October 21, 2018, 08:55:15 AM

Author Topic: Left Back - Do we buy one in January?  (Read 7412 times)

December 18, 2017, 12:07:08 AM
Reply #15

BlueForYou

Go all out for Sessegnon
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

December 18, 2017, 12:09:26 AM
Reply #16

Thomas

Go all out for Sessegnon

I'd like Marcelo, the world's best, but that is not happening.

Is there anyone at the top 4 clubs who isnt getting game time we could snip? (Not Luke Shaw)

December 18, 2017, 12:12:13 AM
Reply #17

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I've always thought I'd be happy with Tierney.
However we all know how poor the Scottish league is. I keep tabs on Hearts and I"ve been up to watch them recently as my mates brother plays for them, and it's it's noticeable how poor the quality is (compared to the PL), I'd say it's barely championship level, yet Hearts just spanked Celtic 4-0 today, with Tierney in the squad (who had a shocker by all accounts and was subbed after the 1st half).

At least Chilwell has PL experience.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 18, 2017, 12:14:08 AM
Reply #18

BlueForYou

Sessegnon could be tempted with the ever growing crop of young players at our club and he would displace Baines immediately, so straight into the first team

£25m?

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

December 18, 2017, 12:15:42 AM
Reply #19

Thomas

I've always thought I'd be happy with Tierney.
However we all know how poor the Scottish league is. I keep tabs on Hearts and I"ve been up to watch them recently as my mates brother plays for them, and it's it's noticeable how poor the quality is (compared to the PL), I'd say it's barely championship level, yet Hearts just spanked Celtic 4-0 today, with Tierney in the squad (who had a shocker by all accounts and was subbed after the 1st half).

At least Chilwell has PL experience.

To be fair to you lad I should of said this earlier, because we (Celtic - as you know i have season tickets for both) had a complete meltdown today een with him playing but as the Cally McGregor interview says, all young players have and tbh need a dip to improve. Celtic haven't been playing well recently especially in defence but thats more to do with the CBs and BRs pass it out from the back philosophy making us look shit in Europe and away from home.

December 18, 2017, 12:16:23 AM
Reply #20

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Sessegnon could be tempted with the ever growing crop of young players at our club and he would displace Baines immediately, so straight into the first team

£25m?

In this day n age you might have to double that.

December 18, 2017, 12:18:04 AM
Reply #21

Gash

Global Moderator
TBF @Gash I've openly said I'm amazed considering the signing on fee, wages and agents cut that KT is basically rebuffing that he is prepared to follow through with his statement that he wants to stay at Celtic as a one club man like McStay.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15637436.Kieran_Tierney__I_hope_I_go_on_to_become_a_one_club_legend_at_Celtic_like_Billy_McNeill_and_Paul_McStay/

He was saying all the right things as players do just after signing his contract but that BBC interview has a slightly different tone to it. He said he's living his dream at the moment and not thinking about other clubs but this is football so you never know what will happen which is a bit different from saying he wants to be a Paul McStay. It's all a bit romantic to think that a player of his quality will spend his whole career at Celtic playing in a poor league although if that's the height of his ambition he maybe deserves to stay there.

December 18, 2017, 12:19:36 AM
Reply #22

BlueBeagle

Celtic is a big club around the world,

Honestly, it ain't.

The only people who think that are Celtic fans.

December 18, 2017, 12:20:55 AM
Reply #23

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair to you lad I should of said this earlier, because we (Celtic - as you know i have season tickets for both) had a complete meltdown today een with him playing but as the Cally McGregor interview says, all young players have and tbh need a dip to improve. Celtic haven't been playing well recently especially in defence but thats more to do with the CBs and BRs pass it out from the back philosophy making us look shit in Europe and away from home.

Ye, I mean today's result was a 1 off, but I think it outlines my concern with Tierney, its the only niggle of concern that I have with him, that he doesn't have PL experience and we don't really know how good he is, so that puts Chilwell slightly ahead for me. I doubt Leicester would sell anyway.

December 18, 2017, 12:22:48 AM
Reply #24

Thomas

Honestly, it ain't.

The only people who think that are Celtic fans.

Go and have a look at what Guardiola, Messi, Stones and Hart tell you about playing there or ex players who will admit when they went there they didnt think much of the size of the club but when they left they 'got it'.

They have probably just as big a fanbase as Everton, play at a higher European Level and whatever you think of Scotland, win cups. Also try getting an away ticket for a Celtic match, its fucking solid. Everton is way easier.

December 18, 2017, 12:26:43 AM
Reply #25

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Prefer cresswell over Chilwell, think Chilwell may possibly be shite, but doubt weíll get either.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 18, 2017, 12:27:21 AM
Reply #26

Gash

Global Moderator
Go and have a look at what Guardiola, Messi, Stones and Hart tell you about playing there or ex players who will admit when they went there they didnt think much of the size of the club but when they left they 'got it'.

They have probably just as big a fanbase as Everton, play at a higher European Level and whatever you think of Scotland, win cups. Also try getting an away ticket for a Celtic match, its fucking solid. Everton is way easier.

Having a decent atmosphere doesn't make a club big. Celtic are big in Scotland and Ireland other than that they're not a big club and haven't been for a long time, the exact same goes for Rangers. As for winning cups, it's pretty hard to finish second in a one horse race and even with Rangers doing well, the odds are still pretty good in a two horse race.

Anyway, this is an Everton forum so lets talk about Everton and their left backs rather than make it into a "Celtic's better than Everton" thread.

December 18, 2017, 12:32:13 AM
Reply #27

Simon Paul

Administrator
Luke Shaw is being put in the shop window at the moment isn't he?

Tierney had an absolute stinker today though.  When Kyle Lafferty runs you ragged then it's time to drop down to the youth team again and gain some confidence.

December 18, 2017, 12:33:10 AM
Reply #28

kramer0

Philipp Max is an interesting one. On current form, he looks like the best creative LB in the top 5 leagues -- 2.9 key passes per 90 with 9 assists to show for it (not that it's necessarily a fair comparison, but Baines' best individual season totals were 3.1 key passes per 90 and 11 assists). It's unlikely that Augsburg would be able to resist a serious offer, especially given that they have only an outside chance of CL qualification.

Concerns are that the likes of United, City, and Chelsea are being linked (we can't compete if they're serious) and that he hasn't shown this level of performance before in his career. Also, as with most defenders we're linked with, I have no idea if he can actually defend.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:34:41 AM by kramer0 »

December 18, 2017, 12:45:12 AM
Reply #29

Cereal Killer

I have no idea if he can actually defend.

Doesn't seem to be a priority or even that important for full backs these days!!