November 21, 2018, 12:38:35 AM

Author Topic: Left Back - Do we buy one in January?  (Read 7749 times)

December 17, 2017, 10:49:39 PM
Read 7749 times

Thomas

Allardyce seems happy with Martina. However we all know as fans Baines needs a young pretender. We could wait to see what is at the world cup in Russia but I'm not sure.

As everyone on this forum knows I'd pay a kings ransom for KT at Celtic who I have talked about for 18months + and BBC Football Focus started raving about when interviewing him last week, but he has been unequivocal that at this point over the next few years he has zero interest in leaving his boyhood club, even when propositioned with moves to Arsenal. I think he wants to lift 10 in a row as captain and leave then.

t=1s

Anyway then you look at Chilwell at Leicester who is fairly similar to KT but I cant see them letting him leave with such a settled side?

December 17, 2017, 11:04:35 PM
Reply #1

Thomas

Tierney will win a few more things with Celtic before going to Utd in a couple of years time.

And I’m not sure Chilwell would see us as a step-up from Leicester. They’ve got as much money as us, doubt we could bully them financially.

Agree on both pal, like I've said KT is a rarity in wanting to stay (Le Tissier/Gerrard gear) for as long as possible but realistically it will be 10 in a row, boots thrown into the crowd and clapped off.

December 18, 2017, 12:02:42 AM
Reply #2

Thomas

Good player but I'd question Tierney's ambition if he stays at Celtic for another 18 months never mind 4 years.

I don't think we'll go for one in January, more likely go with what we've got or perhaps give Garbutt a squad number and wait until the summer. With or without a left back we'll still finish in or around 8th.

TBF @Gash I've openly said I'm amazed considering the signing on fee, wages and agents cut that KT is basically rebuffing that he is prepared to follow through with his statement that he wants to stay at Celtic as a one club man like McStay.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15637436.Kieran_Tierney__I_hope_I_go_on_to_become_a_one_club_legend_at_Celtic_like_Billy_McNeill_and_Paul_McStay/

I feel age and experience and new challenges will slowly transform that platitude into a more realistic thing. So maybe when he is at his peak we can snip him then. He's also already captain material, and we need winners and captains in our team.

Short term i think giving Garbutt a squad number and buying someone from the world cup might be the right idea.

December 18, 2017, 12:04:34 AM
Reply #3

Thomas

What sort of pro worth his salt would want to stay at Celtic, boyhood club or not.

What a waste of a career that would be.

Celtic is a big club around the world, although with massive domestic and financial restrictions. A contradiction in terms sure, but once they get going in Europe most realistically in the EL or even the CL they still trump the appeal of Everton in my eyes factoring out the wages and better level of players.

December 18, 2017, 12:05:24 AM
Reply #4

Thomas

Playing devils advocate, purely because he is a Scouser and Sam had him at WHU

Cresswell?

December 18, 2017, 12:09:26 AM
Reply #5

Thomas

Go all out for Sessegnon

I'd like Marcelo, the world's best, but that is not happening.

Is there anyone at the top 4 clubs who isnt getting game time we could snip? (Not Luke Shaw)

December 18, 2017, 12:15:42 AM
Reply #6

Thomas

I've always thought I'd be happy with Tierney.
However we all know how poor the Scottish league is. I keep tabs on Hearts and I"ve been up to watch them recently as my mates brother plays for them, and it's it's noticeable how poor the quality is (compared to the PL), I'd say it's barely championship level, yet Hearts just spanked Celtic 4-0 today, with Tierney in the squad (who had a shocker by all accounts and was subbed after the 1st half).

At least Chilwell has PL experience.

To be fair to you lad I should of said this earlier, because we (Celtic - as you know i have season tickets for both) had a complete meltdown today een with him playing but as the Cally McGregor interview says, all young players have and tbh need a dip to improve. Celtic haven't been playing well recently especially in defence but thats more to do with the CBs and BRs pass it out from the back philosophy making us look shit in Europe and away from home.

December 18, 2017, 12:22:48 AM
Reply #7

Thomas

Honestly, it ain't.

The only people who think that are Celtic fans.

Go and have a look at what Guardiola, Messi, Stones and Hart tell you about playing there or ex players who will admit when they went there they didnt think much of the size of the club but when they left they 'got it'.

They have probably just as big a fanbase as Everton, play at a higher European Level and whatever you think of Scotland, win cups. Also try getting an away ticket for a Celtic match, its fucking solid. Everton is way easier.

December 21, 2017, 05:54:45 AM
Reply #8

Thomas

December 21, 2017, 06:06:05 AM
Reply #9

Thomas

December 21, 2017, 06:14:04 AM
Reply #10

Thomas

I saw Leighton Baines on a Wigan highlights reel on Facebook the other day for some premiership page. He looked so young back then *sniff*

January 01, 2018, 04:55:01 AM
Reply #11

Thomas

Against the team bottom of the SPL though
Voted best LB in CL Groups though.

January 01, 2018, 05:07:15 AM
Reply #12

Thomas

Is that even a thing?
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2526639.html#/

"Defender: Kieran Tierney (Celtic), 20
At 20, Tierney has already played over 100 matches for Celtic and captained Scotland. Rated the best British-born left-back of his generation, the youngster's assist for Leigh Griffiths' goal in the 3-0 win at Anderlecht was Tierney at his swashbuckling best."

Breakthrough team 2017

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:08:17 AM by Thomas »

January 01, 2018, 05:21:18 AM
Reply #13

Thomas

Fair play.

He was voted the best U24 left back making his Champions League debut in 2017 then.

I thought the lad from Porto would get it, but considering who he is up against and the league he regularly plays in, a good start. He was so so vs The Hun though.