November 15, 2019, 03:34:10 PM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 106399 times)

July 15, 2018, 02:43:39 AM
Reply #5115

KoemansNumberTens

I kind of donít get you at all yno.

We performed in much the same way as we always do. Of course it was fun getting to the semi. Of course it was nice to dream. The reality is though we didnít play particularly well and we didnít beat any good teams.
We barely created anything from open play. Lost 3 of the 7 games.
We didnít even have the unlucky exit like we had in 90 and 96. We were comfortably beaten by a Croatian side taken to penalties by Russia and Denmark.

It was okay. It was what it always is. There wasnít some fantastic progress people are pretending. We got further cos we faced more second rate teams

July 15, 2018, 02:48:25 AM
Reply #5116

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Bore off. You boring man.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

July 15, 2018, 02:53:41 AM
Reply #5117

KoemansNumberTens

Bore off. You boring man.

People are allowed to have a different opinion without you insulting them. Even a negative 1

You arenít some sort of footballing expert and while I only speak for me I donít find you particularly riveting either

July 15, 2018, 02:59:37 AM
Reply #5118

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We performed in much the same way as we always do. Of course it was fun getting to the semi. Of course it was nice to dream. The reality is though we didnít play particularly well and we didnít beat any good teams.
We didnít even have the unlucky exit like we had in 90 and 96. We were comfortably beaten by a Croatian side taken to penalties by Russia and Denmark.

It was okay. It was what it always is. There wasnít some fantastic progress people are pretending. We got further cos we faced more second rate teams

Two years ago we lost to Iceland in the last 16 of the euros.

Weíve made huge progress since then. To reach a semi final with such an inexperienced group of players, and manager, is a very good achievement.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 15, 2018, 03:03:09 AM
Reply #5119

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

I meant in general.

The progress of the squad I think youíre selling a little short, but I get that they technically achieved nothing in the end.

Iím not usually one in using the shitness of others as a barometer of success, but some pretty top sides with huge pedigree were beaten by some with literally no pedigree, so the fact we didnít bomb out at group/second round is in context a big positive that youíre overlooking, in my opinion.

I get we didnít play the huge sides, but thatís the way footy works, and most of them had been knocked out by a bunch of part-timers anyway.

July 15, 2018, 03:06:49 AM
Reply #5120

KoemansNumberTens

Two years ago we lost to Iceland in the last 16 of the euros.

Weíve made huge progress since then. To reach a semi final with such an inexperienced group of players, and manager, is a very good achievement.

Well obviously itís better than losing to Iceland which was a new low. Iím not sure going forward we are any more likely to win 1 of these than we were 2 years ago or really at any time in my life

We were competent. We werenít embarrassed. We beat some okay teams. Won a shoot out and actually took some great penalties doing it

It was fun while it lasted but ultimately it was false hope. We werenít unlucky. We played 3 good teams and were deserved loses at least twice (I didnít see England reserves vs Belgium reserves)
I donít think itís been much better or worse than a lot of our previous efforts.

July 15, 2018, 03:13:06 AM
Reply #5121

KoemansNumberTens

I meant in general.

The progress of the squad I think youíre selling a little short, but I get that they technically achieved nothing in the end.

Iím not usually one in using the shitness of others as a barometer of success, but some pretty top sides with huge pedigree were beaten by some with literally no pedigree, so the fact we didnít bomb out at group/second round is in context a big positive that youíre overlooking, in my opinion.

I get we didnít play the huge sides, but thatís the way footy works, and most of them had been knocked out by a bunch of part-timers anyway.

Can only beat whatís in front of you is totally true. 3 times out of 7 we didnít though and a 4th time it took penalties.

Iím looking at it more going forward. Of course we did better than Spain and Germany but do any of us really believe weíll be in better shape than either of them come the next Euros

The positives were individuals Pickford McGuire and trippier. I think in terms of performances it was much the same as weíve always known it.

July 15, 2018, 03:38:34 AM
Reply #5122

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
People are allowed to have a different opinion without you insulting them. Even a negative 1

You arenít some sort of footballing expert and while I only speak for me I donít find you particularly riveting either

Well thanks.

Never said you canít have your opinions but itís constant from you.

Never mind anyway, probably shouldnít have replied, just on a downer. Enjoy your evening.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

July 15, 2018, 03:41:40 AM
Reply #5123

KoemansNumberTens

Well thanks.

