October 16, 2018, 05:07:48 PM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 38028 times)

February 10, 2018, 08:11:13 PM
Read 38028 times

van der Meyde

Can you blame him for going against the clubs suggestions with regards to a loan?

Look at the players we’ve had out over the last 2 years, there’s been far more badly advised loan deals than good. In fact other than Dowell who’s worked out?
Jonjoe Kenny at Wigan/Oxford. Liam Walsh at Yeovil.

This season: Joe Williams at Barnsley, Callum Connolly at Ipswich, Antonee Robinson at Bolton.

Plenty of bad ones though, aye. I tend to think going off to Germany, playing in different tactical systems with and against good players will be better for Lookman than Derby personally.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:19:43 PM by van der Meyde »

February 10, 2018, 09:58:50 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Yeah I just don’t think he’s doing it for us.
I wouldn't expect any player to though.

And with 3 years left on his contract, he doesn't really hold all the cards either.

February 10, 2018, 10:01:15 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

No if it was me I’d want to play for Leipzig.

But I’m just thinking from efc point of view.
Would also add that even if he was putting himself in the shop window somewhat at Leipzig, the same would be true at Derby.

EFC's perspective might be that he's better off at Derby, but given some of the loan moves our players have had recently, they're not necessarily right. Tom Lawrence has been one of Derby's best players this season and he plays in the same position as Lookman, for example.

February 10, 2018, 11:44:31 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

I’d expect a young player too, I think.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

On the face of it, Derby might make more sense to Everton but, in general, I don't think we've really put a lot of thought into some of these development loans. Galloway going off on loan to a Pulis side last season was always a massive risk, for example. Did we loan to them because we thought that was the best option at the time - or did they, perhaps, just pay us the biggest fee?

I suspect youth players are going to become more powerful in this regard in the near future. The player (and their agents!) have much more at stake than the club in these matters after all.

February 10, 2018, 11:52:03 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

Maybe!

We’ll see if he’s improved with more appearances for us next season ;)
I suspect his decision making will have improved, but we won't be able to rely on him defensively. :)

February 20, 2018, 07:35:11 PM
Reply #5

van der Meyde

Once again, this should be Walsh’s remit. A manager on a short term contract shouldn’t be making long term decisions at the club.
Aye. It wasn't Allardyce who signed Sigurdsson for £45m and shoved him into the team ahead in Lookman's position either, was it.

February 26, 2018, 12:18:30 AM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

Glad he's still getting a game even with Forsberg back.

Think he'll continue to get plenty of minutes now, providing Leipzig stay in the Europa.

April 30, 2018, 06:31:44 PM
Reply #7

van der Meyde

The intensity issue is the key.

Being thrown on for cameo sub appearances, with an “express yourself remit” etc isn’t the same pressure as having responsibility for starting games where mistakes even early on in a game may cost you.

He’s been starting more games recently so that’s good.

And I’ve no problem with players looking out for themselves but lots of people do. He’s just got an easy ride because most people don’t like Allardyce otherwise I think he would have been panned for going against club wishes.
I've said similar before, but even if he has gone against the club's wishes, it doesn't mean that the club's decision was right for his development.

I think there's very much a progressive argument to make that sending young players abroad - and exposing them to other cultures/styles of play - is the right thing to do here. For attacking players at least, anyway.

There probably was a 'feathering his own nest' side to it as you suggest, but on our side of it, his decision's probably vindicated in that he's actually been starting some games and coming off the bench.

When you've got people like Royle/Dobson, Walsh and Allardyce making decisions on loans, you're probably only ever going to get them going to British clubs because that's what they're used to. This might make sense if you don't think they're ever going to make it at Premier League level, give them experience of the rough and tumble of the lower leagues. If they're likely to be top level players though, I'm not sure it does.

June 10, 2018, 06:28:30 AM
Reply #8

van der Meyde

Err you don’t pick the team Marcel.

Just sayin’.
He can restrict Silva's options in that position so that Lookman has to be picked though. :)