October 22, 2018, 12:26:47 AM

Author Topic: Steven N'Zonzi  (Read 13661 times)

December 04, 2017, 06:01:35 AM
Read 13661 times

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Likely going to a CL Club I think. But him or Carvalho would be warmly received.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 06, 2017, 02:15:51 PM
Reply #1

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Imagine if we could get a few little mercs in...n’zonzi and aubaumayang ok mega money yeeeees terrible planning but I’d have it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 07, 2017, 01:27:27 AM
Reply #2

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The more I think about this, the less I like the idea. What is a Schneiderlin upgrade going to do for us? Playing with a positionally conservative defensive midfielder forces Gana into a box-to-box role, which he plainly isn't good at.

We'd be much better served adding someone who contributes something in attack -- preferably passing -- and sticking with Gana at the base of the midfield (provided that he continues to stay in position like he did on Saturday).

I'm a definite N'Zonzi fan, I just don't see how he helps us right now.

Badly lacking control in the middle.

Lacking ability to break teams down is a symptom of a disfunctional midfield rather than poor attacking players. A Barkley replacement for Gana would be great...but would be easier to stomach if we had a more solid base to work off.

At the moment if you take Gana out the side we’d get overrun I think.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:46:34 AM by brap2 »

December 17, 2017, 05:57:10 PM
Reply #3

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Echo saying the same

December 18, 2017, 04:08:12 PM
Reply #4

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sam has said we have a 32 man first team squad which is way too big. Nothing to worry about there; just the newspapers trying to drum-up worry.

Even the echo?

December 29, 2017, 12:09:34 AM
Reply #5

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gana N’zonzi Serri

December 29, 2017, 02:10:02 AM
Reply #6

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
£50m??

December 29, 2017, 02:13:02 PM
Reply #7

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think this would be a good signing.

Good player but not at all what we need in midfield. I'll also trot out one of my greatest hits and say that he's too old to be worth spending anything significant on.

Can absolutely see where you’re coming from, but anything that removes Schneiderlin and gets a quality DM in the side ASAP is a good use of money, plus 25m euros ain’t that much.

He’s a good passing DM and a defensive-minded regista kind of player, not defence splitting passes but just pass pass pass, keep the ball and dictate. Basically what Schneiderlin should be doing.

However, it does raise that question of what the hell are we going to do with Gueye / the other midfield position...

Think rooney has made a really good case for being the 8, his quality on the ball has been evident and he’s even getting amongst the Goals (could do with more none pen Goals if possible).

Gueye better as a ball winner, but we seem intent on pushing him up (imo so he can win the ball further up the field and we can use his energy).

Hopefully Gueye / N’Zonzi is a better fit than what we have, but I can’t shake the feeling it’s going to be quite similar, and that his transfer has a SLIGHT air of Alex Song at West Ham about it..

December 29, 2017, 03:22:16 PM
Reply #8

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
4-3-3.

Pickford
Coleman  Holgate Keane  Baines
           N’Zonzi Gana Rooney
 Bolasie         Tusan      Sigurdsson

Yeah probably, N’Zonzi did used to do that job as a younger man I think but I would think N’zonzi deepest midfielder Gueye pushing up.

Or

4-2-3-1

N’zonzi Gueye

Bolassie Rooney Sig

Tosun

I’m still really pissed off it hasn’t worked out for Klaassen. Should have been a good box to box fella.

December 29, 2017, 10:36:00 PM
Reply #9

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I know a lot of people don't like them but Spurs has to be the sustainable blueprint for how we want to break into the top 6.

We're never going to be able to outspend the rich clubs, so we have to find another way and aside from Leicester's freak season, Spurs have provided the only obvious alternative way to do it.

Yes Kane is a big part of that but even with him, there was nothing in his early career to suggest he was going to become the monster he's become so it's hard not to conclude that the manager is a massive part of his development.

In the main they have invested in talent in the 20-24 bracket, got a very good manager to work with them and improve them and grown the side into greater than the sum of their parts through good scouting, good recruitment and brilliant coaching.

Nzonzi is a good player but he's unlikely to improve at 29 and it's probable that he will decline a bit, and then 2/3 seasons later you probably have to replace him.

RBLeipzig are another team who do what Spurs have done. Identify the best young talents before they become big, and get them before they become £50m players.

Surely that has to be the way for us.

We are trying this I think, but with the odd outlier, as the shite and spurs do also.

December 29, 2017, 11:28:49 PM
Reply #10

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We are trying this I think, but with the odd outlier, as the shite and spurs do also.

Also we are worse at identifying players than those teams so our results have been poor.

Have a look at @reverse_ball on twitter, good insight on transfers from Liverpool perspective. Picking up proven sub/peak talent from top leagues (firmino, Mane, Salah) before that some major youth success (coutinho, Sterling, sturridge)

They have also has a strategy of non top league talent which looks a bit more like us atm (Lookman, Adeniran, Henry, Tosun) during which time they got assaidi, boring, Asos’s, markovic, origi...so you can see what we’re doing is probably even more risky, given Liverpool’s general successful transfers.

When you buy ‘risks’ at Sub peak ages from non top 5 leagues they are just more than likely going to die on their arse.

When you spend big on attacking talent and supplement with intelligent purchases you reap rewards.

We’re quite bad at both.

December 30, 2017, 12:04:12 AM
Reply #11

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes I’d say it’s the players we’ve bought rather than the type.

I don’t think we’d get Firmino, Salah, Mane (the same way they didn’t get Willian, Sanchez etc).

If we’re moving down a level from that type of player we’re signing either worse players from those league or players from worse leagues which are more risky.

But we’ve signed a good number of players 24 and under.

Yeah I thought that while writing tbh.

I suppose the Adeniran’s and Lookmans of this world could be seen as the Sterling’s and Delle Alli’s.

Guess it comes down to what you say, we can’t buy those players that have proven themselves and more often than not we won’t get the undiscovered talent without superior scouting or superior wage offerings and we generally won’t have either.

The expensive gambles we take - N’Zonzi, Sigurdsson, Tosun - must be a case of, well we’re not going to get the ones we want, and we have a pressing need for a player. Sigurdsson arguably the best playmaker outside the top 6 that we could feasibly get, N’Zonzi the manager’s fancy, and Tosun is maybe walshy’s work in an unfancied League.

I know what bluedylan is saying and I do agree with the constant criticisms of evertons scouting within the data community, but I can’t help but hope for the best.

December 30, 2017, 01:17:13 AM
Reply #12

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
So if better recruitment isn't the answer what is, because we won't have the money to compete, and we don't have a manager who is a tactical genius or a coaching genius?

7th ever more.

I try not to think about it because I end up coming back to - what’s the fucking point

December 30, 2017, 05:42:26 PM
Reply #13

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Don't count on it.

It's almost impossible in non North American sports. There's no relegation in North American sports. It's a completely different landscape on how you build your teams. There's also salary caps over here.

And by the way. The Oakland A's haven't won anything of significance in over 20 years.

The gains in football from what I can see are in set pieces and recruitment.

I’d actually be fairly confident with sam hat if you got the guy in who worked with midjlland and said - he reckons he can get you 5 more Goals a year from set pieces, sam would be receptive.

It’s the recruitment bit that worries me because we have a set up that we’d have to tear down and start again, and I think we’re still held back by the scouts and agents and managers and directors who alll want to put their oar in, rather than a clear directive and data driven identification of talents.