November 19, 2018, 11:53:55 AM

Author Topic: Steven N'Zonzi  (Read 14202 times)

December 29, 2017, 04:32:55 PM
Read 14202 times

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Urgh. Having seen the struggles we've had with Howard and Distin start to repeat with Baines, Jagielka and Williams, I'd hoped the club would have be looking a bit more long term.

Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Gueye, Schneiderlin and Nzonzi will all be 30+ and past their peak in two years. Having multiple midfield players all 30+ and difficult to shift on big contracts doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

Buying the 26 year old version costs you more money and you've got greater competition for.  Buying a 29 year old to play for a couple of years whilst our youngsters we've been stockpiling and developing continue to grow and develop isn't the worst strategy. 
My momma says I'm special.

December 29, 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Reply #1

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I guess buying the 23 or 24 year old version and then selling them on for a big profit is just too much hard work eh.

Better off taking the risk that our 20 year olds will develop while their gametime is restricted by the 30 year olds. :)

But the 23/24 year old version still needs to develop.  Still needs to learn.  We need someone ready to go.  We're hopefully past the need to 'buy young, sell soon' model for now.

December 29, 2017, 07:47:31 PM
Reply #2

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Obviously I'm not talking about Spurs 20 years ago, as you well know. I'm talking about them in the last few years.

Players signed that are well before their peak, who will improve and grow massively in value. Lloris (12m), Dembele (15m), Vertonghen (10m), Eriksen (11m), Alli (5m), Dier (4m), Alderweireld (11.5m), Trippier (3.5m), Wanyama (11m), Walker (3m), Rose (1m).

None of those players were at big clubs that would be out of our reach. Obviously prices have inflated so we're not going to be getting anyone for 1m but that model has worked and, along with exceptional management and coaching, has transformed that club from an also ran to a team that can get 86 points in a Prem season.

Its nothing groundbreaking though.  Its the same as we've done with Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Coleman, Stones, Lukaku, Arteta, Cahill, etc who all were bought and saw their values rise exponentially whilst with us - some we sold, some we kept too long and lost the value on.  And for every one you've listed above there will be 2 that haven't worked out, the same as we've had.  You've got your Lamela's, Soldado's, N'Jie's, Townsend's, Yedlin's, Paulinho's, Lewis Holtby's, etc.

In Pickford, Holgate, Keane, Gueye, Lookman, DCL, we've got young players bought before their prime who's value we hope will continue to rise.