December 13, 2018, 04:27:52 PM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 41070 times)

January 08, 2018, 04:43:19 PM
Read 41070 times

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Canít agree more and letís try and introduce a more attacking style dependant on filling our required positions.
It will be a gamble however it would enable us to hit the ground running next season.

Based on Sam's past he's likely to wait until we hit the 40 point mark before he starts to introduce more attacking play.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

February 05, 2018, 09:00:52 PM
Reply #1

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
We're in danger of going a bit overboard here.

I'm a big fan of Lookman and really want him to do well but he's only played 12 mins for Leipzig.

He scored after 1 min of his debut for us against the current league leaders but couldn't consistently put it together for 90 mins.

The reasoning for sending him to the championship would have been that it is similar to the Premier League in terms of physicality and he would have got more opportunities compared to Leipzig where he will face more competition for his place. However, maybe the less physical nature of the German league might benefit him.

Hopefully, after this blistering start he gets the opportunity to do it consistently over 90 mins for a run of games before the end of the season.

It's also good for him to be as far away from this pile of bollocks as possible at the moment

Was he even given a chance?

I can't remember if ever got 2 consecutive 90 minutes under his belt.

February 06, 2018, 06:38:29 AM
Reply #2

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I genuinely cannot understand him stating he felt Leipzig was 'beyond' Lookman yet the lad scores the winner the other night...

Did he actually say that though, that Leipzig was 'beyond' him? From the interview I saw he just said it's a tough league and he didn't want him to leave.

April 16, 2018, 12:29:48 AM
Reply #3

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber

April 17, 2018, 01:47:18 AM
Reply #4

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Not what Leipzig seems to think given he is playing regularly for them, and they are fifth in the Bundesliga.

How many minutes has he played for then since signing?

Edit: I've just found out.

He's never completed 90 mins (as far as I can see).
He's started 3, come off the bench in 4 (usually last 15 mins).

Out of possible 990 mins he's played 270 minutes.

I'm not sure 'regularly' quite fits. 'Occasionally' might be more accurate.

He's not really playing any more for them than he was for us before he left.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:57:34 AM by Duncs_a_legend »

April 17, 2018, 02:00:39 AM
Reply #5

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
270. More than he got here but still not a lot in 2 1/2 months.

From November to January 5th (last game he played for us) he actually played in more games and scored the same amount of goals for us.

Was out the team in the few weeks before he made the transfer like, so I suppose he could still have ended getting more at RB. Never know if he would have worked his way back in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:13:50 AM by Duncs_a_legend »

April 17, 2018, 03:24:56 PM
Reply #6

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, that definitely counts as playing regularly. It might not count as starting regularly, but that is not what I said. And, no, it is significantly more meaningful time than he was getting for us before he left.

It's not though. He's getting the odd game. Barely the equivalent of 1 in 4 (in terms of minutes)

If you look at the facts, in the 2 1/2 months before he left he played in the exact same amount of games and scored the exact same amount of goals with us as he has with RB. He actually played more minutes with us and did play a full 90 minutes, that's including the 3 weeks or so that he was out of the team before he left on loan.

So he actually was playing more football here over the same period.

I'm not saying that would have continued (although Allardyce said publicly he didn't want him to go).
But there's a bit of nonsense being thrown out when people suggest he was not being played regularly here, but he is at RB.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:30:48 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

April 17, 2018, 09:58:42 PM
Reply #7

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
You are equating his Europa league playing time with his playing time for Liepzig in the Bundesliga. They are not equivalent, especially considering the last few Europa league games were throw-away matches for us. And when you look at playing time in league, it becomes clear that Lookman is receiving more meaningful time now. Out of 17 premier league matches for Everton this season, Lookman started 1, was a substitute in 6, and did not play in 10 -- i.e., he received playing time in only 41% of Premier League matches. Out of 10 Bundesliga matches for Liepzig this season, Lookman has started 3, was a substitute in 4, and did not play in 3 -- i.e., he has received playing time in 70% of Bundesliga matches and, in 7 fewer matches, two more starts than he did in the Prem.

You obviously have a narrative you want to push. So we should probably just end this conversation now.

He's been at RB for around 11 weeks and in the 11 weeks prior to leaving us he played in the same amount of games. 5 Prem games, 1 Europa league game and 1 FA cup game which was against Liverpool.

1 Europa league game was a dead rubber, that's about it.

I'd say playing in a derby is quite a meaningful game.

Only narrative is the one that we have somehow overseen some emerging talent and not offered him the same playing time as RB, when in fact it's pretty similar.

As I've said, no one knows if he would have broken in to the team more, hopefully RB start to play him regularly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:06:03 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

April 17, 2018, 10:15:24 PM
Reply #8

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber

April 30, 2018, 06:29:42 AM
Reply #9

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Was on the wrong end of a 3-0 thrashing. Subbed at 65 mins.

June 13, 2018, 04:26:14 AM
Reply #10

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Changed the game like no one else had done when he come on this season.