December 10, 2018, 01:27:06 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 73431 times)

July 01, 2018, 02:56:58 AM
Reply #3045

Nicco

This is football!

What a tournament!
Drama everywhere until final whistle in almost every game!
Jönköpings Södra IF

July 01, 2018, 03:11:52 AM
Reply #3046

Shogun

Administrator
Good to see France go up a gear today, they did it seamlessly as well.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

July 01, 2018, 03:25:05 AM
Reply #3047

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Good to see France go up a gear today, they did it seamlessly as well.

Yeah, if France do hit form then they're going to be difficult to stop.  Having said that, I think that the match up with Uruguay is really interesting and should be a very close game.

July 01, 2018, 05:19:34 AM
Reply #3048

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 01, 2018, 05:59:08 AM
Reply #3049

KoemansNumberTens

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11422358/criticism-of-jordan-pickford-after-englands-loss-to-belgium-was-harsh-says-peter-shilton

Wasn’t really harsh. He should have saved it. Was a very strange attempt at keeping it out. I know we are meant to pretend he’s a world beater but he makes a hell of a lot of errors

July 01, 2018, 01:22:07 PM
Reply #3050

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn’t really harsh. He should have saved it. Was a very strange attempt at keeping it out. I know we are meant to pretend he’s a world beater but he makes a hell of a lot of errors

There’s a difference between criticism along the lines of “should have made a better attempt to save that” and ones that are not good enough or implying that he may cost the team further down the line.

We know that he’s only playing because there’s no one better at the moment rather than because he’s at the level of a genuine world class keeper. But there is no point in hammering someone for this, as there is no choice (that is going to be a different). Why compare him to Schmeichel or van der Sar as Giggs and Neville did - England don’t have the level of option sitting around doing nothing so it’s an irrelevance.

As for potential issues further in the tournament - what’s the point here? So they (pundits) can say I told you so if something does actually go wrong?

This is a point re the treatment of keepers rather than Everton players, as it’s daft.

Do they sit there saying that they hope Rashford doesn’t cost them later in the tournament when he misses a one v one? No. So why not, missing a sitter has the same effect on the score line? Same with Rose not shielding the player away from goal; are there string criticisms and complaints that he’s not as good as speak Ashley Cole (or Maldini for even more irrelevance)?

But re Pickford pundits should be more nuanced and take stock of the situation.

His age is relevant re potential mistakes because he is the best option, therefore you have to take into account what that means. In this case he’s 23/24 and therefore will make more mistakes than an equivalent level 30 year old.

And

July 01, 2018, 01:26:04 PM
Reply #3051

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
What a World Cup we are having

Feel like this tournament with the weather we’re having down here will go down as the best of a generation.

Was particularly pleased to see cavani net last night. Such a good striker.

Roll on today.

July 01, 2018, 01:41:35 PM
Reply #3052

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Going to my parents for the day for a BBQ... cant wait to watch the match with my dad :)
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

July 01, 2018, 02:48:06 PM
Reply #3053

Macca77

Missed both of yesterday's games cos of a family do, they had the tele on like but was busy mingling with family I hadn't seen for a few years, won't be making the same mistake today. Really looking forwards to watching Croatia later, they're the best team in the tournament so far for me

July 01, 2018, 05:37:01 PM
Reply #3054

velimski

I haven't really entertained the thought of Russia causing an upset against Spain, but I suppose it could happen.

July 01, 2018, 06:21:34 PM
Reply #3055

Shogun

Administrator
I haven't really entertained the thought of Russia causing an upset against Spain, but I suppose it could happen.

The whole “No expectations on England” thing would be well out the window if that happened.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

July 01, 2018, 07:04:46 PM
Reply #3056

velimski

The whole “No expectations on England” thing would be well out the window if that happened.

It certainly would.

July 01, 2018, 08:13:10 PM
Reply #3057

velimski

Odd decision to leave Cheryshev on the bench. 

July 01, 2018, 08:32:07 PM
Reply #3058

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
You know you're set in midfield when Thiago isn't good enough to get in. And Iniesta!
My momma says I'm special.

July 01, 2018, 08:42:33 PM
Reply #3059

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Hierro used to take penalties did he not?

I recall him scoring one in 98.