November 14, 2018, 06:28:50 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 70899 times)

July 05, 2018, 11:02:50 AM
Reply #3870

Ramjam

And Gareth Southgate keeps surprising me more and more. What a great gesture.
Gestures like that are easy when you win, my question would be what would hid demeanour have been if he’d have lost.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 05, 2018, 02:26:23 PM
Reply #3871

Macca77

I was one of the first to roll my eyes when Southgate got the job, it was the easiest appointment by the FA, they had got their yes man etc...but what a job he's done so far, its like the shackles have been taken off the players, they're loving it, seen a few interviews with them and they all say that Southgate is more of mate than manager, the whole camp is really relaxed, which is great for team morale, having the media stay in the same hotel has also helped. Former managers like Capello and Erikson wouldn't let the players move, they were proper regimented, that didn't work, Southgate is the complete opposite, gives them all the freedom to do what they want and its working.

July 05, 2018, 02:32:30 PM
Reply #3872

Macca77

July 05, 2018, 02:36:18 PM
Reply #3873

Ramjam

I was one of the first to roll my eyes when Southgate got the job, it was the easiest appointment by the FA, they had got their yes man etc...but what a job he's done so far, its like the shackles have been taken off the players, they're loving it, seen a few interviews with them and they all say that Southgate is more of mate than manager, the whole camp is really relaxed, which is great for team morale, having the media stay in the same hotel has also helped. Former managers like Capello and Erikson wouldn't let the players move, they were proper regimented, that didn't work, Southgate is the complete opposite, gives them all the freedom to do what they want and its working.
It’s a good job that Gazza isn’t in the squad then eh
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 05, 2018, 03:21:40 PM
Reply #3874

Macca77

July 05, 2018, 03:45:07 PM
Reply #3875

Ramjam

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 05, 2018, 05:00:22 PM
Reply #3876

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
My momma says I'm special.

July 05, 2018, 06:17:42 PM
Reply #3877

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Gestures like that are easy when you win, my question would be what would hid demeanour have been if he’d have lost.

I think equally as classy.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 05, 2018, 06:22:01 PM
Reply #3878

Bluedylan

I think equally as classy.

He's a properly sound fella. He doesn't do things for effect or cameras like Mourinho or Klopp. He does what he thinks is right.

Not to make this about me but I've always sung Southgate's praises, when it was quite unpopular to do so. I sort of resent all the Sun readers who slaughtered him now getting on board with him. Fuck them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 05, 2018, 06:29:10 PM
Reply #3879

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He's a properly sound fella. He doesn't do things for effect or cameras like Mourinho or Klopp. He does what he thinks is right.

Not to make this about me but I've always sung Southgate's praises, when it was quite unpopular to do so. I sort of resent all the Sun readers who slaughtered him now getting on board with him. Fuck them.

Always liked him as a player. As a manager, felt he never did so well and was a bit weak managing in the prem.

Until he got the England job and things seem to have clicked. Right man at the right time. Even if England get no further than the quarters, I think he's brought more hope and more class than any England manager since probably Venables (in terms of hope, not class though), but ultimately since Bobby Robson. It's certainly the first time in 2 decades I've felt any kind of pride watching England play. It's funny, this appointment is one you really didn't expect to work out, and yet all the so called world class managers like Erikson and Capello failed miserably with far superior players at hand. He's done an immense job with geling a team together and remaining classy and humble at the same time. Perhaps there was no weight of expectation this time?

I've not seen or experienced any of the media hype that no doubt is being drenched upon the country right now. Closest I've seen is Ian Wright dancing around like a nutjob in the Fox studio on Red Square each time England win.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 05, 2018, 06:45:30 PM
Reply #3880

Shogun

Administrator

Do you think he could be a success at club level?
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

July 05, 2018, 07:01:07 PM
Reply #3881

Bluedylan

Do you think he could be a success at club level?

Don't see any reason why not like. You?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 05, 2018, 07:23:41 PM
Reply #3882

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Same was with players, judgement should be tempered when looking at the WC.

Erickson lost in QF to good teams (on pens twice) in tournaments which, if England could have won (if they’d had Pickford ;) ).

Equally they could have lost the other day and a last 16 exit having only looked convincing against an awful Panama wouldn’t look like whatever he is doing was great.

@Shogun @Bluedylan  I’d wary on the point that if he’s seen as a “mate” then that’s not so applicable to club management where you’re with the players (including the ones who hate you) all the time.

Here it’s a short burst of time where cohesion is really needed and if you’re in the squad most players are pleased.

There’s not loads of long term tactical planning etc so softer skills are probably enhanced.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:24:56 PM by GLewis »

July 05, 2018, 07:41:59 PM
Reply #3883

Cereal Killer

I wonder if our media is happy that all their Anti-Russia fear-spreading propaganda has resulted in us playing most matches, and especially this one, totally outnumbered in the stands, at ironically the most peaceful World Cup of all time?

Most peaceful World Cup of all time and sparsity of England fans?? I'm sure there's no correlation between the two at all.....

July 05, 2018, 08:43:31 PM
Reply #3884

sam of the south

Most peaceful World Cup of all time and sparsity of England fans?? I'm sure there's no correlation between the two at all.....

Haha, Without a doubt.

Did you see those nobends kicking off with each other watching the England match on some public big screen?

Laughable antics.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them