December 10, 2018, 01:16:02 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 73426 times)

July 07, 2018, 03:10:24 PM
Reply #4275

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I can't help think that all this "it's coming home" hype is a bit reminiscent of Liverpool's "we're going to win the league" chant half a dozen games before the season was finished. Also, a bit like their Champions League final where they were all the talk over here and no one mentioned Real Madrid, no one's mentioning Sweden, it's like people have them in the final already and the next two games are just a formality. Let's hope England don't have a Gerrard slip moment today but I've a feeling there's going to be a sting in the tail of this fairy tale.

Its all tongue in cheek though, isnt it?  People enjoying having a bit of fun without actually believing England will win, which is conpletely different to them lot and their expectation that they'll win the league/cl?
My momma says I'm special.

July 07, 2018, 03:10:57 PM
Reply #4276

BlueNoseMike

I can't help think that all this "it's coming home" hype is a bit reminiscent of Liverpool's "we're going to win the league" chant half a dozen games before the season was finished. Also, a bit like their Champions League final where they were all the talk over here and no one mentioned Real Madrid, no one's mentioning Sweden, it's like people have them in the final already and the next two games are just a formality. Let's hope England don't have a Gerrard slip moment today but I've a feeling there's going to be a sting in the tail of this fairy tale.

Can see your point. But I genu8nely think the difference between England stuff and Liverpool is that I honestly think a large majority of the it's coming home stuff (which I've found hilarious tbh) is very much tongue in cheek and just bandwagoning for some laughs. People might believe it (it's definitely our best chance) but I think (or I'd hope) people in reality are a lot more grounded with it.

Fwiw Sweden will be tough to beat, probably  one of the hardest teams to breakdown and the current squad has pedigree doesn't it? *

*it's coming home though

July 07, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
Reply #4277

Alanvideo

The man should never have been employed by the club in the first place, that's not bitter that's just fact.
..................yes probably . If Moyes's team had turned up that day and not got trounced by Wigan ,I doubt we'd have even considered Martinez. Fellaini had his worst game ever and I don't think Neville played for us again.
We are special ,we are Everton.

July 07, 2018, 03:19:10 PM
Reply #4278

Gash

Global Moderator
Its all tongue in cheek though, isnt it?  People enjoying having a bit of fun without actually believing England will win, which is conpletely different to them lot and their expectation that they'll win the league/cl?

Watching TV and listening to the radio it seems more than just a bit of fun, I think it started that way but it's become more than just tongue in cheek now.

July 07, 2018, 03:33:45 PM
Reply #4279

sam of the south

Watching TV and listening to the radio it seems more than just a bit of fun, I think it started that way but it's become more than just tongue in cheek now.

Yes, there are parallels with the cringe media narrative, and also with bellends in pubs.

However, even numbskull, cockney Shite and Spurs supporters that I know are still keeping things mainly in perpective, ranging from mildly optimistic to pessimistic.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 07, 2018, 03:36:26 PM
Reply #4280

Bluedylan

It's a pisstake. Everyone's well aware that it could end against Sweden, or Croatia/Russia. This has been the best atmosphere among England fans I can remember. People are enjoying it, but aware it could end at any minute and people are having a laugh with it.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 07, 2018, 03:41:28 PM
Reply #4281

KoemansNumberTens

It's a pisstake. Everyone's well aware that it could end against Sweden, or Croatia/Russia. This has been the best atmosphere among England fans I can remember. People are enjoying it, but aware it could end at any minute and people are having a laugh with it.

I agree people are having a laugh but the vast majority of people I know expect us to make the final now. I think people genuinely believe ďitís coming homeĒ but thatís the nature of being an England fan. A cycle of no hope, false hope and disappointment. The truth is so far weíve been pretty average.
Still with whatís left we do have a really decent chance

July 07, 2018, 03:42:55 PM
Reply #4282

Bluedylan

I agree people are having a laugh but the vast majority of people I know expect us to make the final now. I think people genuinely believe ďitís coming homeĒ but thatís the nature of being an England fan. A cycle of no hope, false hope and disappointment. The truth is so far weíve been pretty average.

Relentlessly negative as usual.

