February 24, 2018, 02:44:20 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 8750 times)

February 06, 2018, 12:19:16 AM
Reply #90

bluenuck

Don't know if this has been posted.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/evertons-transfer-plan-flawed-as-ademola-lookman-lights-up-leipzig-hg9p6vqq8

February 06, 2018, 03:13:41 AM
Reply #91

Juanito

February 06, 2018, 04:08:36 AM
Reply #92

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Could someone copy/paste that article? Muchas gracias.

February 06, 2018, 05:44:18 AM
Reply #93

bluenuck

Sam Allardyce might have hoped that his critique of Everton’s pathetic (his words) defeat by Arsenal would, in some way, have soothed the pain and yet he only succeeded in adding to the sense of disillusionment festering among a seething support.

The headline confession that he had borrowed the game plan of Swansea City, who had beaten Arsène Wenger’s side four days earlier, and attempted to replicate it overlooked the reality that he has different players. For a start he has Michael Keane, not Alfie Mawson, in his defence.

However, it was the reasoning behind his insistence that Ademola Lookman would have made no difference to an abject 5-1 reverse at the Emirates that served to expose the sheer scale of the mess that has enveloped Everton.

“No,” Allardyce said. “We’ve got £20 million Theo Walcott and £30 million Yannick Bolasie and if you’d put him [Lookman] out there he wouldn’t have done any better than the rest because the whole team played crap.”

Never mind that Lookman had just stepped off the substitutes’ bench for Champions League-chasing RB Leipzig in his first game after his deadline day loan move to Germany, streaked past Borussia Mönchengladbach’s retreating defenders before finding the corner of the net in a cutting cameo that his parent club have been crying out for this season.

By Allardyce’s rationale, £21 million Cenk Tosun would have come on before £1.5million Dominic Calvert-Lewin in the second half. That the Turkey forward did not is something else for Everton to worry about. Everton are surely the last club that should be equating price tags to quality given the bucket loads of money they have wasted over the past 18-months in arguably the worst spending spree in football history and one which has left director of football, Steve Walsh, enduring death by 200 million cuts.

Competition is tough but Lookman may actually stand as the most pertinent symbol of Everton’s flawed transfer strategy.

One tranche of Walsh’s policy was to recruit the best youngsters in the country. Lookman arrived from Charlton Athletic last January for £11 million only to become so desperate to leave within 12 months due to a lack of opportunities that he was prepared to go against Everton’s wishes by moving to the Bundesliga rather than Championship high-fliers Derby County.

One of the Merseyside club’s unique selling points has been their willingness to give youth a chance and they can reel out the statistics that point out that they have given more minutes to youngsters than any other top-flight club this season. Yet examine that more closely and the burden was placed on them because a replacement for Romelu Lukaku was not immediately recruited.

Jonjoe Kenny has played primarily because of injuries, while Tom Davies has been in and out of the side during a difficult second season.

Allardyce was brought in to steer the club away from the relegation zone. He will do that despite the weekend embarrassment. But Everton are not just losing games, they are in danger of losing their identity.

February 06, 2018, 06:32:28 AM
Reply #94

Thomas

Don't know if this has been posted.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/evertons-transfer-plan-flawed-as-ademola-lookman-lights-up-leipzig-hg9p6vqq8

I genuinely cannot understand him stating he felt Leipzig was 'beyond' Lookman yet the lad scores the winner the other night...

February 06, 2018, 06:38:29 AM
Reply #95

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I genuinely cannot understand him stating he felt Leipzig was 'beyond' Lookman yet the lad scores the winner the other night...

Did he actually say that though, that Leipzig was 'beyond' him? From the interview I saw he just said it's a tough league and he didn't want him to leave.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

February 06, 2018, 06:40:02 AM
Reply #96

bluenuck

I said it in the transfer thread that he'll love that league. It's a great league for attacking players with creative and imaginative head coaches. You won't see guys like Pardew, Allardyce and Pulis coaching in that league.

February 06, 2018, 06:40:26 AM
Reply #97

Thomas

Did he actually say that though, that Leipzig was 'beyond' him? From the interview I saw he just said it's a tough league and he didn't want him to leave.

Not but thats basically how i interpreted it. I also believe SA didn't want him here. Just instinct.

February 06, 2018, 08:05:57 AM
Reply #98

bluenuck

I believe he said it was tough because he won't know the language. From what I know Leipzig have at least 6 non Germans who are constantly in and out of the starting 11.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:02:13 AM by bluenuck »

February 10, 2018, 03:55:20 AM
Reply #99

Fynci

Another 11 minute substitute appearance tonight, although he didn't bother scoring this time. ;)
Cool + 380
Tool - 0

February 10, 2018, 02:57:43 PM
Reply #100

BlueForYou

Same role, different club
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

February 10, 2018, 03:48:45 PM
Reply #101

Lxxx

The lad should have been out on loan last September playing every week for a full season same as Dowell. The fact he was overlooked in our quest to amass the biggest first team squad in our history is a sad indictment of our footballing strategy. Or lack of it.

February 10, 2018, 04:48:08 PM
Reply #102

KoemansNumberTens

Surely if this continues we'll have to concede allardyce was right and he shouldn't have gone there. Not much point sending someone out on loan so they can play 10 minutes a week. He needs a loan where he's playing most of the minutes

February 10, 2018, 04:56:11 PM
Reply #103

GrantyBoy78

Surely if this continues we'll have to concede allardyce was right and he shouldn't have gone there. Not much point sending someone out on loan so they can play 10 minutes a week. He needs a loan where he's playing most of the minutes
We know he’s got the ability to come on  and change games. He needs to prove he can look after the ball and contribute to the team over 90 mins.

February 10, 2018, 05:18:01 PM
Reply #104

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber

Kid's been in Germany for 10 days. He's two games in.

Can hardly write him off as a 10 min sub and concede either side was right at this stage.