November 18, 2018, 04:14:16 PM

Author Topic: Steven N'Zonzi  (Read 14182 times)

December 29, 2017, 03:28:07 PM
Read 14182 times

van der Meyde

Good player but not thrilled about £25m on a 29 year old personally.
Urgh. Having seen the struggles we've had with Howard and Distin start to repeat with Baines, Jagielka and Williams, I'd hoped the club would have be looking a bit more long term.

Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Gueye, Schneiderlin and Nzonzi will all be 30+ and past their peak in two years. Having multiple midfield players all 30+ and difficult to shift on big contracts doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

December 29, 2017, 04:17:43 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

You need a mix of experience and youth, Gateth Barry had a great season last year aged 36 1/2, Lampard
played well into his mid thirties, Vincent Company at 31 plus the players you name will be just thirty in two years time, your hugely talented 23 year olds won’t stay with us beyond a couple of years if they are that good and we are not playing in CL, we need experienced players to get us near to qualifying.
Don't buy this argument at all personally. If the players we have were good enough to get us to qualify for the CL then would they be playing for Everton at 28?

December 29, 2017, 04:36:47 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

Buying the 26 year old version costs you more money and you've got greater competition for.  Buying a 29 year old to play for a couple of years whilst our youngsters we've been stockpiling and developing continue to grow and develop isn't the worst strategy. 
I guess buying the 23 or 24 year old version and then selling them on for a big profit is just too much hard work eh.

Better off taking the risk that our 20 year olds will develop while their gametime is restricted by the 30 year olds. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:37:49 PM by van der Meyde »

December 29, 2017, 09:58:21 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

I don't think the consequences of having plenty of older players on long term contracts are being fully appreciated here.

Let's use the richest club in the league as an example of why having lots of older players in the same position is a problem.

Full back was a bit of a problem position for them. They had Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy and Kolarov all on massive contracts until this summer. All decent players, all broadly good enough to play in the Premier League. None of them good enough for where they wanted to be.

Now why didn't City replace them earlier? Well, even for City it was financially difficult to do that. The players were on massive contracts, they weren't going to go to another club to earn less.

If ages and wages are a problem for Manchester City, as they were for Chelsea too, they're going to be a problem for Everton. When people say that there's nothing stopping us going out and buying younger players too, well I'm afraid there is. There are squad size and wage bill restrictions. As we build our first 11 and squad, we'll have more pressing positions - we already have them at left back, up front and on the wing. We're not going to buy those younger defensive mids because it won't be the most pressing position.

If we sell one of Gueye or Schneiderlin, then you can make an argument for bringing in Nzonzi, sure. If we don't though, with the wages they'll be on, they'll be here until they're 32, 33+. I don't underestimate the value of having experienced players, but - Nzonzi aside maybe - it's already fairly well established that the players we have aren't actually good enough for the level we aspire to.

We want to break into the Champions League places. If our older players aren't good enough for that level at 28 - and generally they aren't - they're not going to be good enough when they're 32.