October 22, 2019, 05:18:28 AM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 103290 times)

July 07, 2018, 02:21:05 PM
Read 103290 times

van der Meyde

Again the psychological difference of dominating possession, where you’re expected to score as you have the ball (do something!!!), as opposed to counter attacks where you look like you might do something if you can get on the turn in midfield.

Plus you’re more likely to have the space to take better shots on the counter.

And at the end of the day if the ball hits Tiago Silva and goes in and/ or the ball goes over the bar off Fernandinho’s shoulder then a different game.

One of Roberto’s more accurate phrases of “fine margins”... :)
It's also much easier to defend - or at least make chances more difficult by get players between the ball and the goal - when you're ahead from the 13th minute.

It's hard to think of many of Brazil's chances last night as big misses.

July 12, 2018, 08:24:37 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Yeah, just a difference of opinion but I just don't see it. I saw a number of neutral pundits saying they saw England edging this one, based on football reasons and fitness. I think it was an entirely reasonable to think England would win, on balance.
It's also incredibly easy to both pick a few isolated moments of English arrogance from the vast number of English media outlets and to understand it, given the prevalence of English speakers/readers around the world.

This is an interesting counter showing how, just maybe, it's not really an isolated thing for the English: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-unbelievably-inferior-croatia-press-world-cup-semi-final