December 12, 2018, 04:37:33 AM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 13330 times)

February 10, 2018, 09:21:24 PM
Reply #150

ajax_andy

He made 431 league appearances by the time he retired at 35. No idea on the starts / subs ratio but can guess that the Utd part would have had more subs that Rooney.

Rooney has 480 at 32. Most of which were at the best team in the country.

Thatís without CL games, England games etc.

No one, bar Newcastle fans, would have been bothered what Butt was doing for the last third of his career.

Not sure anyone gives a shit what Rooney's been doing in the last 3rd of his career either tbh

February 10, 2018, 09:52:19 PM
Reply #151

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure anyone gives a shit what Rooney's been doing in the last 3rd of his career either tbh

They do because heís been hammered for a lot of them.

February 10, 2018, 09:53:06 PM
Reply #152

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think @brap2 is referring to this from Brian Marwood:

It's not necessarily a case of elite talent breaking through earlier though - take a look at the players in last season's CL final, most started out at non-elite clubs with less competition. City believe, for example, that young players have improved because of the challenge of first team togger and because they've failed and learned from their mistakes.

Yes.

So in the context of this thread Rooney has had to have all that at elite level.

Thatís a burden.

February 15, 2018, 02:38:32 PM
Reply #153

Macca77

February 15, 2018, 02:46:05 PM
Reply #154

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Awful name

February 15, 2018, 02:51:16 PM
Reply #155

Cereal Killer

They wanted to go with Big Mac but found that name was copyrighted

February 15, 2018, 03:04:48 PM
Reply #156

Rodenplav64

I'm not questioning his dedication, just reckon if he'd taken taken better care of himself he would've prolonged his time at the peak of his game. His decline started before he hit his 30s. With all the evidence around us of him doing stupid shit - getting battered, smoking, getting KOd, putting on weight in the summer, etc - it's not ridiculous to think this may have impacted his longevity.

I think that's a fair point to make but it is also a massive ask of a sportsman to do all that . Maybe its general lack of nouse on his part . The feeling that he could achieve a level because of his natural ability after taking his foot off the pedal for periods of time but not really appreciating that it gets harder and harder to do . His build does have a lot to do with it though and he hasn't really had too many injuries ( compare him to Sturridge ) in his career . He is still a very good player and is certainly no back number as far as EFC are concerned .

February 16, 2018, 01:33:53 AM
Reply #157

Macca77

February 16, 2018, 02:05:17 AM
Reply #158

bacon sarnie

Awful name

Can't get past the letter 'C'.

Best keep the kid away from chicken sandwiches.....

February 16, 2018, 03:10:12 AM
Reply #159

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Happy to admit I didnít want him because he looked more finished than an empty bottle of Finish.

However, simply through just being a good quality player heís looked at times head and shoulder above the crap we put out. A genuinely world class player in his prime and I think we may get 2/3ds of a season out of him next year even.

As I said previously priority is back up / replacement for his job in the middle of the pitch - be a ball magnet who can pass forwards, would be great if they had legs as well but I doubt weíll get doucoure now spurs are after him.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 16, 2018, 03:21:25 AM
Reply #160

Alanvideo

Happy to admit I didn’t want him because he looked more finished than an empty bottle of Finish.

However, simply through just being a good quality player he’s looked at times head and shoulder above the crap we put out. A genuinely world class player in his prime and I think we may get 2/3ds of a season out of him next year even.

As I said previously priority is back up / replacement for his job in the middle of the pitch - be a ball magnet who can pass forwards, would be great if they had legs as well but I doubt we’ll get doucoure now spurs are after him.
.....................as well as Rooney  we have Sigurdson and Walcott and those three are in a different class to the rest of the cloggers. I hope they can encourage the young lads like Holgate ,Kenny ,Davies ,DCL and Lookman when he returns  .
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 16, 2018, 02:13:04 PM
Reply #161

Toddacelli

https://twitter.com/ColeenRoo/status/964014326704197632

It's a good job he's got a world famous dad - otherwise he'd have to spend the rest of his life explaining that his name isn't 'Cass McRooney'.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

February 16, 2018, 03:17:51 PM
Reply #162

boothill

No a lot of it comes from his behaviour off the field coupled with his lack of dedication to his fitness (drinking & smoking) which combined give the impression of someone not hugely intelligent
Johann cruyff drank, smoked and couldnt keep his little fella in his pants, would you look at him the same way as rooney ?

February 16, 2018, 04:23:00 PM
Reply #163

ajax_andy

Johann cruyff drank, smoked and couldnt keep his little fella in his pants, would you look at him the same way as rooney ?

Different playing field, today's footballers are or at least should be highly tuned athletes so you can't compare them to the old days

February 16, 2018, 04:25:21 PM
Reply #164

blue slug

They wanted to go with Big Mac but found that name was copyrighted

They could of used grand Mac up until a couple of weeks back 😉