I don't see it that way at all. Everyone I know who's into it is having a right laugh with it, and is well aware that it could be done today or in the semis and that would be no disgrace.

I disagree about the 'pretty average' as well. That's very cynical and typical of you. Put 6 past Panama, outplayed and should've put a few more past Tunisia, Belgium game was pointless and dealt with a horrible challenge in Colombia, who we deserved to beat in 90 minutes, and still picked ourselves up and overcame despite the late heartbreak and their awful, shithouse tactics.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:47:47 PM by Bluedylan »

July 07, 2018, 03:49:04 PM
Reply #4283

Bluedylan

What do joy and happiness look like to you?

July 07, 2018, 03:51:58 PM
Reply #4284

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
The coming home stuff is totally different to the RS stuff. Itís a joke...people are enjoying being swept up in it and having a laugh.

Most people I know think we will go out today, but that wonít stop us singing itís coming home before the match.

Been amazing and Iím loving it :)
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

July 07, 2018, 03:57:55 PM
Reply #4285

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

Its Euro 96, or the 2012 Olympics all over.  We love something positive sporting wise to get behind.

That and the fact the weather has been great.  Imagine if the World Cup had actually been here this month :o
My momma says I'm special.

July 07, 2018, 04:03:50 PM
Reply #4286

KoemansNumberTens

Relentlessly negative as usual.

I don't see it that way at all. Everyone I know who's into it is having a right laugh with it, and is well aware that it could be done today or in the semis and that would be no disgrace.

I disagree about the 'pretty average' as well. That's very cynical and typical of you. Put 6 past Panama, outplayed and should've put a few more past Tunisia, Belgium game was pointless and dealt with a horrible challenge in Colombia, who we deserved to beat in 90 minutes, and still picked ourselves up and overcame despite the late heartbreak and their awful, shithouse tactics.

Columbia Panama and Tunisia. No clean sheet, won 1 in the last minute, won 1 on penalties. Itís really not been greatv

July 07, 2018, 04:14:30 PM
Reply #4287

Bluedylan

Columbia Panama and Tunisia. No clean sheet, won 1 in the last minute, won 1 on penalties. Itís really not been greatv

But there's no divine right to beat anyone. You have to go out and do it, and earn it. Ask Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Holland etc etc.

Sure, you can sit at home like Alan Shearer or Danny Murphy and mumble on about how unimpressed you are because you didn't batter a team you know nothing about, but it's tournament football and we have no right to expect to beat anyone.

Dude, you can put a cynical, depressive spin on anything. Did you think we were beating Colombia when they got that equaliser, or when they were all over us in the first period of extra time, or when we missed the first penalty? I certainly didn't. But they got through it mentally, when lots of past England teams haven't. The football wasn't pretty but it's never going to be in that kind of psychological and physical battle.

No-one is saying we've played amazing football. But why would we? And who else has in this tournament? We're an average international team, making the most of our limited team and a favourable draw. I honestly don't see a single reason for negativity, other than a mental predisposition towards that.

July 07, 2018, 04:17:36 PM
Reply #4288

KoemansNumberTens

But there's no divine right to beat anyone. You have to go out and do it, and earn it. Ask Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Holland etc etc.

Sure, you can sit at home like Alan Shearer or Danny Murphy and mumble on about how unimpressed you are because you didn't batter a team you know nothing about, but it's tournament football and we have no right to expect to beat anyone.

Dude, you can put a cynical, depressive spin on anything. Did you think we were beating Colombia when they got that equaliser, or when they were all over us in the first period of extra time, or when we missed the first penalty? I certainly didn't. But they got through it mentally, when lots of past England teams haven't. The football wasn't pretty but it's never going to be in that kind of psychological and physical battle.

No-one is saying we've played amazing football. But why would we? And who else has in this tournament? We're an average international team, making the most of our limited team and a favourable draw. I honestly don't see a single reason for negativity, other than a mental predisposition towards that.

All I said is itís not been great. Youíre agreeing with me arenít you?

July 07, 2018, 04:19:51 PM
Reply #4289

Bluedylan

All I said is itís not been great. Youíre agreeing with me arenít you?

No. I think we've been superb, because I start off with very realistic expectations of the team, based on our limited players and our past performance at tournaments. Saying pretty much exactly the opposite of you.