September 22, 2018, 10:35:39 PM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 36733 times)

February 10, 2018, 10:01:15 PM
Reply #120

van der Meyde

No if it was me Id want to play for Leipzig.

But Im just thinking from efc point of view.
Would also add that even if he was putting himself in the shop window somewhat at Leipzig, the same would be true at Derby.

EFC's perspective might be that he's better off at Derby, but given some of the loan moves our players have had recently, they're not necessarily right. Tom Lawrence has been one of Derby's best players this season and he plays in the same position as Lookman, for example.

February 10, 2018, 10:02:23 PM
Reply #121

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I wouldn't expect any player to though.

And with 3 years left on his contract, he doesn't really hold all the cards either.

Id expect a young player too, I think.

Derby at the moment is what youd class as a standard, experience gaining loan.

Leipzig isnt an obvious choice as a) not guaranteed to start b) the league isnt as relevant.

So if people are hammering the club then it should be remembered that he might not want to be here. Which normally doesnt go down well.

February 10, 2018, 11:44:31 PM
Reply #122

van der Meyde

Id expect a young player too, I think.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

On the face of it, Derby might make more sense to Everton but, in general, I don't think we've really put a lot of thought into some of these development loans. Galloway going off on loan to a Pulis side last season was always a massive risk, for example. Did we loan to them because we thought that was the best option at the time - or did they, perhaps, just pay us the biggest fee?

I suspect youth players are going to become more powerful in this regard in the near future. The player (and their agents!) have much more at stake than the club in these matters after all.

February 10, 2018, 11:47:40 PM
Reply #123

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

On the face of it, Derby might make more sense to Everton but, in general, I don't think we've really put a lot of thought into some of these development loans. Galloway going off on loan to a Pulis side last season was always a massive risk, for example. Did we loan to them because we thought that was the best option at the time - or did they, perhaps, just pay us the biggest fee?

I suspect youth players are going to become more powerful in this regard in the near future. The player (and their agents!) have much more at stake than the club in these matters after all.

Maybe!

Well see if hes improved with more appearances for us next season ;)

February 10, 2018, 11:52:03 PM
Reply #124

van der Meyde

Maybe!

Well see if hes improved with more appearances for us next season ;)
I suspect his decision making will have improved, but we won't be able to rely on him defensively. :)

February 11, 2018, 04:03:34 AM
Reply #125

Lxxx

There have been rumours around for a while that he was homesick. Which might have played into his choice of wanting a clean break and to experience somewhere completely new and different rather than moving to another place in the UK just to be homesick in a different city here.

February 11, 2018, 04:16:44 AM
Reply #126

Heisenberg

I mean the 90 minute match they play every weekend is just a snippet of a footballers week really. Will be much more beneficial to him training every day with world class coaching and team mates than getting vollied by a bunch of yard dogs for 90mins of a weekend in the championship. He's already proven he can do it in the championship

February 11, 2018, 04:17:34 AM
Reply #127

Lxxx

I mean the 90 minute match they play every weekend is just a snippet of a footballers week really. Will be much more beneficial to him training every day with world class coaching and team mates than getting vollied by a bunch of yard dogs for 90mins of a weekend in the championship. He's already proven he can do it in the championship

He came from League One.

February 11, 2018, 04:18:46 AM
Reply #128

Heisenberg

He came from League One.

My point still stands

February 11, 2018, 05:03:57 AM
Reply #129

MmmblueBernard

There have been rumours around for a while that he was homesick. Which might have played into his choice of wanting a clean break and to experience somewhere completely new and different rather than moving to another place in the UK just to be homesick in a different city here.

Homesick young English footballers dont go to Germany to get over said homesickness.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

February 11, 2018, 05:15:44 AM
Reply #130

Lxxx

Homesick young English footballers dont go to Germany to get over said homesickness.

I think my post was pretty self explanatory

February 12, 2018, 12:36:30 AM
Reply #131

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Youd never send players out on loan if that was the case as wed always have better facilities coaches than lower league sides.

I can see the argument that if he gets 30 min run outs for them then thats better than 90 mins at championship level.

But training doesnt have the risk factor that real games do.

February 12, 2018, 04:14:00 AM
Reply #132

Heisenberg

Youd never send players out on loan if that was the case as wed always have better facilities coaches than lower league sides.

I can see the argument that if he gets 30 min run outs for them then thats better than 90 mins at championship level.

But training doesnt have the risk factor that real games do.

I get your point that game time is important. But to a player like Lookman I really think he's better off with say 15 mins in a top league that 60 in a lower league where they'll boot him everywhere due to his style

February 12, 2018, 06:32:34 PM
Reply #133

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I get your point that game time is important. But to a player like Lookman I really think he's better off with say 15 mins in a top league that 60 in a lower league where they'll boot him everywhere due to his style

My worry with cameos is that hes likely to be used with a remit of go one and try something.

Whereas it looks like he needs the pressure of the responsibility that starting games brings.

February 12, 2018, 06:55:32 PM
Reply #134

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
At the moment he gets 10 minutes so hope that improves... Then Again it was 10 minutes more than Sandro