November 12, 2019, 02:42:55 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 106075 times)

July 15, 2018, 02:37:07 AM
Reply #30

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
The giants of world football. Croatia really donít count. Me on my own could get beat by Croatia. Itís not an achievement to get outplayed and beaten by a good team

I kind of donít get you at all yno.

July 15, 2018, 03:03:09 AM
Reply #31

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
We performed in much the same way as we always do. Of course it was fun getting to the semi. Of course it was nice to dream. The reality is though we didnít play particularly well and we didnít beat any good teams.
We barely created anything from open play. Lost 3 of the 7 games.
We didnít even have the unlucky exit like we had in 90 and 96. We were comfortably beaten by a Croatian side taken to penalties by Russia and Denmark.

It was okay. It was what it always is. There wasnít some fantastic progress people are pretending. We got further cos we faced more second rate teams

I meant in general.

The progress of the squad I think youíre selling a little short, but I get that they technically achieved nothing in the end.

Iím not usually one in using the shitness of others as a barometer of success, but some pretty top sides with huge pedigree were beaten by some with literally no pedigree, so the fact we didnít bomb out at group/second round is in context a big positive that youíre overlooking, in my opinion.

I get we didnít play the huge sides, but thatís the way footy works, and most of them had been knocked out by a bunch of part-timers anyway.

July 15, 2018, 03:51:50 AM
Reply #32

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Can only beat whatís in front of you is totally true. 3 times out of 7 we didnít though and a 4th time it took penalties.

Iím looking at it more going forward. Of course we did better than Spain and Germany but do any of us really believe weíll be in better shape than either of them come the next Euros

The positives were individuals Pickford McGuire and trippier. I think in terms of performances it was much the same as weíve always known it.

Canít argue with any of that. Though I feel a bit meh about McGuire. Everyone loves him so I guess Iím on my own in that one.

July 15, 2018, 05:27:48 AM
Reply #33

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Modric is enough to bring anyone joy.