April 22, 2018, 08:03:21 AM

Author Topic: January Clear Out  (Read 3252 times)

December 19, 2017, 09:01:47 PM
Reply #15

velimski

Niasse can stay put until we bring in an upgrade.

December 19, 2017, 09:02:15 PM
Reply #16

Macca77

Yep, let's rid ourselves of our second top scorer who's got by far the best mins to goals ratio in the squad

Just the one bite, how very disapointing

December 19, 2017, 09:04:34 PM
Reply #17

Gary1878

I still think Sandro and Klaasen need more time to be judged, especially Klaasen. Once he gets up to speed with the Premier League, he might become a seriously good player.

We still need Jags without a doubt.

The rest are very expendable.

December 19, 2017, 09:10:39 PM
Reply #18

D15TIN

Jagielka might want to go anyway as he won't be playing much now

Mirallas
Klaasen
id personally sell schneiderlin if we can replace
Besic
Stekelenburg (although we need a 2nd keeper and robles is leaving in the summer)
Sandro
Mccarthy - unless he starts taking his career seriously

December 19, 2017, 09:49:09 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

We can comfortably unload Besic and Mirallas, provided there are buyers.

We can afford to get rid of McCarthy too but (1) who's buying a player who hasn't been fit for the better part of two years?, and (2) I have a feeling that Allardyce will want a closer look (pending a return to fitness).

W/r/t Klaassen -- I think there are things he does well (movement off-the-ball, one-touch passing, finishing) but his approach is a little too passive. We seem to function best as a team when our more progressive midfielders are eager to get on the ball and drive us forward. Klaassen doesn't appear to fit that mold. Allardyce and Walsh have to make the call as to whether he's a long-term fit. My guess is probably not.

I'd prefer not to let Sandro go unless he's dead set on going back to Spain. I think he'll have opportunities in the second half of the season and it's worth giving him a chance to show what he can do. As sort of an aside -- was anyone else irritated last night when Lookman decided to have a wild shot instead of passing to Sandro, who had pulled wide to find space in the box? The game was settled but I still found it annoying. We'll never know if Sandro is any good unless we start getting him the ball in the right areas.

I'd only sell Schneiderlin if a good offer comes in. I think he'd look much better as a lone DM, where his only jobs are to mop up in front of the CBs and lay the ball off to simply to his teammates (with the odd switch of play thrown in). Gana has earned that DM role for now but suspensions and injuries are hard to predict so there's no harm in having solid cover. With that said, if someone makes a serious offer we'd be silly to turn it down.

Who knows what's happening with Barkley? He's an intriguing fit for one of the CM roles in a 4-1-4-1 (which seems to be our best approach) but there's so much uncertainty around his situation. I don't think there's any harm in keeping him around until the end of the season and trying to convince him to sign, provided we think he's a fit. I wouldn't be surprised if the board prefers to sell, though.

I wouldn't consider selling anyone else unless a genuine offer comes in for one of the backup goalkeepers (which is very, very unlikely).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:24:57 PM by kramer0 »

December 19, 2017, 10:18:33 PM
Reply #20

Fynci

We shot ourselves in the foot by getting rid of Barry, we would be doing the same if we got rid of Jags.

I'd sell Besic, McCarthy, Mirallas and Barkley, and likely loan out Sandro (he'll go eventually I'm sure).
Cool + 380
Tool - 0

December 19, 2017, 10:31:46 PM
Reply #21

Alanvideo

Wonder if any of our shop-soiled players are on Moyes's shopping list ?
We are special ,we are Everton.

December 19, 2017, 10:44:35 PM
Reply #22

Macca77

Wonder if any of our shop-soiled players are on Moyes's shopping list ?

Mirallas deffo is, can see him going to West Ham for an undisclosed fee

December 19, 2017, 11:23:50 PM
Reply #23

chang

I'd rather keep Jags until he retires gracefully than "get rid of him", he has done much for Everton in the last 10 years, and is still  a very good player IMO.

December 19, 2017, 11:33:05 PM
Reply #24

Ross

Very easy saying “clear out ......” but there’s not many clubs capable of paying the sort of wages most of these players are on and the ones who can generally have players already on the books.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

December 20, 2017, 12:08:28 AM
Reply #25

van der Meyde

Very easy saying “clear out ......” but there’s not many clubs capable of paying the sort of wages most of these players are on and the ones who can generally have players already on the books.
Wonder how many players we can tempt Stoke and West Ham with. 👀

December 20, 2017, 12:25:09 AM
Reply #26

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Wonder how many players we can tempt Stoke and West Ham with.
Speaking of stoke, pulis is odds on to be next manager
Madness

Simply simply lovely

December 20, 2017, 12:31:12 AM
Reply #27

montanatoffeefan

Just the one bite, how very disapointing

LOL.
And it was more a nibble.

When I first read your post I was expecting a feeding frenzy...perhaps Niasse fatigue has set in.
Everton forever.

December 20, 2017, 12:45:23 AM
Reply #28

eyesalwaysblue

West Ham don't need anyone from us, playing well, good job we didn't meet them 2 games later.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 20, 2017, 01:25:00 AM
Reply #29

bluenuck

Besic
Mirallis
McCarthy
And Barkley if he wants off.

That's really it.

We have 5 games within 2 weeks coming up. Pretty sure Jags and Niasse are gonna have to play.