columbia to win this next game.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

June 25, 2018, 12:52:16 AM
Reply #1963

velimski

Yes! Higuita the crazy bastard.

June 25, 2018, 12:53:22 AM
Reply #1964

Bluedylan

Hannover. Looks a decent player.

EDIT: Already agreed to sign for Schalke this summer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:57:14 AM by Bluedylan »