June 23, 2018, 11:50:49 AM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 10652 times)

February 09, 2018, 10:42:19 PM
Reply #105

Major Clanger

Not 100% convinced on the good player = good manager thing but if he wants to do it he should get his badges and work up, not a sweetheart deal at 35.

Not only that, you can't even guess the managerial style of someone based on the kind of player they used to be: Lobanovskyi had been an incredibly flamboyant winger, as a manager he turned into one of the strictest disciplinarians of his age.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

February 10, 2018, 01:58:29 AM
Reply #106

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Reckon there値l be a huge amount of build up to him finally becoming manager, then he値l probably do well in his first season, playing some divine football at times that we haven稚 seen at Everton in decades.

Then just as the fans hopes are raised about the glory days finally coming to Goodison, he値l fuck off to manage Man U.

February 10, 2018, 02:14:23 AM
Reply #107

sam of the south

Reckon there値l be a huge amount of build up to him finally becoming manager, then he値l probably do well in his first season, playing some divine football at times that we haven稚 seen at Everton in decades.

Then just as the fans hopes are raised about the glory days finally coming to Goodison, he値l fuck off to manage Man U.

Jesus, that's dark.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 10, 2018, 02:31:06 AM
Reply #108

bacon sarnie

Iain Dowie has a degree in engineering and doesn't sound very intelligent either.

And it's debatable how much intelligence (in the narrow sense) really contributes to the success of a manager.

Graeme Souness comes to mind.

February 10, 2018, 03:01:20 AM
Reply #109

ajax_andy

He only gets the reputation of being dumb because of where he's from.

Young, working class lad from Liverpool means dumb according to the gutter press.

No a lot of it comes from his behaviour off the field coupled with his lack of dedication to his fitness (drinking & smoking) which combined give the impression of someone not hugely intelligent

February 10, 2018, 03:19:22 AM
Reply #110

Alanvideo

We are special ,we are Everton.

February 10, 2018, 03:39:01 AM
Reply #111

Major Clanger

No a lot of it comes from his behaviour off the field coupled with his lack of dedication to his fitness (drinking & smoking) which combined give the impression of someone not hugely intelligent

Again, Lobanovskyi. :)

February 10, 2018, 03:47:07 AM
Reply #112

ajax_andy

Again, Lobanovskyi. :)

Of course people can change or mature and become more of a well rounded individual.  I just don't see Rooney being able to become a brilliantly minded tactician.

He has worked with Ferguson so no doubt could man manage and motivate, but his lack of dedication to his physical well-being points imo to someone whose not suddenly going to dedicate himself mentally to becoming a top level or even lower level manager

February 10, 2018, 03:50:45 AM
Reply #113

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Of course people can change or mature and become more of a well rounded individual.  I just don't see Rooney being able to become a brilliantly minded tactician.

He has worked with Ferguson so no doubt could man manage and motivate, but his lack of dedication to his physical well-being points imo to someone whose not suddenly going to dedicate himself mentally to becoming a top level or even lower level manager

Feel like this 'lack of dedication to fitness' is a big myth
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos l Everton!

February 10, 2018, 03:52:07 AM
Reply #114

ajax_andy

Feel like this 'lack of dedication to fitness' is a big myth

It's really not.  Who sits in a pool in Vegas drinking and smoking when their supposed to be getting fit for a world cup.

Plenty of examples like this over the years

February 10, 2018, 03:54:41 AM
Reply #115

Major Clanger

I think we massively overestimate how intelligent these managers are, again in terms of the sort of general intelligence measured by IQ tests and so on.

Ferguson probably wouldn't perform very well in a logical quiz, yet he was one of the most successful managers ever, and his longevity on the top was unrivalled. He was an absolute master of how to play mind games, he knew exactly how to motivate his team, he knew how to delegate, he knew when to get rid of players (but the one time he tried to be clever and use data, he got it horribly wrong).

None of it requires that sort of intelligence. It probably doesn't hurt if you've got it, but I think it matters far less than we'd like to think. (This is also true in many other walks of life, but that's a different story.)

February 10, 2018, 03:57:23 AM
Reply #116

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I知 going to be completely honest with you - I don稚 think it does.

He looks, talks and sometimes acts like a poor person - something this country is very good at is making people hate poor people.

Usually, it痴 young black men. If not black then a scouser will do, is the mentality.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 10, 2018, 03:57:47 AM
Reply #117

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
It's really not.  Who sits in a pool in Vegas drinking and smoking when their supposed to be getting fit for a world cup.

Who bloody doesn't?

February 10, 2018, 04:00:42 AM
Reply #118

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

Again, it could have been one or two days off in the summer. Fucking hell, im sure most footballers bar Ronaldo, do this, but because he is a working class scouser, he gets picked on and its all over the press.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos l Everton!

February 10, 2018, 04:02:18 AM
Reply #119

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Who bloody doesn't?

The generation that criticised him grew up idolising footballers that were literally wreckheads, is the mad thing.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.