November 17, 2018, 11:00:49 PM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 71559 times)

June 25, 2018, 03:18:56 AM
Reply #2010

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
germany austria caused that

Fuckin' Hitler.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 25, 2018, 03:39:41 AM
Reply #2011

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
So, we're entering the last round of group games with lots still to play for.

Group A
Russia play Uruguay tomorrow to decide who tops the group.  Russia are top at the minute, so only a Uruguay win changes that. Saudi and Egypt have nothing to play for except the Mo Salah consolation trophy.

Group B
Play after the above, with Portugal knowing a win puts them through as group winners to play 2nd place from Grp A.  If they don't win, then if Spain win then they win the group.  If they lose then they're out and Iran go through. There's also a scenario where Spain lose by 2 and Portugal and Iran draw and Spain go out.

Group C
France are through.  A draw between them and Denmark on Tuesday puts Denmark through in second.  A Denmark win puts them through top.  A France win and an Australia win against Peru with either by 2 goals puts Australia through instead of Denmark.  Peru are out.

Group D
Basically win and you're in for second spot between Argentina and Nigeria.

Group F
Things get weird with Group F playing before Group E.  This group was turned on its head with Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible last kick winner last night.

Mexico are through unless they lose, where if that were to happen and Germany win too then Mexico don't go through even with 6 points.  Don't ask me who wins the group in that scenario though as I've no idea.

Group E
Everything to play for here, with Brazil and Serbia playing out a win and you're in game.  A draw is no good to Serbia without a Switzerland loss, but a draw and a Switzerland win would mean Switzerland win the group.

Group H
Again playing out of order.  Same as the above group, except if Japan win they win the group irrespective of other results.  Either Senegal or Colombia go through with a win.  A draw is no good for Colombia.

Group G
Belgium and England playing off to pick their route  for the latter stages.  Everything else will be mapped out before them before kick off, and with Martinez saying he'll field a sexond string team it'll either be dead exciting or complete rubbish.

My momma says I'm special.

June 25, 2018, 03:41:08 AM
Reply #2012

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
And I was only ten at the time and had really caught the football bug.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

June 25, 2018, 03:55:20 AM
Reply #2013

BlueNoseMike

Group B
Play after the above, with Portugal knowing a win puts them through as group winners to play 2nd place from Grp A.  If they don't win, then if Spain win then they win the group.  If they lose then they're out and Iran go through. There's also a scenario where Spain lose by 2 and Portugal and Iran draw and Spain go out.

Spain are currently top so Portugal don't necessarily guarantee top spot with a win at all. Spain currently top due to having less yellow cards. There's potential for a coin toss decide winner (if Spain get one more yellow card than Portugal and both win by same scoreline)

June 25, 2018, 03:57:11 AM
Reply #2014

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Spain are currently top so Portugal don't necessarily guarantee top spot with a win at all. Spain currently top due to having less yellow cards. There's potential for a coin toss decide winner (if Spain get one more yellow card than Portugal and both win by same scoreline)

I wrote it thinking Spain were top and had to change it after seeing this?
My momma says I'm special.

June 25, 2018, 04:03:10 AM
Reply #2015

BlueNoseMike

I wrote it thinking Spain were top and had to change it after seeing this?

http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/06/20/5b2abac122601d8b7f8b45c0.html

Spain top from what I've seen/read. Plus a Portugal win wouldn't have guaranteed top spot if Portugal were top anyway (Spain could outscore them and top it). Hard to call this one as maybe Iran can sneak a win, but you'd also say Morocco have been unlucky and are due a result.

Been a class world cup anyway and thanks for summarising the potential outcomes of all the other groups

June 25, 2018, 01:40:46 PM
Reply #2016

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Iceland play Croatia tonight, if I eland beat them (unlikely) and Argentina beat Nigeria ( unlikely) then Gylfi stays on into the round of 16. Do we want this to happen or would we prefer he’s off on his hols without injury and focuses on pre season ?

June 25, 2018, 02:23:50 PM
Reply #2017

Gash

Global Moderator
It's this hype that starts grinding on people. I liked the way England went quietly about their preperation, then 20 good minutes in the first game and gubbing a poor Panama team, which included two penalties and a big deflection and the nation's gone full kopite.

I'll be happy enough if they do well, I loved some of the English players in the 80's and 90's but you only need to listen to people like Terry Butcher to see that people need to take a deep breath and slow down a bit. It just makes it all the worse when the wheels come off.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:58:37 PM by Gash »

June 25, 2018, 02:33:48 PM
Reply #2018

Macca77

The hype has gone way over the top as usual, we've beat two very poor teams. Thursday will be a good test but, weirdly losing and finishing second will probably give us an easier run of games, when I say easier, we will avoid the likes of Germany and Brazil.

June 25, 2018, 02:44:22 PM
Reply #2019

Cereal Killer

https://twitter.com/ManOnToday/status/1010873144561819648

"That's all me that is, I put the foundations in place. I'm the greatest manager ever, isn't that right lads? Lads??"

June 25, 2018, 03:44:13 PM
Reply #2020

Toffee1

https://twitter.com/ManOnToday/status/1010873144561819648

"That's all me that is, I put the foundations in place. I'm the greatest manager ever, isn't that right lads? Lads??"

He's been on Talksport this morning saying he was there hosting an event, with Robbie Savage - looks pretty sparse to me. He kept on saying that it was a nice burger but that they did not put any ketchup on it for him.

June 25, 2018, 03:54:06 PM
Reply #2021

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
One can only wonder what the score might have been were Allardyce still England manager, that is if we had even qualified ? Yesterday would have been all about just getting a point that would see us through to the last 16.

June 25, 2018, 04:34:52 PM
Reply #2022

Cereal Killer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44551221

What the actual fuck?!

No one gives a shit that Egypt will be out except for Egyptians

It's been a great World Cup so far, not a fucking one man show
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:38:16 PM by Cereal Killer »

June 25, 2018, 04:53:11 PM
Reply #2023

sam of the south

What the actual fuck?!

That is terrifying
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

June 25, 2018, 04:54:14 PM
Reply #2024

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

What the actual fuck?!

fucking hell. I never really minded him, apart from him being a kopite. But the cosying up with the chechnya guy, fuck him. Awful. Sickening.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!