September 23, 2018, 06:56:33 PM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 11931 times)

February 10, 2018, 05:40:53 PM
Reply #135

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Why should being a first team regular or a teams focal point aged 16 matter?

Itís not like other players arenít still playing football at that age - in reserves, u21 etc.

You could even argue that itís of benefit to rooney to be playing earlier as there will have been far more focus on him doing things like not playing too much football, having the right amount of recovery time after games, more care from physios, nutritionists etc.

Because players who start playing for the first team at such an early age have a history of declining a lot earlier than players who break through at the age of 20.

By the time he was 18 he was playing for Manchester United in the champions league whilst also playing for England, being the main focal point of both teams.

That's a whole lot different than playing reserve football where the standard was just about league two level back then.

February 10, 2018, 05:48:51 PM
Reply #136

Jamokachi

Why should being a first team regular or a teams focal point aged 16 matter?

Itís not like other players arenít still playing football at that age - in reserves, u21 etc.

You could even argue that itís of benefit to rooney to be playing earlier as there will have been far more focus on him doing things like not playing too much football, having the right amount of recovery time after games, more care from physios, nutritionists etc.

You're chatting shit here I'm afraid.

February 10, 2018, 05:53:08 PM
Reply #137

ajax_andy

No a drug dealer told me. True story.

I'm not sure using what Rooney's coke dealer said is a great way to backup your argument tbf 😂😂😂

*Not really suggesting Rooney takes drugs

February 10, 2018, 05:54:20 PM
Reply #138

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Because players who start playing for the first team at such an early age have a history of declining a lot earlier than players who break through at the age of 20.

By the time he was 18 he was playing for Manchester United in the champions league whilst also playing for England, being the main focal point of both teams.

Do they? I'm sure there are some, but there's plenty of examples of that not being the case.

Looking at other United stars, Beckham, Butt, Giggs, and Gary Neville all made their debut aged 17. None of them were going off the boil in their late 20s and none had declined anything like Rooney has. Giggs was playing to an incredible standard into his late 30s.

Some pretty massive revisionism going on here to pretend that Rooney couldn't have taken better care of himself or that's had nothing to do with his decline.

February 10, 2018, 05:55:29 PM
Reply #139

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
You're chatting shit here I'm afraid.

Quite possibly. Sticking to my guns though and let's see how it pans out.

February 10, 2018, 06:00:10 PM
Reply #140

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Do they? I'm sure there are some, but there's plenty of examples of that not being the case.

Looking at other United stars, Beckham, Butt, Giggs, and Gary Neville all made their debut aged 17. None of them were going off the boil in their late 20s and none had declined anything like Rooney has. Giggs was playing to an incredible standard into his late 30s.

Some pretty massive revisionism going on here to pretend that Rooney couldn't have taken better care of himself or that's had nothing to do with his decline.

Nicky butt? Don't even know what he was doing in his 30s

Beckham was in America

Neville massively declined and admits he should've retired sooner.

Majority of players out there decline when they hit their 30s, especially players who have been playing at the highest level for as long as Rooney has.

I personally find it a bit mad how anyone can question his dedication to the game considering all he has achieved.

Even now, at 32 he's probably the best player for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

February 10, 2018, 06:01:28 PM
Reply #141

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Only Giggs started playing that early and is a completely different physique to Rooney.

Iíd agree that knowing his body he would have had to be puritanical to cover what most players can probably get away with without worry.

But Rooney has put in years of massive energy performances. Theyíre bound to take their toll.

February 10, 2018, 06:02:28 PM
Reply #142

WeimaranerBlues

For me Wayne has lasted longer than everyone predicted-  breaking thruogh at 16 and a regular at 18-20,   everyone said he would be burnt out by 26,  so proved all the e-players and journo wrong

February 10, 2018, 06:14:53 PM
Reply #143

ajax_andy

Beckham was in America

Majority of players out there decline when they hit their 30s, especially players who have been playing at the highest level for as long as Rooney has.

I personally find it a bit mad how anyone can question his dedication to the game considering all he has achieved.

Even now, at 32 he's probably the best player for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Butt was playing at Newcastle to a high standard still

February 10, 2018, 06:20:43 PM
Reply #144

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

Beckham was in America

I'm not questioning his dedication, just reckon if he'd taken taken better care of himself he would've prolonged his time at the peak of his game. His decline started before he hit his 30s. With all the evidence around us of him doing stupid shit - getting battered, smoking, getting KOd, putting on weight in the summer, etc - it's not ridiculous to think this may have impacted his longevity.

February 10, 2018, 06:36:53 PM
Reply #145

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure using what Rooney's coke dealer said is a great way to backup your argument tbf 😂😂😂

*Not really suggesting Rooney takes drugs

It was bit tongue in cheek.

But that aside, the amount of games he's been involved in over the years shits on any idea that he's got fitness issues.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

February 10, 2018, 06:46:38 PM
Reply #146

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Butt was playing at Newcastle to a high standard still

He made 431 league appearances by the time he retired at 35. No idea on the starts / subs ratio but can guess that the Utd part would have had more subs that Rooney.

Rooney has 480 at 32. Most of which were at the best team in the country.

Thatís without CL games, England games etc.

No one, bar Newcastle fans, would have been bothered what Butt was doing for the last third of his career.

February 10, 2018, 07:09:38 PM
Reply #147

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I canít remember what study it was but Iím sure someone looked at champions leagues finals and found the majority of players who make it to cl finals (peak of club football surely) have been playing first team since 17 years old.

All that probably says is that elite talent breaks through earlier like, but I thought it was interesting.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 10, 2018, 07:17:10 PM
Reply #148

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I canít remember what study it was but Iím sure someone looked at champions leagues finals and found the majority of players who make it to cl finals (peak of club football surely) have been playing first team since 17 years old.

All that probably says is that elite talent breaks through earlier like, but I thought it was interesting.

Yes could see this being true.

But would be interesting to see what level - eg playing at 17 in Holland isnít as hard as here.

And does it just mean made their debut at 17, or starting most weeks?

February 10, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
Reply #149

van der Meyde

Yes could see this being true.

But would be interesting to see what level - eg playing at 17 in Holland isnít as hard as here.

And does it just mean made their debut at 17, or starting most weeks?
I think @brap2 is referring to this from Brian Marwood:

Brian Marwood, the Managing Director of City Football Services, agreed.

ďWe did some research last year and discovered that in the last 10 years 83% of players who featured in the quarter-final stage of the Champions League had all played first team football at 17,Ē he said.

It's not necessarily a case of elite talent breaking through earlier though - take a look at the players in last season's CL final, most started out at non-elite clubs with less competition. City believe, for example, that young players have improved because of the challenge of first team togger and because they've failed and learned from their mistakes.