September 22, 2018, 07:17:40 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 63027 times)

July 12, 2018, 04:43:29 PM
Reply #5010

Bluedylan

Hard to criticise Southgate but he seemed very reluctant to change things when they weren’t going well.

I actually thought this tournament backed him up and proved that none of our subs were good enough to change/improve things. Can't recall one sub coming on and adding something in pretty much any of the games. Rashford was awful (even though overall I do rate him), Dier was poor, Vardy didn't get too many touches.

Rose was pretty much the only one to add anything, and probably should've been in the first team on balance.

I think if anything, it exposed the lack of a clever creative player in the squad, even though we don't have too many good ones to pick from. I would've taken Lallana myself, but even Wilshere or Shelvey at a push, just to be able to pass the ball in the middle and retain possession in certain games.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 12, 2018, 05:01:24 PM
Reply #5011

blue slug

spot on there BD

July 12, 2018, 05:23:38 PM
Reply #5012

Bluedylan

Also Modric and Vrsaljko can fuck off with their snarky comments. Will be humming La Marseillaise loudly on Sunday.

July 12, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
Reply #5013

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Serious question as I cant remember
In 1990 did we play a 3rd place playoff?
Simply simply lovely

July 12, 2018, 05:27:34 PM
Reply #5014

Bluedylan

I don't remember it either, but a lad in work just said we lost to Italy apparently.

July 12, 2018, 05:27:46 PM
Reply #5015

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I actually thought this tournament backed him up and proved that none of our subs were good enough to change/improve things. Can't recall one sub coming on and adding something in pretty much any of the games. Rashford was awful (even though overall I do rate him), Dier was poor, Vardy didn't get too many touches.

Rose was pretty much the only one to add anything, and probably should've been in the first team on balance.

I think if anything, it exposed the lack of a clever creative player in the squad, even though we don't have too many good ones to pick from. I would've taken Lallana myself, but even Wilshere or Shelvey at a push, just to be able to pass the ball in the middle and retain possession in certain games.
Think he got the Sterling sub wrong last night, whilst his end product is poor he gets the defence turned and no one else can do that
Id have been tempted to throw Loftus Cheek on for Alli but the rest of your post I agree with
Simply simply lovely

July 12, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
Reply #5016

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I don't remember it either, but a lad in work just said we lost to Italy apparently.
Ah right, sound!
Simply simply lovely

July 12, 2018, 05:36:04 PM
Reply #5017

velimski

Yeah I all recall Dave Beasant playing in goal.

July 12, 2018, 05:37:51 PM
Reply #5018

Toffee1

Baggio and Schilachi (apologies for spelling) for Italy and Platt for us in a 2-1 win for Italy.

July 12, 2018, 05:49:55 PM
Reply #5019

Macca77

Baggio and Schilachi (apologies for spelling) for Italy and Platt for us in a 2-1 win for Italy.

Yep, its was basically a friendly game, Lineker said afterwards that none of the England players wanted to play, the Italy players where the same.

I don't see the point of it at all

July 12, 2018, 05:51:09 PM
Reply #5020

Ramjam

Yep, its was basically a friendly game, Lineker said afterwards that none of the England players wanted to play, the Italy players where the same.

It's just another FIFA money making machine
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 12, 2018, 05:52:53 PM
Reply #5021

blue slug

Most pointless game you can play in football, I have never watched third place playoff game and wont be watching this one either

July 12, 2018, 06:07:48 PM
Reply #5022

Toffee1

I think they have scrapped it from the European tournament, so as @Ramjam and a few others have posted it is purely to make even more money for Fifa.

I won't be watching and will catch as much as possible of the one day international from Lords as well as keeping an eye on the Ladies final at Wimbledon.

July 12, 2018, 06:26:10 PM
Reply #5023

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Think it’s a chance for the players to go out on a high, a win would show we can do it against the best teams (albeit Belgium will probably be second string) and wouldn’t surprise me if Southgate takes it seriously.

July 12, 2018, 06:36:04 PM
Reply #5024

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Agree with that.

I'm talking more about changing the system.

Seemed obvious we were getting over-run in the midfield last night. Instead of asking Lingard to drop in making a three, he kept it as it was and we couldn't get control of the game.

Even the subs he made were just like for like and had no impact. For me he should've put Dier alongside Henderson and gone to a more 3-5-2, or 5-4-1.

Regardless he's done a great job and should take this team forward. I said prior to the tournament we should do with southgate what the germans did with Lowe