Never said you canít have your opinions but itís constant from you.

Never mind anyway, probably shouldnít have replied, just on a downer. Enjoy your evening.

You too. I know Iím a miserable cunt on a vast number of issues. Genuinely donít mean to annoy folk though. Hope you feel better soon

July 15, 2018, 03:45:58 AM
Reply #5124

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
You too. I know Iím a miserable cunt on a vast number of issues. Genuinely donít mean to annoy folk though. Hope you feel better soon

Thanks a lot x

Vamos lŠ Everton!

July 15, 2018, 03:51:50 AM
Reply #5125

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Can only beat whatís in front of you is totally true. 3 times out of 7 we didnít though and a 4th time it took penalties.

Iím looking at it more going forward. Of course we did better than Spain and Germany but do any of us really believe weíll be in better shape than either of them come the next Euros

The positives were individuals Pickford McGuire and trippier. I think in terms of performances it was much the same as weíve always known it.

Canít argue with any of that. Though I feel a bit meh about McGuire. Everyone loves him so I guess Iím on my own in that one.

July 15, 2018, 03:54:25 AM
Reply #5126

velimski

I don’t think it’s been much better or worse than a lot of our previous efforts.

When you compare it to shite served up over the last 20 years by Hodgson, Capello, Ericsson and Keegan who all had more talented players at their disposal i think it's fair to say this year was significantly better.

For the first time since probably 1998 or 96 the players actually looked like they a) gave a shit, and b) were playing to a game plan and to their strengths.

For anyone under the age of 30, this is probably the most excited they have ever been about England, and with good reason.

July 15, 2018, 03:58:01 AM
Reply #5127

KoemansNumberTens

When you compare it to shite served up over the last 20 years by Hodgson, Capello, Ericsson and Keegan who all had more talented players at their disposal i think it's fair to say this year was significantly better.

For the first time since probably 1998 or 96 the players actually looked like they a) gave a shit, and b) were playing to a game plan and to their strengths.

For anyone under the age of 30, this is probably the most excited they have ever been about England, and with good reason.

We did lose to a great Brazil team under Sven. Looked promising with a young rooney in a euros til he got injured.

I think if weíd ended with an unlucky defeat Iíd be much more upbeat about it. We were comfortably dealt with by Croatia and Belgium though

July 15, 2018, 04:08:08 AM
Reply #5128

velimski

We did lose to a great Brazil team under Sven. Looked promising with a young rooney in a euros til he got injured.

I think if weíd ended with an unlucky defeat Iíd be much more upbeat about it. We were comfortably dealt with by Croatia and Belgium though

Yes, in 2004 it looked like we might do something until Rooney got injured, i'll give you that. But with the players Ericsson had I think it's fair to say the team still massively underperformed, whereas most would agree that the current squad have overachieved. Nobody gave them a chance of getting this far before the tournament started.

Regardless of how Croatia dealt with England (they've got a lot players who walk into the England side, so let's not pretend they're some kind of minnows), getting to the semi final of the world cup for the first time in 28 years with such a young and pretty average squad is good enough for most people.

Today's game against Belgium was totally irrelevant really, but again look at their squad compared to England's and it's hardly a surprise that we lost.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:19:05 AM by velimski »

July 15, 2018, 04:14:53 AM
Reply #5129

KoemansNumberTens

Yes, in 2004 it looked like we might do something until Rooney got injured, i'll give you that. But with the players Ericsson had I think it's fair to say the team still massively underperformed, whereas most would agree that the current squad have overachieved. Nobody gave them a chance of getting this far before the tournament started.

Regardless of how Croatia dealt with England (they've got a lot players who walk into the England side, so let's not pretend they're some kind of minnows), getting to the semi final of the world cup for the first time in 28 years with such a young and pretty average squad is good enough for most people.

It is good enough on the face of it. I'm just not sure we saw anything that suggests a brighter future

As for croatia. They aren't really that good. 2 world class midfielders and 1 very good winger. They haven't got much else have they? Player for player our squad is more highly rated than theirs. Maybe that's our problem we are just over rating them. Maybe rather than compare us to dominate teams we need to accept we are always going to be underdogs and a second tier side and enjoy when we battle to relative success